Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few hours ago, earlier this afternoon, I traded my 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4 in on a 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E.

I've only put 50 miles on it and can tell it's a lot more comfortable to me, and is more well-mannered on the road. I loved the Taco, but there were things about it that were just not great, and a recent 3000+ mile road trip laid a few of those things bare - first at 6'1" the seating position for me was just on the edge of being uncomfortable, but that was exacerbated by longer drive times. It wasn't enough to make me sore, but it did lead to fatigue. Next was the transmission. At freeway speeds it just wasn't that pleasant to me. I understand how it functions, but it's still annoying when you add throttle and then it finally downshifts, but 5th gear is also an overdrive, so you don't really get much more power. Then when it finally decides to drop to 4th, it GOES.

After 35k miles, the front end was getting bouncy. Yay. I was going to have to replace/upgrade the shocks. The rear was always undersprung. I put airbags in to help with towing, and they really did help a ton, but they couldn't be used for no-load driving without lifting the rear. I was tentatively planning on adding some SumoSprings (or similar) to help with that bit. I don't have the camper anymore, and I don't haul much more than my bicycle or my paramotor, so add-a-spring would have been too much.

Onto the Ridgeline. The dealer gave me just a hair under what I wanted for trade-in on the Taco, and I was able to rate the 0.9% financing Honda is offering, so I pulled the trigger.

Going from the SR5 trim to the RTL-E was a huge step up, IMHO. My previous car (before the Taco) had a Smartkey system. I love that.

I do still have a TON of respect for the Tacoma. It's a great TRUCK if you really need what it can do. I simply don't. I bet it would have been reliable and dependable for years, and I expect the same from my Ridgeline.

So far I'm loving the driving characteristics of the Ridgeline, and the far greater comfort available from the seat and steering. I don't have to telescope the wheel as far as it can go to be comfortable like I did in the Taco. That's a huge plus and will bear fruit when I take road trips.

As far as accessories and whatever, I've ordered a hard tri-fold tonneau cover since I like to secure my expensive paramotor stuff in the bed. I had vent visors on the Taco and will probably get a set of those soon. Husky rugged floormats are on my Amazon Wishlist, and I'll probably end up getting the Weathertech storage bin that goes under the rear seats. The only thing I liked better about the interior of the Taco was the under-seat and behind seat storage in the rear. (and I remembered after I got home that I forgot a jacket and my air compressor behind one of them!)

So far I'm happy with the decision. I got a great rate on financing and should have it paid off quicker anyway as I pay half of my note plus some out of each paycheck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!
Happy you like your new ride.

...As for missing the space behind the rear seat, I'm thinking you have a lot more space in your new trunk, that I know your Taco didn't have.
OH YEAH. That under-bed trunk is amazing. I absolutely have a use-case for it. My paramotor, when disassembled, should fit in there just fine, and be double-secure.

OTOH, I usually lay my paramotor flat in the bed, and the lower side walls in the Ridgeline might result in not being able to fit the paramotor under the tonneau cover I ordered. It'll be close either way. I'll break out the motor tomorrow when I get up and see how it fits. It's not a huge deal, the only time I have the motor assembled in the truck bed is when I'm going out to fly somewhere locally. On longer trips I'll have it disassembled and stowed in the trunk.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL - Steel Blue Metallic
23 Posts
Congrats. I hope this truck gets the job done for you trouble-free for many years to come.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome to ROC!
Thanks for the Tacoma comparison.

Reactions: Brianflys

·
Super Moderator
5,335 Posts
Great looking truck, @FrayAdjacent. Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD (Silver)
22 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!

I also gave a lot of consideration to buying a Tacoma before actually purchasing a 2020 RTL-E AWD. The comfort level in the Tacoma just did not match the comfort in the Ridge for my daily needs. Also, the ride and quietness in the Ridge far exceeded that of the Tacoma.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congrats on your new RL. The RL rides so much better than the Taco. If you are going off road and/or towing regularly the Toyota is the one to get. But for most folks the space, utility and driving dynamics of the RL make it an easy choice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a 95 Tacoma, my first pickup. I loved its utility and style. I've never towed anything. After a few years the lack of comfort really wore on me. The road noise on the highway was really bad. They may have addressed that issue in subsequent years I'm not sure. The ride was rough. Long highway trips were exhausting. I also had issues with 4WD on Winter roads in New England. I would fishtail on snowy roads even in 4WD. I switched to a 2004 AWD Toyota Highlander. Great SUV, not too big, loved the ride and traction. I always thought "why can't Toyota make a small pickup like this Highlander"? Well Honda did make the AWD pickup that 90% of the pickup population needs. The Highlander lasted 14 years so I had to wait until 2018 to get my Ridgeline. I love pretty much everything about it. Ride and utility are top notch. Looks are decent, I'm waiting to see what the 2021 redesign looks like in person.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a few hours ago, earlier this afternoon, I traded my 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4 in on a 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E.

I've only put 50 miles on it and can tell it's a lot more comfortable to me, and is more well-mannered on the road. I loved the Taco, but there were things about it that were just not great, and a recent 3000+ mile road trip laid a few of those things bare - first at 6'1" the seating position for me was just on the edge of being uncomfortable, but that was exacerbated by longer drive times. It wasn't enough to make me sore, but it did lead to fatigue. Next was the transmission. At freeway speeds it just wasn't that pleasant to me. I understand how it functions, but it's still annoying when you add throttle and then it finally downshifts, but 5th gear is also an overdrive, so you don't really get much more power. Then when it finally decides to drop to 4th, it GOES.

After 35k miles, the front end was getting bouncy. Yay. I was going to have to replace/upgrade the shocks. The rear was always undersprung. I put airbags in to help with towing, and they really did help a ton, but they couldn't be used for no-load driving without lifting the rear. I was tentatively planning on adding some SumoSprings (or similar) to help with that bit. I don't have the camper anymore, and I don't haul much more than my bicycle or my paramotor, so add-a-spring would have been too much.

Onto the Ridgeline. The dealer gave me just a hair under what I wanted for trade-in on the Taco, and I was able to rate the 0.9% financing Honda is offering, so I pulled the trigger.

Going from the SR5 trim to the RTL-E was a huge step up, IMHO. My previous car (before the Taco) had a Smartkey system. I love that.

View attachment 406680

I do still have a TON of respect for the Tacoma. It's a great TRUCK if you really need what it can do. I simply don't. I bet it would have been reliable and dependable for years, and I expect the same from my Ridgeline.

So far I'm loving the driving characteristics of the Ridgeline, and the far greater comfort available from the seat and steering. I don't have to telescope the wheel as far as it can go to be comfortable like I did in the Taco. That's a huge plus and will bear fruit when I take road trips.

As far as accessories and whatever, I've ordered a hard tri-fold tonneau cover since I like to secure my expensive paramotor stuff in the bed. I had vent visors on the Taco and will probably get a set of those soon. Husky rugged floormats are on my Amazon Wishlist, and I'll probably end up getting the Weathertech storage bin that goes under the rear seats. The only thing I liked better about the interior of the Taco was the under-seat and behind seat storage in the rear. (and I remembered after I got home that I forgot a jacket and my air compressor behind one of them!)

So far I'm happy with the decision. I got a great rate on financing and should have it paid off quicker anyway as I pay half of my note plus some out of each paycheck.
I pretty much traded my ’17 TRD Sport for the same reasons. I really like my Taco but the ride and drive on the Ridgeline is no comparison...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I had a 2011 Tacoma too. It was a reliable and useful truck but the ride comparison to the RL is night and day. Our kids grew into adult size and have room and comfort now. I am very happy with the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Congrats on your new RL. The RL rides so much better than the Taco. If you are going off road and/or towing regularly the Toyota is the one to get. But for most folks the space, utility and driving dynamics of the RL make it an easy choice.
I think the Taco would be my last choice for towing. Yes, it can supposedly tow more than the Ridgeline, but those who have towed around 5k with the Taco have commented that it was an unnerving experience.

The fact is, there is a very small window between the Ridgeline's towing capabilities and that of a full-size. The diesel Coliranyon widens that window a bit, but it's still pretty small.

Even the 1500-series trucks aren't great over 5klbs. f you want comfortable towing over 5k, then you want a 2500-series truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a 95 Tacoma, my first pickup. I loved its utility and style. I've never towed anything. After a few years the lack of comfort really wore on me.
Wow, I had a 1995 Tacoma, too! I bought it in 1997 and kept it until 2003.

I had towed a camper with the 17. I didn't really have any issues with it, though I don't think towing that camper with any midsize truck would be "fun". The Ridgeline would handle it just fine... but I used it so little it just wasn't worth keeping. Should I need a camper, I'll rent one.

As for under seat storage take a look at the Du-Ha under seat system. It is all I use in my trucks.
I'll check on that! Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
116 Posts
Congratulations on coming out of your 'Coma.
Under an aftermarket tonneau, you should have about 15 inches vertical clearance. The OEM tonneau has about 16 inches because it sits on top of the siderails, rather than flush like most aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was a Tacome junkie. I had five of them since the mid 90's/ The 2016 was HORRID.....So I tried the new Ranger. Nice but Ridgeline ticks far far more boxes....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked the truck bed today with my paramotor disassembled in its transport case, it's like a big rolling suitcase It fits under the edges of the bed by about an inch or so... so that's great! My paramotor will fit under it when it is assembled.

I also took the main frame and motor and stuck it in the trunk to see if it fits. SCORE! It does! (the prop hub just about touches the lid when it's closed, though)

Under an aftermarket tonneau, you should have about 15 inches vertical clearance. The OEM tonneau has about 16 inches because it sits on top of the siderails, rather than flush like most aftermarket ones.
I ordered one that appears to be near identical to the Tyger brand I had on my Taco. It sits on top of the bed, rather than having rails that protrude into the bed. I don't like ones that do that. I had a Softopper on the Taco for a couple years and though I liked it, the frame and hinge bit stuck into the bed a couple inches on either side and interfered with my previous paramotor. The Ridge is wider in the bed, though the motor I have now is smaller in diameter. The new tonneau cover should clear the motor easily. That leaves me completely satisfied with the prospect of hauling my motor. I can probably stuff my glider in the trunk instead of tossing it on the back seat.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
OH YEAH. That under-bed trunk is amazing. I absolutely have a use-case for it. My paramotor, when disassembled, should fit in there just fine, and be double-secure.

OTOH, I usually lay my paramotor flat in the bed, and the lower side walls in the Ridgeline might result in not being able to fit the paramotor under the tonneau cover I ordered. It'll be close either way. I'll break out the motor tomorrow when I get up and see how it fits. It's not a huge deal, the only time I have the motor assembled in the truck bed is when I'm going out to fly somewhere locally. On longer trips I'll have it disassembled and stowed in the trunk.
Ok @FrayAdjacent you’ll have to educate me on a paramotor, and yes I am fine with admission of no clue what you’re referring to, unlike the previous posts in this thread.

Congrats on the New Ride, wishing you many trouble free miles and Welcome to the ROC!

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

Cute! @doubledouble

1 - 20 of 45 Posts