• Regular ol' motor oil

Votes: 46 33.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking rtbaron's idea and adding a polling feature.

~Original Question~
"How many out there are planning to use synthetic oil in their new Ridgeline. Is it really worth the extra cost. And yes, I do believe Honda will honor any problems even if you use the synthetic oils."

·
Registered
167 Posts
"Maybe". If I do the oil change myself then yes otherwise no (more likely that I won't).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Changed last weekend (Friday afternoon, June 3rd, 2005) to Mobil 1 5W20 weight and a Mobil 1 oil filter (part number: Mobil 1 110). Sent in a sample of the original "factory" break-in oil to Blackstone Laboratories for an analyis and a TBN count. Should have the results back soon and will post the information on this site. Oil change mileage was over 6,000 miles and "Hal" still read 5% till service due...Needed to change due to an up-coming long trip and didn't want to get caught on the road. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
That was a smart move, Nicholas. Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nicholas said:
Changed last weekend (Friday afternoon, June 3rd, 2005) to Mobil 1 5W20 weight and a Mobil 1 oil filter (part number: Mobil 1 110). Sent in a sample of the original "factory" break-in oil to Blackstone Laboratories for an analyis and a TBN count. Should have the results back soon and will post the information on this site. Oil change mileage was over 6,000 miles and "Hal" still read 5% till service due...Needed to change due to an up-coming long trip and didn't want to get caught on the road. :rolleyes:
if i remember correctly, the 5% mark is optimal time to be changed anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will be using Mobil 1. Have used it for years in GM and Honda vehicles with no problems. I also change my own oil and filter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
maybe we should revisit the poll from last year.

Seems to be a little spat going on...:eek:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I use Havoline 5W20 regular dino oil. I have probably posted to every oil thread here for nearly a year and I say the same thing over and over. For my kind of driving habits, my kind of driving conditions and the number of miles (50000) or years (5 years) that I intend to keep the truck, synthetic oil would be a waste of money for me. If my situation were different, I would have to look at all my options and find a level of protection for my truck to suit those conditions and my own comfort level. That might mean a switch to synthetic, then again, it might not.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I made the switch on the last scheduled oil change from regular to synthetic oil. The engine seemed to run a lot smoother longer. Switching to the billet aluminum ultimate oil filter on the next oil change. It's a reusable oil filter by just washing the filter it self.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use Redline right now. Smooth and nice. I'm getting a bit concerned about warranty issues though since the oil isn't API certified (even though it's an extremely good oil). My wife just got a new 2006 Civic and this has put even more importance on using an API oil. I'm not as big a fan of Mobil 1 as I once was (reported valve train noise....and I've heard it myself in a CRV) so I'll probably start using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. It's not as good as Redline or Mobil 1's base, but it's darn close.....and cheaper as well.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
basils said:
I use Redline right now. Smooth and nice. I'm getting a bit concerned about warranty issues though since the oil isn't API certified (even though it's an extremely good oil). My wife just got a new 2006 Civic and this has put even more importance on using an API oil. I'm not as big a fan of Mobil 1 as I once was (reported valve train noise....and I've heard it myself in a CRV) so I'll probably start using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. It's not as good as Redline or Mobil 1's base, but it's darn close.....and cheaper as well.
You can use the "duh" factor. If your engine dies, you can always drain out what's in there and put in Honda 5w-20 and then have the dealer check it and you say 'duh' I don't know what happened, it just stopped working. I use Redline myself after extensive research and consideration, mainly because my '05 Ody makes a racket with Mobil 1 but runs very quite with Redline and I'd rather only stock 1 type of oil in my garage. I'm darn sure I have a greater chance of getting hit by lighting than some oil actually causing a catostrophic failure so I'm sticking with Redline for now which I've never seen a negative report on and the company doesn't try to dupe the public with marketing double speak.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Vertrkr,
Can't do the 'duh' thing.....I'd be lying. I'm no saint but I want to be an honest person and feel clean when I look in the mirror. You're right about the odd's of Honda calling me on an oil issue......but if they did, I'd be toast. I know that Redline is about the very best oil on the planet.....I just wish they would get an API certification. More folks would probably buy the oil too.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
basils said:
Vertrkr,
Can't do the 'duh' thing.....I'd be lying. I'm no saint but I want to be an honest person and feel clean when I look in the mirror. You're right about the odd's of Honda calling me on an oil issue......but if they did, I'd be toast. I know that Redline is about the very best oil on the planet.....I just wish they would get an API certification. More folks would probably buy the oil too.
I'm by no means advocating lying but rather protecting yourself by not giving them a chance to pin it on you. Granted there's a bit of gray area here but give your dead truck to the dealer saying sorry I used non-API certified oil and they'll investigate no further and pin the cost on you magnuson warranty act be damned. At that point you'll have to hire a good attorney and go thru the long agonizing process and money to get to the root of cause of failure. I'm just saying saying protect yourself and let the dealer/Honda figure out the cause and let your morals go from there.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would like to see the dealer deny a claim using Redline Oils.........

Not gonna happen

·
Registered
678 Posts
It wouldn't be the dealer, it would be the 'God's' at Honda. All they would have to do is say that per the manual and the contractual warranty agreement I didn't use an API certified lubricant. By law I would be in a very tough spot. If Honda could tell me that they wouldn't do that I would use Redline for the life of our new vehicles....otherwise I'm getting chicken!:(

·
Registered
230 Posts
Castrol Gtx 5/20 is what is used in all my vehicles. Oil and filter changed every 3000 miles by me so at 10.00 cost it is easy and cheap. I just sold my Nissan 4x4 with 180,000 miles on it and the moter was absolutly clean and made zero valve or bearing noise. My Hondas have the same great results with some over 200,000 miles and still motoring . Just as a note, I made the mistake of using synthetic GL-5 in my tranny on the Nissan and it ruined the brass rings and caused rapid wear on the bearings in the main and countershafts. GL-5 is a HIGH sulphur content lube for extreme pressure applications and must NEVER be used in anything that has"yellow metal" (brass etc).
Sorry to get slightly off track here...BTW Castrol Syntorq is a synthetic gear oil that IS GL-4 and "yellow metal " safe!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Always use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles including my Harley. And, I have never had any type of engine problem/failure in any of the cars/trucks/motorcycles even though the mechanics at the HD dealership told me that my engine would blow using synthetic oil. I guess it was just a ploy to push the $6.00 a quart HD oil.

Can't go wrong with Mobil 1 IMHO.

·
Registered
670 Posts
After what I read in Consumer Reports a few years ago, among other articles, I use regular oil.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
With the new technology of the engines now days you really don't need synthetic.....especially with foreign makes. Older american vehicles....indeed i would use synthetic

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Changed yesterday at 10.8k miles to Mobil1 5w20 and Supertech filter. Good for the environment is all I need to know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts