Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is everyone in this forum so sensitive about criticism of the Ridgeline? I had a Gen 1 with awful fit and finish, minivan looks, and awkward seating position, but I learned to love it. I tried to like the Gen 2 but the list of flaws was a mile long and very reminiscent of the Gen 1 flaws. I ended up with a Silverado and now a Tacoma TRD Off Road, long bed.
I’d like to compare and contrast the Taco and Ridgeline. First the Taco looks very cool. Totally cool. Awesomely cool! Unfortunately, it’s mostly downhill from there. The Taco has the worst engine/transmission setup in the history of pickup trucks. The V6 engine is weak, and it has never been introduced to the transmission. The V6 is really a car engine. Zero low and mid-range torque. In fact, when the Taco goes into cruise mode (5 & 6th gear) it is an Atkinson cycle engine. If you need to accelerate while in 5/6 gear, for example when pulling on to a highway in front of an 18 wheeler barreling down a grade, you are in deep trouble. When you press the accelerator, a memo is sent to Japan to ask permission to downshift. It usually takes a few days to get an answer. There are no power seats (even in the Limited), and the seats are so low it’s like siting on the floor. The cabin is cramped. The plastic door trim is lower quality than a base 1962 Chevy Vega. There is almost zero storage in the back, even with the seat folded. I could go on. On the plus side it has crawl control and terrain control in 4L, which is virtually unstoppable. Crawl control in unbelievable. You just set the speed and sit there. Up or down, boulders, sand, whatever , and it just proceeds at the set speed, usually 2 – 6 mph. I love my TACO.

Now the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline has a better car motor and transmission. The seats in the Gen 2s are more comfortable and it has a cool bed trunk. The interior is far superior to the TACO. As we all know it has poor fit and finish, rear doors that don’t open, a shallow bed, and no volume knob – incredibly annoying. However, the main flaw of the Ridgeline is its appearance. It is undoubtedly the ugliest vehicle ever conceived my humankind! This makes it totally uncool. When you see a Taco you say – hmmm cool looking truck. When you see a Ridgeline you get sudden indigestion. Hmm, did I eat something? The Ridgeline makes minivans look cool. The Ridgeline is so ugly it could be used to repel an alien invasion from another galaxy. They show up in their flying saucers and we line up a bunch of Ridgelines. They leave in a hurry.

So here’s the choice. Look cool in a dated, under powered, uncomfortable, poor handling truck that can go anywhere off road, and nowhere on road – or - look totally uncool in a much more refined, comfortable thing that provides pleasant motivation.

What do you think? I hope you will all accept my honest opinion regarding these two vehicles without getting your shorts in knots.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hum.☹......and to think I thought it looks much nicer than taco sport across the street. Talk about bunched panties......what a thread starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why is everyone in this forum so sensitive about criticism of the Ridgeline? I had a Gen 1 with awful fit and finish, minivan looks, and awkward seating position, but I learned to love it. I tried to like the Gen 2 but the list of flaws was a mile long and very reminiscent of the Gen 1 flaws. I ended up with a Silverado and now a Tacoma TRD Off Road, long bed.
I’d like to compare and contrast the Taco and Ridgeline. First the Taco looks very cool. Totally cool. Awesomely cool! Unfortunately, it’s mostly downhill from there. The Taco has the worst engine/transmission setup in the history of pickup trucks. The V6 engine is weak, and it has never been introduced to the transmission. The V6 is really a car engine. Zero low and mid-range torque. In fact, when the Taco goes into cruise mode (5 & 6th gear) it is an Atkinson cycle engine. If you need to accelerate while in 5/6 gear, for example when pulling on to a highway in front of an 18 wheeler barreling down a grade, you are in deep trouble. When you press the accelerator, a memo is sent to Japan to ask permission to downshift. It usually takes a few days to get an answer. There are no power seats (even in the Limited), and the seats are so low it’s like siting on the floor. The cabin is cramped. The plastic door trim is lower quality than a base 1962 Chevy Vega. There is almost zero storage in the back, even with the seat folded. I could go on. On the plus side it has crawl control and terrain control in 4L, which is virtually unstoppable. Crawl control in unbelievable. You just set the speed and sit there. Up or down, boulders, sand, whatever , and it just proceeds at the set speed, usually 2 – 6 mph. I love my TACO.

Now the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline has a better car motor and transmission. The seats in the Gen 2s are more comfortable and it has a cool bed trunk. The interior is far superior to the TACO. As we all know it has poor fit and finish, rear doors that don’t open, a shallow bed, and no volume knob – incredibly annoying. However, the main flaw of the Ridgeline is its appearance. It is undoubtedly the ugliest vehicle ever conceived my humankind! This makes it totally uncool. When you see a Taco you say – hmmm cool looking truck. When you see a Ridgeline you get sudden indigestion. Hmm, did I eat something? The Ridgeline makes minivans look cool. The Ridgeline is so ugly it could be used to repel an alien invasion from another galaxy. They show up in their flying saucers and we line up a bunch of Ridgelines. They leave in a hurry.

So here’s the choice. Look cool in a dated, under powered, uncomfortable, poor handling truck that can go anywhere off road, and nowhere on road – or - look totally uncool in a much more refined, comfortable thing that provides pleasant motivation.

What do you think? I hope you will all accept my honest opinion regarding these two vehicles without getting your shorts in knots.
Well, why don't you get the right tool for the job? The job will be different for each single person: the looks, dated vs modern, comfort, fuel economy, highway performance, city performance, towing, hauling, offroading, softroading, etc. Make a matrix for yourself and rate both cars honestly. The winner will have higher votes. Both trucks are winners in different categories but that doesn't mean that one truck is better than the other. These two are perfect tools for two very different jobs. Cheers!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,608 Posts
MInivan front end is mostly fixed with the 21 refresh. Rear door opening has been improved since 20 (I think it was 2020 and not 19?) Regardless you can change out the door checkers easily and cheaply. Still not as wide of an opening as the GenI though . . . Honda also added a volume knob to the 21s. You probably should read up before you drop in and spend time posting.

I personally find the GenII interior to be soft and minivan / car like. Exterior looks pretty good now. . .Tacoma exterior doesn't do much for me but it does look trucky. Interior is tight and seating is absolute garbage. It does look trucky on the inside too.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Door number one: choose the Taco and spend the last 30 years of your life with a crippled back in a nursing home, but you'll sure look cool until you get there!

Door number two: choose the Ridgeline and experience comfort heretofore unknown in a pickup truck. Spend your senior years leading an active lifestyle.

OP, what I just wrote sounds a little silly, but it is quite a bit more realistic than the drivel you have posted. You were actively trolling here a few years ago, and now you're back. At least do some homework before you post.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wasn't able to get past the title, "adults only." This is 2021, we have definition fluidity, it's part of being woke.

Reactions: Action_Nad

·
Registered
2019 RTL
481 Posts
Coles Notes:
OP Says Ridgeline outperforms TACO in every way but looks and crawling over rocks. Then sums it up with, he loves the TACO more because it makes him look cool.
To be fair to the OP, we don't know his age. When I was 16, all I was interested in was looking cool. If he's still in his teens, that approach would be perfectly normal! If he's a grown man, less so :).

·
Registered
98 Posts
To be fair to the OP, we don't know his age. When I was 16, all I was interested in was looking cool. If he's still in his teens, that approach would be perfectly normal! If he's a grown man, less so :).
He's been a registered member of this forum since 2012, so maybe he joined when he was 7?

At least he recognizes some of the Ridgeline benefits. A lot of the Ridgeline's critics don't get past its looks or the fact that it's made by Honda.

I actually like the Ridgeline's looks, but if I didn't it wouldn't matter to me. A cool vehicle isn't going to make me look like anything other than a dork.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I see the title has been changed for the better (OP or admin?). For me, there are always red flags raised when a title appeals to my emotion rather than my reason.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Totally Hilarious post JOECBR! I loved it!
Your criticism of the Taco is right on & some of the RL criticisms are also true. The Taco was my 2nd choice...I bought the Honda because it has the BEST interior of all the midsize trucks.

At least you passed on all the bad build quality, obsolete1950’s frame designs, domestic rust wagons, that need huge warranties to fix their mistakes & poor designs.
BTW, a company just came out with Taco seat lifters. Kinda like lift kits only designed for the Taco.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,608 Posts
BTW, a company just came out with Taco seat lifters. Kinda like lift kits only designed for the Taco.
Can't see them working unless you have a very short torso. Toyota simply can't fix the seat issue unless they can lower the floor or raise the roofline. Neither of those changes are likely due to the BOF design for the floor and aeros / aesthetics for the roof.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts