Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow owners
I installed OEM tailgate lock about an year ago and about 6 months I started having issues opening the tailgate using the centre handle. I had to push in the door and then pull the handle simultaneously to open the door and now it completely stopped opening. I removed the panel to inspect the linkages nothing obvious is broken I started bending them to remove play and handle started working but only after kind of resetting a linkage so it works fine until I open it once sideways after that back to the same issue. Anyone had this issue and found a fix please share? It seems quite complex so far. I don't want to go too deep and mess something that still works fine. Out of warranty as the truck was purchased in July 2016. My gut feeling is I pulled on the handle too hard when the tail gate was locked. It is confusing sometimes to tell if it is locked looking at the keyhole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Hmm, there was no OEM tailgate lock for the 2017 model year, unless the Canadian model was different. Perhaps contact the manufacturer of that lock you installed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
By "add on" do you mean "aftermarket" or "optional equipment"?
They released it as optional equipment and you can buy it and install it your self or pay the stealership to do it. Part number change by color of tail gate so multiple part numbers out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That picture shows the yellow tab disconnected. Any chance it came loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I disconnected it for troubleshooting purposes. No tabs are broken. Nothing I found loose so for.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, there was no OEM tailgate lock for the 2017 model year, unless the Canadian model was different. Perhaps contact the manufacturer of that lock you installed.
It is an OEM lock that you can buy from Dealership for like 100 bucks by ur paint code for a color match

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replace the lock and handle with the factory oem painted unit. Work ok in the beginning no problem. Later on had a hard time opening the tailgate down. Lubed the Outside lock on the Tailgate door . Which helped . The real problem was the latch and striker on the right side needed to be adjusted on the tail gate door. I lowered it down slightly. The brass looking striker right side of the tailgate Car body 2 screws .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replace the lock and handle with the factory oem painted unit. Work ok in the beginning no problem. Later on had a hard time opening the tailgate down. Lubed the Outside lock on the Tailgate door . Which helped . The real problem was the latch and striker on the right side needed to be adjusted on the tail gate door. I lowered it down slightly. The brass looking striker right side of the tailgate Car body 2 screws .
Finally thanks buddy. Can you post a picture of which one u are talking about plz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts