Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday my golf buddy banged the passenger front corner of his Tundra bumper into the passenger front corner of my truck's bumper as I was sitting on my tailgate lacing up my golf shoes. Neither bumper is deformed, but both had a large area where they rubbed and I've got two spots about the size of a nickel where the paint is gone.

I washed and buffed the area, which took care of the scuffs. I dabbed one coat of Honda touch-up paint on the parts where the paint is missing and it's looking surprisingly good. I think a couple of more coats will build up the paint sufficiently. Then a lite sanding with some very fine sandpaper and buffing will make it all but disappear.

So here's my question, my touch-up paint looks slightly grey compared to the truck's paint. It's always been like this, and it's close enough for tiny rock chips, but I'm not thrilled with how it looks on larger repairs.

Have any of you achieved a good match with Taffeta touch up paint? Trying to decide wether to try another bottle of Honda paint, something after market, or is this as good as it gets.

Attachments

· Administrator
24,881 Posts
I had a similar issue with Honda White Diamond Pearl touch-up on my CR-V. The touch-up paint was very white compared to the slightly yellow factory paint. Adding the "pearl" layer from the other end of the touch-up pen helped, but it was still not a match and really stuck out.

In your case, the touch-up paint may appear gray due the lack of a clear, top cote. Does the Tafetta White pen come with the clear coat in the other end like the WDP or is that a separate purchase?

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taffeta White Honda touch-up bottle has a brush at one end and a pen (that doesn't work), both use the same paint supply. I've never been able to get any paint from the pen tip, so I just use a toothpick to apply paint to the inevitable, very small rock chips.

I'm really curious if anyone has achieved a good match to the Taffeta White, or is this as good as it gets for touch-up paint. :-/

· Administrator
24,881 Posts
Taffeta White Honda touch-up bottle has a brush at one end and a pen (that doesn't work), both use the same paint supply. I've never been able to get any paint from the pen tip, so I just use a toothpick to apply paint to the inevitable, very small rock chips.

I'm really curious if anyone has achieved a good match to the Taffeta White, or is this as good as it gets for touch-up paint. :-/
Ah, okay. The White Diamond Pearl has a pen on one end (that does work - a bit too well). If you unscrew the pen from the tube, there's a brush inside. On the other end of the tube is brush attached to the cap for the pearl coat.

One thing I've always hated about touch-ups on small chips and scratches is getting the touch-up level. This difference in height looks just as bad as the damage itself! I found a product called Langka Blob Eliminator that is quite impressive. I no longer worry about getting too much touch-up paint on the car. Once I build up the damaged area, I use the Langka to remove the excess paint. It really works.

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a Lanka kit years ago for another car. I agree, it works surprisingly well.

I ran out of the Lanka 'juice' and found I can get the same results building up paint a touch higher than the OEM paint, letting it dry at least a day and then using the 't-shirt wrapped over a credit card' technique with any good polish to level the paint.

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.