Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when using the tailgate in the door mode it has several times slammed shut. really hard. either wind or parking on a slope plus my actions are going to lead to an issue

so hating original thought on my part does anyone have an idea how to keep the tailgate swung open ?

needs to travel in truck bed and a keep that door from swinging shut...

tailgate monkey job...

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,811 Posts
If I understand you correctly you wish to drive around with the tailgate open in the door mode. If so I don't recommend that. I believe the extra stress put on the hinges in that situation would cause premature failure.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Ummmm, a broomstick? How about a wedge for the hinge side? Personally I would just open it the other way. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
when using the tailgate in the door mode it has several times slammed shut. really hard. either wind or parking on a slope plus my actions are going to lead to an issue

so hating original thought on my part does anyone have an idea how to keep the tailgate swung open ?

needs to travel in truck bed and a keep that door from swinging shut...

tailgate monkey job...
Nope have not heard of solution for you.
One of the many media review youtube mentions this issue said if you park on slope tailgate may close.

Ummmm, a broomstick? How about a wedge for the hinge side? Personally I would just open it the other way. Problem solved.
Not if you are opening in the swing open mode to enter trunk getting something out or putting it in trunk or bed. If on slope incline that way it might close. You could not get an heavy ice cooler (example) out of in-bed trunk with
tailgate in standard drop down operation. This is main reason for dual action tailgate. Very hard to lift something out of trunk and over tailgate. With swung open puts you closer into bed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ussd the cargo bar one time and it held it when I was unloading firewood. I was admittedly a little uneasy because it didn't seem super set in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jumperthumper is correct about the swing mode. The ridgeline has a ****ty design. Even the crv has a plastic clip that keeps the door open. The ridgeline door closed on the slightest hill or even wind.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been wanting to go out to the garage and build something for this exact situation. It does seem odd no solution is provided with the truck as they want you to use it with the tailgate open as it's shown that way in marketing material.

If I end up coming up with anything cool I'll post it up here.

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
I've had this happen to me while i was loading stuff into the bed. The tailgate would swing into my a** and it's pretty bulky so when it hits it hurts! It's only happened a couple of times but yeah, it's noticeable and it sure would be nice if there was something as simple as a gas shock to slow it down when it hits you !

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Forgive my crude drawing.... I think if you made something like this out of rebar and some welds it could be easily attached through the mounting hooks on the bed. Then tossed in the trunk when not in use. Food for thought...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Park facing downhill
Don't use in windy conditions
wear heavy padding on you azz>:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been wanting to go out to the garage and build something for this exact situation. It does seem odd no solution is provided with the truck as they want you to use it with the tailgate open as it's shown that way in marketing material.

If I end up coming up with anything cool I'll post it up here.
thanks. i had thought of perhaps a trailer door open device might work. in plastic so it would fail if one forgot the hold open was engaged and shut the gate on purpose. anything that is done needs to keep clear of the tailgate itself as a smooth surface is needed to slide things in. so i guess something that comes up from the bottom would be ideal

kind of a big failing on the design. hate to be at the back of truck when the gate slams shut. lot of potential energy in that thing. and lawsuit potential too i guess. too many lawyers and not enough engineers in our world

i assume gen 1s are the same. wonder if any of those folks solved the issue. and i guess honda has not been hit with a lawsuit...

still if it can happen it will eventually

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've NOT tried this, but would offer it as an idea. Wheel chocks might be tried. If they wedged into the left corner once the tailgate was open the might work.

A more squishy rubber scrap or rolled up wetsuit neoprene or rolled up old mouse pad might work with little risk of scratching paint might work.

All of the above could be left in the bed with little risk of someone walking off with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Park facing downhill
Don't use in windy conditions
wear heavy padding on you azz>:)
all good advice but i want to do things my way and not bend to the will of the truck

I've had this happen to me while i was loading stuff into the bed. The tailgate would swing into my a** and it's pretty bulky so when it hits it hurts! It's only happened a couple of times but yeah, it's noticeable and it sure would be nice if there was something as simple as a gas shock to slow it down when it hits you !

Steve
you do realize you just called yourself a"fat a**" ?

bulky is describing the noun immediately preceeding...

·
Registered
105 Posts
How easy it is for us all to forget that the doors to the cab (left side and right side) can slam shut depending on the angle of the parked truck - yet we haven't asked for a doorstop for them since they hung the first door on a motor vehicle. While you can't always park with the driver side of the truck tilting left where gravity can hold the tailgate open in door mode we're pretty much stuck with popping the tailgate down like the rest of the truck community.
Carrying any device that could wedge the tailgate in the open mode that could be stored in the 'trunk' when not being used isn't the answer because when you try to store such a device - the tailgate is going to wack your rear while you're opening and shutting the 'trunk'.
Best cure for keeping the tailgate from 'surprising you' in door mode, if you're mechanically inclined, would be to deepen (you'll need a grinder) the existing click stops already on the tailgate hinge. Either that or always travel with a passenger (doorman) when using the tailgate as a door.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How easy it is for us all to forget that the doors to the cab (left side and right side) can slam shut depending on the angle of the parked truck - yet we haven't asked for a doorstop for them since they hung the first door on a motor vehicle. While you can't always park with the driver side of the truck tilting left where gravity can hold the tailgate open in door mode we're pretty much stuck with popping the tailgate down like the rest of the truck community.
Carrying any device that could wedge the tailgate in the open mode that could be stored in the 'trunk' when not being used isn't the answer because when you try to store such a device - the tailgate is going to wack your rear while you're opening and shutting the 'trunk'.
Best cure for keeping the tailgate from 'surprising you' in door mode, if you're mechanically inclined, would be to deepen (you'll need a grinder) the existing click stops already on the tailgate hinge. Either that or always travel with a passenger (doorman) when using the tailgate as a door.
The doors have catches on them that lightly hold them at specific angles. That's what is missing from the tailgate. The tailgate does not have a catch at full open.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,885 Posts
The doors have catches on them that lightly hold them at specific angles. That's what is missing from the tailgate. The tailgate does not have a catch at full open.
When someone figures this out let me know. Our office has parking on a steep incline. I constantly fight just to keep the doors open as it's really steep enough to overcome the catches on the doors. I never use the swing mode on the tailgate because of the incline. Just something to put up with living in the NW.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.