Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the tailgate alarmed on your vehicle? I assumed it was and never checked it out before. I know there isn't a factory switch for the down mode, but there is for the swing mode. It activates the cargo lights and instrument cluster, but it isn't alarmed. I would like to alarm it. Has anyone done this with an aftermarket alarm? I found the tailgate switch wire at the fuse box, but it doesn't show ground when open.

I may know a bit about car audio, but security systems are so foreign to me.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sounds like you know, but most of the triggers are ground switched on the Hondas (I honestly haven't checked the RL but I assume it to be the same).

A real laymans way to find it would be have someone press the switch on the tailgate and stick your head under the dash by the fuse cluster to listen to whats clicking.
Once found then you just need to find if it is causing the relay to open or close (I assume the wiring is energize relay to close circuit) and attach an aux. relay to that trigger and wire another alarm input (ie: dome light relay maybe in that vicinity?) through the contact portion of that relay to obtain the other signal when that switch is triggered.

edit:uh, sorry - I just read that and even I am confused...but I'll leave it there in case someone else wants to explain :). I gotta go get some dinner but I'll try to come back later and give you some actual technical references that involve our trucks wiring that you could apply the above to so that this makes sense. Essentially Im speaking about taking a known alarm input/trigger and wiring it in paralell through the relay so that the signal from the tailgate could be used to meet the 'alarm' condition of the other input - thus causing your alarm to go off.

...or just wait till 2007 when the new tailgate lock will probably have a switch like the hood does in the Accord, that the switch is part of the latch mechanism and ties directly to the alarm inputs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would just unscrew the switch then check to see if it is a negative trigger or a positive trigger you can verify with a 12v probe (http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1875_29465621, http://images.cardomain.net/products/sou/SOU26000_1.jpg) then check to see if you can find it under the dash usually at the drivers side kickpanel that has been my experience w/ hondas but what ever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE BRIGHT YELLOW HARNESSES THOSE ARE THE AIRBAG HARNESSES PROBING THOSE CAN TRIGGER THE AIRBAGS THIS CAN LEAD TO INJURY OR DEATH AS WELL AS BEING EXPENSIVE, one other thing you could try would be to look it up in the maintenance manual

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the service manual, the switch has two wires going to it, so I'm assuming one is positive. All the alarm sites with car info identify the tailgate switch as negative.

I did find the wire at the driver's kick panel, but it showed power.

I will have to do as suggested and take out the switch and meter it. The switch is not your average, run of the mill type. It's like massive and looks like it will last for at least a milennium and/or a billion cycles. It looks like it belongs in the space shuttle........ OK, I'm exaggerating a bit.

I won't be able to work on the truck for a while, so I'll keep checking back here in case somebody who has the tailgate switch alarmed replies.

Do other trucks have tailgates alarmed from the factory? It's getting late.... I can't think.

·
Registered
237 Posts
mugen1 said:
Is the tailgate alarmed on your vehicle? I assumed it was and never checked it out before. I know there isn't a factory switch for the down mode, but there is for the swing mode. It activates the cargo lights and instrument cluster, but it isn't alarmed. I would like to alarm it. Has anyone done this with an aftermarket alarm? I found the tailgate switch wire at the fuse box, but it doesn't show ground when open.

Why not take a simpler approach, wire a small colored bulb assembly in with the cargo lights which are only activated if the tailgate is opened as a door and set it where it will be visible?

·
Registered
953 Posts
mugen, you could add a relay that would switch the negative when the positive lead from the gate turns it on. Then tie that negative lead to one of the door switches. I recommend also adding a switch for when its opened in the traditional manner as most people would not know it swings open.

The two wires going to the gate are due to it being positive, one is the power to the gate and the other is the return voltage when its opened.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A negative trigger switch will show no power, but if you have the aformentioned 12v test light you can connect it to 12v then probe the suspect wire it will light the probe when gate is opened, this will also work w/ multimeter it will show negative 12v, i also think all of the doors are negative trigger, the only cars i can think of that are 12v positive are european (german italian etc). You could make a comparison and take out one of the door switches and one last thing you could also add a aftermarket switch to the upper portion of the gate then wire it into the existing switch below this would require the least amout of wire to be run and the least amount of panels to be removed

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I'm tempted to add a separate switch at the top so the alarm will trip on both down and swing modes. I have wires already in that area going into the cabin - I always add extra blank wires when installing stereo equipment. An old trick I learned from the masters of stereo installs.

I guess the Ridgeline doesn't have the tailgate alarmed - nobody has given me a definite answer. Or did I miss it in someone's reply. The trunk may also not be alarmed - not that it is easy to break into.

I can install a relay to the existing switch to give me negative trigger signal. Just wanted to make sure it doesn't screw anything else up in the lock system. One of the wires (trunk or tailgate) is connected to the sliding window, as well. Come to think of it........ I'll have to double-check - the positive signal from the switch and tailgate is constant. Maybe I got the right wire, but after it comes out of a controller of some kind.

You guys have been very helpful. I now have a few more options to take when I next dedicate my time to work on the RL.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. No messing around and it protects both ways. Just for fun and because I can, I'll put a switch in the trunk, too. Diode between the two.

thanks............

Still nobody gonna tell me if the trunk or tailgate is alarmed from factory? I ask because you never know between Canadian and US models..........

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
mugen1 said:
Still nobody gonna tell me if the trunk or tailgate is alarmed from factory? I ask because you never know between Canadian and US models..........
Tailgate isn't (never seen one that was), but I think the trunk is since the alarm won't arm until the trunk is closed (same for the hood).

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
mugen1 said:

I asked my alarm shop the same question and they said its not needed as they have the shock sensor set so that unless you tread lightly, the alarm goes off on sound. I have tested it so you merly open the gate (in normal fashion) and it sounds off. If you were very careful, perhaps you could get in and out.
In 6 months I have never got an alarm set by loud noises.. I did get one when a friendly parking lot person slamed thier door into mine..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheRidgester said:
I asked my alarm shop the same question and they said its not needed as they have the shock sensor set so that unless you tread lightly, the alarm goes off on sound. I have tested it so you merly open the gate (in normal fashion) and it sounds off. If you were very careful, perhaps you could get in and out.
In 6 months I have never got an alarm set by loud noises.. I did get one when a friendly parking lot person slamed thier door into mine..
I tried it with my aftermarket alarm on. Doesn't trip when opening the tailgate, but does as soon as I close it. I don''t want to raise the sensitivity too much or any Harley or dump truck would set the alarm off...... nothing worse than an over sensitive shock sensor.

I wonder why trucks don't come with tailgates alarmed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
mugen1 said:
I tried it with my aftermarket alarm on. Doesn't trip when opening the tailgate, but does as soon as I close it. I don''t want to raise the sensitivity too much or any Harley or dump truck would set the alarm off...... nothing worse than an over sensitive shock sensor.

I wonder why trucks don't come with tailgates alarmed.
What would be the point, most trucks have open beds, you can get into the bed without opening the tailgate. Trucks were not designed with covers in mind, those are after thoughts.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess you're right. Never had a truck before.

Although, the Ridgeline is hard to get into unless you have the tailgate open. If someone steps on the bumper to climb into my Ridge, the tilt sensor would kick in, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried.

If I had a POS truck, I wouldn't give a hoot about thieves, but this Ridgeline is a gem. I'll take a pot shot at whoever looks at it the wrong way.

Have a look at this video........

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/carthieframpage.html

Warninig - foul language. Doesn't seem realistic, but...........

·
Registered
268 Posts
The tailgate is definitely negative switched. It is a blue/orange wire in connector Q of the MICU, terminal 11.

The second wire on the tailgate switch goes to a common ground point (G602). Most of the time manufacturers do not rely on the body to provide grounding for switches like this, and actually run a wire to another grounding point.

While I am at it, the wire for determining if the trunk is open is at Q7, blue/yellow, and is also negative switched.

These signals both go into the MICU, comes out on a yellow/blue on P22 of the MICU, which then drives a relay (switching the negative side) to turn the cargo lights on and off. However, it does not ALWAYS turn on the cargo lights, so I would not use this output signal going to an alarm.

Connector Q is a 14-pin green connector on the tailgate side of the MICU above the driver's kick panel. Connector P is a 30-pin green connector, also on the same side of the MICU.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks....... you da man!

I'll work on it during my Christmas hoidays - that along with trying to figure out the leak in the rear seat area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if my trunk or boot is open and i'm driving there is a alarm
if the swing gate is open there is an alarm while driving
but no alarm if the tail gate is down, I haul material in the back with it down and no alarms sound or lights on the dash.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
How are you determining positive or negitive? With a volt meter it will show (esspecially on a door switch) 12v+ but it really is a negitive feed. What is happening is the 12+ is feeding back thru the bulb to the switch on a test meter, but as soon as you open the door it goes to negitive. Using a test light you should get a true answer + or -.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts