Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else put a Tablet PC in their truck? Most of them will fit perfect wedged between the end of the cupholder in the front and rest on the dash just below the temp controls. I have mine (NEC Versa Litepad) going through the stereo with a FM transceiver that works GREAT. I use it for GPS, Movies, WiFi, MP3s, music videos... Hell, you have a complete PC in your truck for any and everything. I hinged it on the bottom with velcro so I can remove it with NO problem and take it with me. cool part is that it runs on a battery so you can leave it on when you have alot of short trips with it having to be turned on and off. <Geek> and love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nice. I gotta ask santa for one of those. :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very nice. I think it was Tex's Ridge who recently came up with a table that he uses on the center console (it has two PVC pipes as legs that fit into the cup holders) to hold his laptop... personally, I'm waiting for something that's fully integrated, but that's mostly because I'm lazy... and I don't have a laptop or a tablet PC... :)

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357&highlight=laptop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very interesting. Please tell me you are not watching movies while you're driving though!

How do you find the viewablity of the NEC screen in strong light? A lot of pilots use tablet computers in the cockpit for charts, satellite weather, performance calculations, etc. Those who try to use off-the-shelf notebooks and tablets usually complain that the screen is too dim in sunlight and can't be dimmed enough at night. I use a Fujitsu tablet that has been modified for aviation use and has some screen enhancements. They are too expensive for personal use in the truck, though.

Something like you have done intrigues me, but I guess it is pointless for me to spend too much time thinking about it. The longest I am generally in my RL is about 10 minutes! I keep making excuses to run errands so I can get a little more time behind the wheel! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
breed6262, welcome to the forum! You're starting right out posting pictures. I like you already. Keep it up.

This is a clever set up and it looks sharp. I haven't used my laptop except at a stop to download photos from my camera so I can keep shooting. I don't know what I'd use it for enroute.

Swing by the following link to give everyone a chance to greet you properly:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for posting pics of your setup! I've thought about taking my laptop with me on trips to use the Streets & Trips 2005 program and put it on the console, but I now have a Garmin iQue M5 w/ GPS for navigation. I do like the idea of having a PC in my RL though. :D

BTW...welcome to the ROC breed6262! Be sure to post your zip code on the following thread so I can put you on our ROC Stars Map.

HondaJet...You've been around since August and I don't have your zip in my database, so feel free to post it sometime :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The laptop setup takes up the cup holders, and being a true <geek>, I have to have my mountin dew all the time. my NEC is not so great in direct sunlight but works great where it is positioned in the console. You can get outdoor/indoor tablets so you can see them just as well in direct sunlight. I travel about 4 hours every tuesday and play training videos on my tablet also have holiday roadtrips coming up. MCSE stuff. plus I do a little WarDriving to find WiFi hotspots and map them. it is much cooler to play music videos through your stereo rather than just XM, MP3s, or radio. I use my tablet daily so it this setup works great for me and nothing is totally hard wired in the console so I can remove it without a problem.
I have been told that there are different connections under the dash that you can connect to a pc and run realtime stats on your truck and display it on you pc. I'm doing some research on that one.

Shreveport, LA 71119

·
Registered
363 Posts
The minute XM satellite radio offers Internet access through their system, I am adding a laptop to my truck. I actually would not be supprised to see XM do this in the future as it would be relatively easy with their infrastructure.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
That is a nice idea. Now, if Apple would only come out with a tablet Macintosh . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts