Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening and happy holidays. I am strongly considering the 2nd gen Ridgeline as my next vehicle. This and the new Tacoma. I was in a parking lot today and noticed a Ridgeline sitting there. I did not appear to have any kind of tailgate lock? Is it powered and therefore they do not put an external key entry on it? If not, I would find this very strange and a mistake. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
We don't know if the Next Generation Ridgeline will come with tailgate lock.
The first Generation did not as said people installed aftermarket options.
Ridgeline does have only in-bed trunk and that is lockable and better than any car trunk. But I am hoping for a lockable tailgate this time.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
...It did not appear to have any kind of tailgate lock?...
Obviously you looked at a Gen1 but are you asking about the Gen2 Ridgeline? I am hoping the Gen2 comes with a lockable tailgate and agree that it would be a mistake for Honda not to include it. In the latest teaser image, I think I see a recessed keyhole under the left side of the handle...or it could be electric.

I'm handy with tools but I'd have a hard time figuring out that DIY tailgate lock for the Gen1 in the link. I only read the first page, so maybe it continues with more complete instructions. I'm sure it also helps to be looking at the actual guts of the tailgate.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Obviously you looked at a Gen1 but are you asking about the Gen2 Ridgeline? I am hoping the Gen2 comes with a lockable tailgate and agree that it would be a mistake for Honda not to include it. In the latest teaser image, I think I see a recessed keyhole under the left side of the handle...or it could be electric.

I'm handy with tools but I'd have a hard time figuring out that DIY tailgate lock for the Gen1 in the link. I only read the first page, so maybe it continues with more complete instructions. I'm sure it also helps to be looking at the actual guts of the tailgate.
You think you see the keyhole on the left side also I think so as well that would make me happy.
On second glance I am not sure about this where is backup cam is this what I see?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Here's a pic of the backup cam on my current RL.
under the handle correct that picture on Next Gen shows left side.
When purchased new in 2007 I had the older OEM bump tailgate back -up cam installed.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Oh, right, I forgot about the backup camera. That's what I'm probably seeing under the handle. Maybe Honda will put an electric lock on the tailgate latch and skip the keyhole (although dead battery = no entry).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
Three things Honda will most likely screw-up for the next gen.

1- No center armrest console
2-No tailgate lock
3-Pilot looking front end

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a pic of the backup cam on my current RL.
Looking at that teaser photo, the tailgate handle assembly looks pretty close to what you have. So unless it is powered, it does not appear to come with any kind of manual lock. A lot of folks will get some sort of cover. It would be nice to secure your items under it without fear of someone opening your tailgate and looking in. It is almost like the Honda bean counters told the engineers they are allowed 5 locks. Use them wisely..lol. I drive a 2001 Sport Trac and it has a factory locking tailgate. Just strange in this day and age not to have it standard.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Three things Honda will most likely screw-up for the next gen.

1- No center armrest console
2-No tailgate lock
3-Pilot looking front end
While it does not make my top 5 complaints, If I were judging from the outside, reality of VCM merits a Top 2.

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
While Jones' top 3 Honda screw-ups are potential fall-downs, VCM seems to be a given for the next gen RL. That 1-2 mpg VCM bump in hwy mpg with is too precious for Honda to relinquish.
OTOH, their 10-spd might make up for lack of VCM. Besides, Joe mentioned that the sales figures are too low to affect CAFE, so they'd only be doing it for bragging rights.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
OTOH, their 10-spd might make up for lack of VCM. Besides, Joe mentioned that the sales figures are too low to affect CAFE, so they'd only be doing it for bragging rights.
True, but Honda may need all the bragging rights they can get for the G2 if the looks are a fail. I'm anxious for the 10AT as well, but surely we will have a clue about production beginning at a Honda facility in the US before we see the new tranny in a vehicle...unless you think they made a batch of them in Japan and shipped 'em over to introduce in the RL as a "test platform" (NAIAS "surprise"). That's not impossible, I guess, but seems highly unlikely.

·
Registered
267 Posts
True, but Honda made need all the bragging rights they can get for the G2 if the looks are a fail. I'm anxious for the 10AT as well, but surely we will have a clue about production beginning at a Honda facility in the US before we see the new tranny in a vehicle...unless you think they made a batch of them in Japan and shipped 'em over to introduce in the RL as a "test platform" (NAIAS "surprise"). That's not impossible, I guess, but seems highly unlikely.
Yeah the thought of the 10 AT being the "surprise" crossed my mind too, but I think that's a long shot. Even if if were I'm not sure I'd want one the first year out.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah the thought of the 10 AT being the "surprise" crossed my mind too, but I think that's a long shot. Even if if were I'm not sure I'd want one the first year out.
Unless OTOH the first year out uses a 10Speed made in Japan. Not that 1st year risks disappear.... but I'd think I'd like my chances.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
I hope they are putting a lockable tailgate on the gen2. Almost everyone else has them at this point.
From all the practicalities they put in the first gen RL, that is one of the things they overlooked and most likely will overlook again this time. Even when they offer a Honda tonneau cover as an accessory. They had everything up to room for a full size spare in the trunk or in box to coin and card holders. But no lock... Alas, my guess is that will be another thing they screw-up.:act060:

I would even be willing to trade my cruise control for a TG lock..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I may be thick but I don't exactly understand the importance of a tailgate lock. Unless one has a hard tonneau cover or cap, isn't it like locking the doors on a convertible? Senseless if you leave the top down, and if a soft top, easy to "get into" with a knife......

OTOH a locking trunk makes sense.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I may be thick but I don't exactly understand the importance of a tailgate lock. Unless one has a hard tonneau cover or cap, isn't it like locking the doors on a convertible? Senseless if you leave the top down, and if a soft top, easy to "get into" with a knife......

OTOH a locking trunk makes sense.
I would guess this is what everybody that want's the tailgate lock planning to get a hard cover.
The OEM hard Tonneau Cover was one of the accessories purchased at delivery. The cover has held up well in the almost 9yrs but the little Mickey Mouse key lock in the cover was crap. It gave us problems from day one easy to break into and worthless. I did not go aftermarket like some others.
Having the lockable trunk is a nice thing but having the tailgate lock with cover gives you more options to keep your stuff safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts