Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Quote 1 of the reviews to better understand the functionality...

Simple and Effective

Given the cost of replacing a tailgate, this offers a simple and effective theft deterrent. Fits my Dodge 2001. The loop is oversized which I assume is why they can claim it fits all models and sizes. Very easy to install. Just remove the band from lock body, slip the band behind the hinge peg attached to the truck, slip the tailgate back on the peg and reinstall the lock. The lock has a plasticized cover to prevent metal-to-metal rubbing and rattles. I wound electrical tape around the locking loop to prevent rubbing here as well.

· Registered
2017 AWD SPORT. Peragon. 1.5x0.5 traxda lift. 265/60/18 allseason. Elec popnlock. Door hack.
433 Posts
Looks like this is only for theft prevention. It doesnt keep the tailgate from opening and closing (which is what i believe is the feature desired by ridgeline owners).

· Registered
44 Posts
I did the same thing on my Ram 1500 with a 75 cent hose clamp.
Yes, this only prevents people from stealing the tailgate. Not opening it.
I have not looked closely enough at the RL's hinge system to see if anything like this could work. I doubt with the Double Action tailgate of the RL that removal is as simple as it is on a standard pickup.

Scott P.

· Registered
606 Posts
My RTL with AWD has a tailgate lock. Not understanding which trims don't have them. Just curious. Lots of discussion about this.
No offence meant here, welcome to the ROC, but to be brutally honest:

None of the trim levels have a tailgate lock. You most likely have one of the "sticky" tailgates if you cannot open it.

Reactions: DSERVIT

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My RTL with AWD has a tailgate lock. Not understanding which trims don't have them. Just curious. Lots of discussion about this.
Then you are special...you're the only one that have the much sought after tailgate lock ! >:):grin:

you sure you know the difference between a tailgate and the in bed trunk ??
Some people referred to the trunk as the tailgate...which is NOT what we are referring to here ! :)

· Premium Member
202 Posts
No offence meant here, welcome to the ROC, but to be brutally honest:

None of the trim levels have a tailgate lock. You most likely have one of the "sticky" tailgates if you cannot open it.
AGree with this post. There is not a tailgate lock from the factory. There are tailgates that stick and will not open, but that is not related to a tailgate lock. More of a tailgate failure to open that can be fixed by your Honda dealer.

If you are not able to open your tailgate, take it back to get it fixed.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,973 Posts
>:) Hmmm, maybe we've been looking at this all wrong....those with "sticking" tailgates are actually dealing with electromagnetically-locked tailgates....the magnet (like the horn) just isn't strong enough...

Assuming JunoPapa is from Alaska, where magnetic poles are stronger, his is actually working....

Those of you with sticking tailgates, please hit the unlock button on your fob first! >:)

Note: the above was written with sarcasm and a dry sense of humor...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.