Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I own a 2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL and I'm coming up on 65,000 miles. Still have original Michelin LTX/MS tires and original suspension. The ride isn't as smooth. I'm sure new tires will help. At what point on average, do most Ridgeline's need new struts and shocks?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Push down on each corner of the vehicle. If it bounces more than once or there are signs of fluid leakage, replacement is justified. Decades ago, shock damper replacement was almost as routine as oil changes are today. That is no longer the case. Some vehicles that spend their entire lives on smooth pavement many never see a shock replacement.

Keep in mind that as shocks wear the ride actually becomes smoother (albeit nauseating and less controlled) because vertical movement of the wheel is absorbed by the spring instead of being transmitted to the vehicle through the shock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Push down on each corner of the vehicle. If it bounces more than once or there are signs of fluid leakage, replacement is justified. Decades ago, shock damper replacement was almost as routine as oil changes are today. That is no longer the case. Some vehicles that spend their entire lives on smooth pavement many never see a shock replacement.

Keep in mind that as shocks wear the ride actually becomes smoother (albeit nauseating and less controlled) because vertical movement of the wheel is absorbed by the spring instead of being transmitted to the vehicle through the shock.
No sign of leakage what so ever. I'll try your technique. Thanks so much for the insight and advice!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My symptoms for replacement came upon me slowly. I rotate my tires religiously every 5,000 miles along with oil changes. My tires started cupping on the outer edges. This started occurring at about 120,000 miles. My tire company said it was time for new struts.

The funny thing is that I drive 100 to 150 miles every day and I didn't feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel, but it was there.

I should have replaced mine earlier and I will now with the lifetime struts. The company says they should be replaced at about 100,000 with normal driving.

As long as I drive this Ridgeline the struts, installation and alignment will be free.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Several years ago when I was still in the automotive repair business, a Monroe rep showed me a video where they tested OEM shock and strut components. According to their research, which, of course, is designed to sell replacement shocks, but was a "scientific study", vehicles demonstrated a good deal of degradation in their strut performance after only 50k miles that is not detectable in a jounce test done by hand. Simply because a vehicle doesn't bounce more than one time doesn't mean that the struts are still capable of providing the performance even close to what they were as new. I don't think I'd replace my struts at 50k unless they were bouncing or leaking, but I probably would (and have) at 100k.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Several years ago when I was still in the automotive repair business, a Monroe rep showed me a video where they tested OEM shock and strut components. According to their research, which, of course, is designed to sell replacement shocks, but was a "scientific study", vehicles demonstrated a good deal of degradation in their strut performance after only 50k miles that is not detectable in a jounce test done by hand. Simply because a vehicle doesn't bounce more than one time doesn't mean that the struts are still capable of providing the performance even close to what they were as new. I don't think I'd replace my struts at 50k unless they were bouncing or leaking, but I probably would (and have) at 100k.
Yes, I think that is correct. Mine would pass that test at 120,000 miles. The problem was very minor but it was degrading my tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts