Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chloe Kuo channel on YouTube show shows the installation of these new Toyota *seat jackers,” for sale on Desertdoesit.com. Chloe is modifying her Tacoma & these new seat lifters look to solve some of the Toyota low seat problems. Looks like the seat jackers add about an inch & a half to two inches of front height. The company also makes a kit to lift the rears too. Think the lift works for her, but might be a challenge for 6’ individuals.

The low height of the Tacoma front seats, smallish & narrow cabin mostly eliminated this fine truck for me. The Honda is just better....

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
76 Posts
we bought a 2020 Ridgeline a few months ago. Comming from owning an Audi Q5 and a 2017 Audi TTS, sold both.
The ride of the Ridgeline is unquestionly the best of any Truck..independent suspension and handles like, well sort of, like the Q5 we had. The doors on the Gen.2 open wider than the Gen1. Fit and finish...not an Audi, but so what. Gaps are consistant, quality is good...comfortable on trips...and life is short. Seems to be well worth the $ and if I want something to look at that is pretty, my wife is to my right.
The Gen2 is a clean looking vehicle. It is not trying to make a macho statement. It looks like the 2021 is trying to....it's what's under the sheetmetal that counts.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,608 Posts
The doors on the Gen.2 open wider than the Gen1.
FYI,
Prior to 2020 the "checkers" on the rear doors severely limited the opening to the cab. As fix, front checkers could be installed to allow better access. There's a long thread on this . . . In 2020 Honda modified the hinge somewhat and installed longer checkers. Access is better but the metal to metal opening to the rear cab in no where near as large as in the GenI and is a significant drawback for someone like me who loads tools and building supplies into the rear cab on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
321 Posts
And my two Yens worth; I am far and away too OLD to care HOW any vehicle looks. If I want cool, I'll go outside in a Maine winter in a swim suit { or a birthday suit?!o_O} I want Ride quality, comfort, visibility, and a degree of reliability some where better than a Chevy Vega.There is talk of 'fit and finish'. I just read on the NEW Ranger, the hood and fender parts do not match, and the thing rides 'like a rowboat in a hurricane'. I bought my R/L for Function over Form

·
Registered
174 Posts
And my two Yens worth; I am far and away too OLD to care HOW any vehicle looks. If I want cool, I'll go outside in a Maine winter in a swim suit { or a birthday suit?!o_O} I want Ride quality, comfort, visibility, and a degree of reliability some where better than a Chevy Vega.There is talk of 'fit and finish'. I just read on the NEW Ranger, the hood and fender parts do not match, and the thing rides 'like a rowboat in a hurricane'. I bought my R/L for Function over Form

I find it nothing short of amazing what the "red blooded truckbro" will endure to "be cool". All sorts of $$$ modifications to their vehicle that do nothing to improve much of anything, just "look cool" (hint, nobody but yourself cares). What do most working age people do with their trucks? Yep, commute. After over 20 years of driving pickups it turns out I've never wanted to risk doing damage to them off-roading in any meaningful way. If I wanted that a Jeep or a Bronco would be better suited. 4X4? AWD as it turns out is better for on-road handling. I don't have to think about switching back and forth between dry and slippery pavement, or dropping it back into 2WD once I hit a certain speed. AWD just makes sense and should be on every truck that is an on-roader. The list goes on.

And I think Tacomas look ugly btw. The ultimate in "bro-cool" form over function taken to a ridiculous extent. The seating position and handling suck to keep it looking that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why is everyone in this forum so sensitive about criticism of the Ridgeline? I had a Gen 1 with awful fit and finish, minivan looks, and awkward seating position, but I learned to love it. I tried to like the Gen 2 but the list of flaws was a mile long and very reminiscent of the Gen 1 flaws. I ended up with a Silverado and now a Tacoma TRD Off Road, long bed.
I’d like to compare and contrast the Taco and Ridgeline. First the Taco looks very cool. Totally cool. Awesomely cool! Unfortunately, it’s mostly downhill from there. The Taco has the worst engine/transmission setup in the history of pickup trucks. The V6 engine is weak, and it has never been introduced to the transmission. The V6 is really a car engine. Zero low and mid-range torque. In fact, when the Taco goes into cruise mode (5 & 6th gear) it is an Atkinson cycle engine. If you need to accelerate while in 5/6 gear, for example when pulling on to a highway in front of an 18 wheeler barreling down a grade, you are in deep trouble. When you press the accelerator, a memo is sent to Japan to ask permission to downshift. It usually takes a few days to get an answer. There are no power seats (even in the Limited), and the seats are so low it’s like siting on the floor. The cabin is cramped. The plastic door trim is lower quality than a base 1962 Chevy Vega. There is almost zero storage in the back, even with the seat folded. I could go on. On the plus side it has crawl control and terrain control in 4L, which is virtually unstoppable. Crawl control in unbelievable. You just set the speed and sit there. Up or down, boulders, sand, whatever , and it just proceeds at the set speed, usually 2 – 6 mph. I love my TACO.

Now the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline has a better car motor and transmission. The seats in the Gen 2s are more comfortable and it has a cool bed trunk. The interior is far superior to the TACO. As we all know it has poor fit and finish, rear doors that don’t open, a shallow bed, and no volume knob – incredibly annoying. However, the main flaw of the Ridgeline is its appearance. It is undoubtedly the ugliest vehicle ever conceived my humankind! This makes it totally uncool. When you see a Taco you say – hmmm cool looking truck. When you see a Ridgeline you get sudden indigestion. Hmm, did I eat something? The Ridgeline makes minivans look cool. The Ridgeline is so ugly it could be used to repel an alien invasion from another galaxy. They show up in their flying saucers and we line up a bunch of Ridgelines. They leave in a hurry.

So here’s the choice. Look cool in a dated, under powered, uncomfortable, poor handling truck that can go anywhere off road, and nowhere on road – or - look totally uncool in a much more refined, comfortable thing that provides pleasant motivation.

What do you think? I hope you will all accept my honest opinion regarding these two vehicles without getting your shorts in knots.
I agree 100%...although the 1st generation Ridge was absolutely the worst looking truck ever! I am an owner of a 2020 rtl-e.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why is everyone in this forum so sensitive about criticism of the Ridgeline? I had a Gen 1 with awful fit and finish, minivan looks, and awkward seating position, but I learned to love it. I tried to like the Gen 2 but the list of flaws was a mile long and very reminiscent of the Gen 1 flaws. I ended up with a Silverado and now a Tacoma TRD Off Road, long bed.
I’d like to compare and contrast the Taco and Ridgeline. First the Taco looks very cool. Totally cool. Awesomely cool! Unfortunately, it’s mostly downhill from there. The Taco has the worst engine/transmission setup in the history of pickup trucks. The V6 engine is weak, and it has never been introduced to the transmission. The V6 is really a car engine. Zero low and mid-range torque. In fact, when the Taco goes into cruise mode (5 & 6th gear) it is an Atkinson cycle engine. If you need to accelerate while in 5/6 gear, for example when pulling on to a highway in front of an 18 wheeler barreling down a grade, you are in deep trouble. When you press the accelerator, a memo is sent to Japan to ask permission to downshift. It usually takes a few days to get an answer. There are no power seats (even in the Limited), and the seats are so low it’s like siting on the floor. The cabin is cramped. The plastic door trim is lower quality than a base 1962 Chevy Vega. There is almost zero storage in the back, even with the seat folded. I could go on. On the plus side it has crawl control and terrain control in 4L, which is virtually unstoppable. Crawl control in unbelievable. You just set the speed and sit there. Up or down, boulders, sand, whatever , and it just proceeds at the set speed, usually 2 – 6 mph. I love my TACO.

Now the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline has a better car motor and transmission. The seats in the Gen 2s are more comfortable and it has a cool bed trunk. The interior is far superior to the TACO. As we all know it has poor fit and finish, rear doors that don’t open, a shallow bed, and no volume knob – incredibly annoying. However, the main flaw of the Ridgeline is its appearance. It is undoubtedly the ugliest vehicle ever conceived my humankind! This makes it totally uncool. When you see a Taco you say – hmmm cool looking truck. When you see a Ridgeline you get sudden indigestion. Hmm, did I eat something? The Ridgeline makes minivans look cool. The Ridgeline is so ugly it could be used to repel an alien invasion from another galaxy. They show up in their flying saucers and we line up a bunch of Ridgelines. They leave in a hurry.

So here’s the choice. Look cool in a dated, under powered, uncomfortable, poor handling truck that can go anywhere off road, and nowhere on road – or - look totally uncool in a much more refined, comfortable thing that provides pleasant motivation.

What do you think? I hope you will all accept my honest opinion regarding these two vehicles without getting your shorts in knots.
Well I'm older and looking cool doesn't interest me much. If I'm spending my money I want something that works - and my 2020 Ridgeline is perfect!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I think the truck looks awesome and I frequently get compliments about how it looks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you know, its funny. Your comparison is good and terrible at the same time.

I'll keep it simple, "looks" are completely and utterly your opinion. Frankly, nobody really gives a shat what you think about the looks, indeed.... you start by saying "why are you so sensative" and you slam the thing on looks. Im pretty sure no one who would buy a Ridgeline would think its as ugly as you think and therefor would take issue with you saying it. I dont know what it is about this generation today whom actually think people care...at...all... on their opinion of how something "looks".... and at the same time... they are SOOO sure they are ht only ones on the innerwebs that "actually sees everything how it truly is".

The talk about actually physical things between the two are useful.

My opnion.... I know many people could possibly dissagree... I think both trucks looks great. The Toyota all around is like all Toyotas now-a-days... boring and stylistically not changed in decades. But I think it still has a nice classic look./

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove both in 2019 and don't feel the need to apologize for getting a Tacoma. Neither should a Ridgeline owner. The vehicles are very, very different and appeal to different people with different wants and needs. Appearances are part of the deal for many. The inadequacy of the Tacoma powertrain is vastly overstated, as is the inadequacy of the Ridgeline as a "real truck".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey you are giving your opinion, I can't find fault. I like my 2019 RTL-E, even the exterior looks. I have to say that the new 2022 Nissan Frontier looks much better. The Ford Ranger is OK but has very old interior. Same for GM's.
The new 2021 Ridgeline is somewhat better but I don't like big wheel-well plastic covers(HPD Version).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm whole-heartedly agree:

Door number one: choose the Taco and spend the last 30 years of your life with a crippled back in a nursing home, but you'll sure look cool until you get there!

Door number two: choose the Ridgeline and experience comfort heretofore unknown in a pickup truck. Spend your senior years leading an active lifestyle.

OP, what I just wrote sounds a little silly, but it is quite a bit more realistic than the drivel you have posted. You were actively trolling here a few years ago, and now you're back. At least do some homework before you post.
I found the Tacoma incredibly uncomfortable. At 6'1" I could not sit upright in a Tacoma with a sunroof (and I really like sunroofs). The Tacoma TRD has a very harsh ride; stiff suspension that's probably good for offroad driving, but not so helpful when driving around town. When I was shopping, our local Toyota dealer let me drive one for a few hours (I'm so glad I took them up on it!), after which I was a bit sore. It was such a relief to climb into my Acura aftwards. I ended up getting a '20 Ridgeline and have been very happy with it. The '21 improves on my complaints: looks and the absence of a volume nob. It's safe to say the 2021 Ridgeline is a perfect truck for a city-slicker like me who doesn't tow much, and who doesn't want to modify my truck for off-road driving.

If you're in it for towing, might I suggest a Ford, either the Ranger or an F-150. Both tow more than a Ridgeline or a Tacoma, and are very comfortable. If you're not in it for towing, but SUV-like performance, and weekend projects, the Ridgeline is likely a good fit. If you're in it for looks and/or off-road driving, the Tacoma really cannot be beat (in the light-truck class that is).

Nissan also just announced a refresh for their Frontier which looks excellent, though I do not believe it's out yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Easy choice. I love my 2020 RTL/E!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts