Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2020 RTL- E and am really enjoying it. Lots of features to figure out. I was about to buy and install a "Pop & Lock" for tailgate (a $100 add on) However after discussing it with the product rep. It seems my truck already has one from the factory. However, it comes from the factory "disabled" for some unknown/crazy reason. You have to go to your panel screen, find the "settings" menu, find "vehicle settings", scroll until you find the "tailgate settings" and "enable" the locking capability. Works like a champ now! Not sure all models have it, but the RTL-E does. Drive safely!

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's about darn time they put a lock on the RL in the factory. When I bought my 2019 I had done my research and knew about this very basic feature not being included so I had the dealer install one when I bought it, but to think after 2 years of the 2nd gen being sold they had not included this for the 2019 just blew my mind. I'm happy for the 2020 owners who finally are getting a feature that should have been included 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I just got a 2020 RTL- E and am really enjoying it. Lots of features to figure out. I was about to buy and install a "Pop & Lock" for tailgate (a $100 add on) However after discussing it with the product rep. It seems my truck already has one from the factory. However, it comes from the factory "disabled" for some unknown/crazy reason. You have to go to your panel screen, find the "settings" menu, find "vehicle settings", scroll until you find the "tailgate settings" and "enable" the locking capability. Works like a champ now! Not sure all models have it, but the RTL-E does. Drive safely!

Dan
You purchased the new 2020 truck and did not know about one it's key new features?
I would rank that #2 of the new key features on the 2020.
If you don't have a Tonneau Cover or plan to buy one it's not really important feature Ridgeline.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2020 locking tailgate can be installed on a 2019 so that we can unlock the tailgate with our key fob?
I don't know the answer for sure, but I would bet the answer is yes with a lot of time, work, and money spent. I suspect it would be much cheaper and easier to either rig your own electronic tailgate mechanism or get and install the pop and lock kit. On my old Tundra I added one myself by making a small bracket and putting in a standard door actuator that was less than $10 I think. It worked well and lasted many years on my truck until it eventually died and I replaced it with another one that was still going when i sold my truck.

On the Ridgeline I've though about putting one in, but since I mainly use the trunk and don't really leave anything in the bed or have a tonneau yet, I thinking I may not need or want a locking tailgate. Of course I can see for some it would be much more important.

What would really help is if someone with a 2020 opens theirs up and takes pictures or video of everything. Not sure if anyone will have any reason to do so though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts