Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...the worn out question...Do I use syn or conventional oil for my first oil change? Also, those of you running synthetic, do you change it when the oil life percentage on the computer tells you to do so? I have used synthetic on most of my vehicles in the past but I am wondering about this one.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I went to synthetic at around 24,000 miles and changed again at 28,000......I have 31,000 now and 50% oil life and have been changing at about 30% life prior.......I do keep other variables in mind.....for instance, if I am going to take a long road trip and I am close, I will go ahead and change it....I keep a close eye on it......I'm sure I will get chastized by someone for pissing money away, but I prefer to err on the side of caution......:)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the Ridgeline that the Honda Dealer sells.
The only reason I did not use he Mobil 1 synthetec on the 1st oil change is because the !st oil change was free from dealership. The next oil change service I had them use the Mobil 1 synthetic & used it the service after that. I also have been doing the samething with my Acura the Acura dealer sells Mobil 1 synthectic as well. As for going by the Maint Minder I go a little past the mileage when it says service due this is not by that much. I would say maybe 200-1,000 miles depeng on what it calls for. The last service I had done only called for the oil change, tire rotation & A/C Cabin & Engine Air Filters to be changed. It also had other checks to be done like brakes. The filters had already been done earlier at another service so it was not time for them.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
your truck, your choice, do what you think is best.

I use conventional oil, and it has served me well. I think I am going in for my 21st oil change this week. A little over 7,000 miles between oil changes. I save the synthetic oil for my John Deere lawn tractor.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
your truck, your choice, do what you think is best.

I use conventional oil, and it has served me well. I think I am going in for my 21st oil change this week. A little over 7,000 miles between oil changes. I save the synthetic oil for my John Deere lawn tractor.
Nothing runs like a synthetic Deere.......:D

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,157 Posts
So...the worn out question...Do I use syn or conventional oil for my first oil change? Also, those of you running synthetic, do you change it when the oil life percentage on the computer tells you to do so? I have used synthetic on most of my vehicles in the past but I am wondering about this one.
My personal preference is to run synthetic oil. Especially in an area with cold temps like you have. Syn oil has much better cold flow characteristics than conventional oils. That being said, there's nothing wrong with conventional oils. I just think syn oil is superior and have been willing to pay the difference. The cost difference is not all that much (as I do my own oil changes) compared to the cost of having the dealer change it with conventional oil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I contribute horribly to a massive carbon footprint so my input is probably not best.

I use full synthetics only (with the exception of one of my old jeeps), and change every 5K or 6 months, whichever is shorter. For my domestics, I wait until 10K has passed to switch to synthetic. On my Asian and Euro vehicles, I switch at first change.

I'm toying with extended OCI's on the Ridge, however (looking at the new Castrol Edge...but need to see some UOAs posted on BITOG first).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Penzoil full syn, called CHEAP insurance :D

Only $23 for 5 quarts. I run puralator or wix filters.

Both of my dealers use cheap oil brands, so I forced to do it myself :confused:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Lehigh Valley, PA I finally have a friend. Holly Crap........ Sorry to go off topic. Where abouts????

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Penzoil full syn, called CHEAP insurance :D

Only $23 for 5 quarts. I run puralator or wix filters.

Both of my dealers use cheap oil brands, so I forced to do it myself :confused:
They don't offer Mobil 1 oil ?
I can not remember when my Acura dealer started using Mobil 1 most likely after 04 or 05. I was getting the Mobl 1 put in at another independent shop or buying it myself & letting them put it in.
After we got the Ridgeline I noticed the Honda dealership had it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: Synthetic or Conventional Oil

They don't offer Mobil 1 oil ?
I can not remember when my Acura dealer started using Mobil 1 most likely after 04 or 05. I was getting the Mobil 1 put in at another independent shop or buying it myself & letting them put it in.
After we got the Ridgeline I noticed the Honda dealership had it.

No one place offers Castrol, other bulk oil of some brand of the week.

Kinda a bigger fan of Penz or Valvoline full syn oils now then mobil 1.

I have no garage so lying in the dirt/gravel sucks at 41.

BTW, the dealer ruined my inner fender liner, the bent it out of the way to change the filter. Now it permanently bent.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I buy my own syn. oil. Bring to dealer and let them change it. Just switched to Pennzoil Platimum syn. oil because it was only $23.50 at Walmart for 5 qts. When my MM says it is 15% or less I go get some more oil .

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Like I menioned upthread I just took the RL in for its 21st oil change of conventional oil today.

I love the reaction of the techs when they see my truck, the mileage it has, its lack of problems in its service history, and its overall condition.

·
Registered
357 Posts
buy my own syn. oil. Bring to dealer and let them change it.
I'm hopelessly paranoid and suspicious. ;)

I keep picturing my M1 EP getting put into the tech's trunk and bulk 5W20 getting put into my vehicle.

I have trust issues with dealerships. Justified trust issues, but perhaps the level to which I have gone might be unhealthy ;)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I'm hopelessly paranoid and suspicious. ;)

I keep picturing my M1 EP getting put into the tech's trunk and bulk 5W20 getting put into my vehicle.

I have trust issues with dealerships. Justified trust issues, but perhaps the level to which I have gone might be unhealthy ;)
I would think the samething. This is why I just just ask for it when getting service at the dealership since they offer it.

·
Super Moderator
6,089 Posts
I am almost ready to do my second oil change on my 2008 RL. Usually around 5,000 miles at 15% on MM.

Synthetic is my oil of choice--used Mobil 1 last time and still have enough stock for this oil change. On my next one I may switch to either Pennzoil Platinum or the new Castrol Edge. Not sure if the Castrol comes in 5-20W.

A lot of discussion on oil--but it all boils down to specs, not brand. If the oil has the proper specs for the vehicle then it will be fine.

Any other questions, just PM me. Don't want to start another oil shortage with a flameup on this board.

Brad

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,647 Posts
'Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this thread. I drive(for business) about 4,000 miles each month. (Maybe I should knock on wood now but I have never had an internal engine problem in the over 1 million miles I have driven.) I'm absolutely "anal" about changing oil and lubing my "rig" every 5 thousand miles. I have never used any other oil than one of the major brands. When asked to change to one of the new synthetics I always ask why. I've been doing this for 26 years going on 27.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,157 Posts
Nothing succeeds like success.

The enemy of your vehicle is... disuse. Drive it often to get the most use out of it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)
(and I'll keep using my synthetic oil since I don't drive nowhere near as much as you).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts