Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

tail lights don't work not the bulbs or a fuse?

69K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MelThaKing 
#1 ·
Hello I am hoping someone here can help me with this problem. my tail lights are not working but all the other lights work fine. It is not the bulbs and it is not a fuse and it is not the headlight control switch. I have had no luck finding any solutions to this problem online. if anyone could lend me some advise or give me a link to a wiring diagram that includes the tail lights I would appreciate it.

Also would it be possible to run a wire from the headlight control switch back to the tail lights so they work off the same wire as the headlights? or can this cause damage?

#2 ·
There is a 15 amp fuse under the hood labeled small lights, for some reason this controls the rear running/tail lights as well as the lighting for the radio/HVAC area. I found this out when I blew the fuse bringing the camper back from the lake. A short on the camper would blow the fuse. Headlights work, turn signals, etc. Check out this fuse and see if it fixes the problem.

#7 ·
Myself I had an issue with my tail lights being out too, I work for Toyota and did every troubleshooting method. Ended up taking it to Honda and had a fellow technician troubleshoot it, he found a loose connection under the fuse panel. There is a connector and pin 9 was not making contact. I guess this also sends voltage to the tag lights also. Anyhow after repairing the connector all works as avertised.

#8 ·
Sigg14 do you have an aftermarket wiring harness for a trailer? Mine did the same thing, after checking all connections and fuses I discovered that the wiring harness from the trailer wires was corroded, disconnected wiring harness from tailights and fixed the problem.

#12 ·
I personally never had this issue - I used the Honda trailer harness (which has a totally separate electrical system).

What people have done in the past to fix this is replace their 3rd party trailer adapter. Either with another 3rd party one, or the Honda one. They have also had to replace fuses, etc.

Chip H.

#13 · (Edited)
ohhhh no! I put a trailer harness in my RL tonight i bought off amazon (CURT Manufacturing 55585 T-Connector) read the reviews and no issues
I thought everything was fine the turn and stop worked but i didnt think to check the tail lights during the day, i got stopped by the sherriff going to walmart tonight he said i had no tail lights. I got home checked the fuse under the hood to find it blown, i replaced and it went out again. I unplugged the trailer harness and put it back to factory and put another fuse in and it still blown. Ive also noticed my steering wheel buttons dont light up and no hvac buttons light up....I dont know what to do.... any one know what else i can do.
also i did install all new bulbs to LEDS and replaced the flasher relay to accomodate that to led flasher. But they were all working fine before the trailer harness.
my email is- donparentjr@gmail.com
Thanks!

#15 ·
A lot of people don't realize that by going with a taillight system light the CURT this is prone to happen. The OEM hitch has a completely separate fuse. With the OEM system if something happens at the hitch, you loose your trailer lights. The CURT style you loose trailer lights and truck tails.

#18 ·
Hello I am hoping someone here can help me with this problem. my tail lights are not working but all the other lights work fine. It is not the bulbs and it is not a fuse and it is not the headlight control switch. I have had no luck finding any solutions to this problem online. if anyone could lend me some advise or give me a link to a wiring diagram that includes the tail lights I would appreciate it.

Also would it be possible to run a wire from the headlight control switch back to the tail lights so they work off the same wire as the headlights? or can this cause damage?

Im having the same issue right now and I don’t know what to do. I have to slap my right side rear to get the running light to pop on. But still no brake lights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.