Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The T-bone from Boonedox hitch extender is super light aluminum (15lbs but feels lighter) and arches upward so no scraping coming out of the driveway like the other hitch extenders on the market that weigh 50+ lbs and rust in a month! I got mine the cheapest on Austinkayak because of their free shipping/no tax/coupons
You put your particular kayaks in the bed however they lay the most stable and simply strap them with kayak buckle straps to the tie down points and the T-bone. Loaded and tied down in no time with no aerodynamic drag/mpg loss/no noise!

I've owned the regular style hitch extenders in the past on my old Tacoma but they are so heavy and always scraped and I was always touch up painting the rust. This is a more expensive option but well worth the added price IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cool...I've been looking to get back into kayak fishing and would use this if I got a lengthy kayak. Could also use this for lengths of lumber too.

What's the length of the blue kayak?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both kayaks are just a couple inches more than 11 feet. I wouldn't want to carry any longer than probably a 13' kayak this way in our shorter beds. For longer boats a ladder rack would be better suited.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A few more angles.

I put pads on the support bar, tied flags on the ends for visibility when parked without kayaks, and put a through bolt in place of the quick release pin and a locking hitch pin so nobody steals it since it's so cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agreed... T-Bone is a great choice. My kayaks are each 12'. Bow tips on mine even catch under the bulkhead lip on the truck bed and help support the (cantilevered) weight of the kayaks. Actually, in most boat positions (with the tips tucked under the bulkhead lip), my boats actually hang suspended about an inch ABOVE the T-Bone extender, but then I strap them to the T-Bone for support. Works great... solid as a rock. Just remember to strap the boats to pin them forward to the front of the bed and at the back to the T-Bone. I pull the T-Bone off when parked without the boats... just not visible enough to avoid someone hitting it. Unfortunately, it is just an inch or so too wide to lay perfectly flat either in the bed or the back floorboard... but it will fit. The pads shown on the T-Bone support bar actually came as shipping padding WITH the T-Bone when I purchased.

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought my T-Bone online via AustinKayak.com, which offers a 15% discount for first time buyers. See purchase details on this thread:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/33-racks-hitches-towing/147153-hitch-mounted-bed-extender.html#post2325914

See also this thread for a few other close up kayak fitment pics:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/177-2g-photo-gallery/137394-ridgeline-gen2-picture-thread-62.html#post2367993

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I leave my T-bone in the hitch while the bed is empty and I'm kayaking. I have flags on the ends and reflective stickers to catch someone's eye so they don't hit it besides it being a neon green color. I painted the insertion end so I can line up the hitch pin hole easily.

I was wondering if it fit in the bed and it does just fine with the tailgate up and can be locked to the tie downs with a locking hitch pin.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't been interested in hitchbars until this thread. Not a bad option. Here's my 14 ft kayak in the bed for a couple mile drive to the lake. I was not comfortable with this set up at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had one of these in mind for a while. I'm curious, what are folks doing for lighting on an overnight trip? (I assume the rear-most extent of the load would need a red light.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts