Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Tailgate open warning

60K views 69 replies 37 participants last post by  bigmo 
#1 ·
Is there a way to disable the tailgate warning (dash light and beeping) when the tailgate is in the drop-down position? Did Honda consider that people would like to actually drive their trucks with the tailgate down sometimes when hauling long items and create a way to shut off the annoying warning?

Here's the deal...

A month or so ago I used my truck move a large kayak a few miles from my Grandparents' house to my parents' house. I put it in the bed and had the tailgate down in the drop-down position (like a normal truck tailgate), with the kayak sticking out the back. I drove for maybe 15-20 minutes like this and never once did the "tailgate open/down" alarm come on.

I recently purchased another kayak and have hauled it that same way 4 times, and each time I was immediately greeted with the loud beeping and dashboard display of the tailgate being open. Well duh, the tailgate is open, I want it that way, but do I HAVE to listen to this alarm the whole time?!?

I've tried searching the forum... not much there. Can anyone help me out? Obviously there will be times when us Ridgers want to haul something with the tailgate down and not have to listen to an alarm going off.

Is it possible that I have a faulty sensor? I suppose I should also mention that it seems like sometimes my cargo lights will flicker when I'm doing something in the bed (loading/unloading, using it is as a bench, etc.). Maybe there is a faulty wire or something...

I still have plenty of warranty left, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of taking it to a dealer if possible. Of course, if there is a problem, I will get it fixed, just wondering if this is normal and there is something built-in to disable the alarm.

Any help would be great, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this driving with the tailgate down or swung open to the side? There is an alarm to tell you the tailgate is open from the side (though it only sounds when you start the truck) but nothing should alarm to tell you that it's down. Maybe this is a "feature" on newer trucks?

Does the door/TPMS/tailgate indicator next to the odometer also flicker in conjunction with your cargo lights? This sounds suspicious.

#5 · (Edited)
beatle,

This is when the tailgate is down, not swung open, but down like any other truck tailgate. Come to think of it, since I have owned my truck (bought it Oct. 2014) I have hauled numerous things of length (couch, bed, lumber) with the tailgate down, and I never have I had that alarm go off. It is only in the last 2-3 weeks hauling my kayak that it started to go off...

To test it, today I left my truck running, and with the windows and driver's door open, I dropped down the tailgate and immediately heard the alarm going off as soon as I released the tailgate. I did locate the sensor on the bottom right-hand corner, and saw that it is a push-button-type mechanism, requiring pressure from the tailgate to compress, and therefore "sense" that it is closed. Anyway, with just opening the tailgate the alarm sounds.

As far as the dash lights go, i've only noticed the "door open" (tailgate) light is on while the tailgate alarm is sounding. About the cargo lights, I have only noticed the flickering while I'm by myself working in the bed, so I cannot say if anything else is happening inside the cab.

The sensor on the right hand side bottom edge of the bed needs to be adjusted.
Mike, How would you adjust the sensor? I did not spend much time with it as I was in the middle of the street by the mailbox, but I could tell by pressing it in, the sensor was deactivated, similar to a refriegerator plunger turning the light on and off. Something that just came to me is, is it threaded? letting you screw it inwards or outwards to adjust the position of the sensor? If not, how would I adjust it? Duct tape shim on the tailgate?

As always, I am so thankful for the resource that is the ROC! I appreciate all of the help anyone has to offer.

Thanks guys

#4 · (Edited)
I have not yet driven with it down, though came close on more than one occasion. There must be a way since it is down when carrying bikes, with or without a bed extender, etc.

A related issue I had was the alarm going off a while after locking up and leaving. It appeared to be an issue with the tailgate sensor. It turns out it was simply a matter of slamming the tailgate a little harder when closing from a drop down position (not side opening).
I could slam the tailgate just enough to where it seems like it is holding just fine. But when I gripped the top of the tailgate and put pressure on it there was still some play.

There should be zero play! It should come up firm and stay tight with no play at all. Maybe it is just mine that is that way, but since I found this out have had no alarms go off.

#6 ·
#13 ·
Be careful about that. They might just decide that you "playing around with it" has voided your warranty in that area. If they see any 'witness' marks in the area, or other evidence of tampering, they may balk. You never can tell..... a lot depends on who you're dealing with. Best leave it alone & let them do their thing.

#15 ·
Thanks, that thread has some good info. It sounds like the lights flickering and the alarm are all related to the tailgate sensor. It sounds like the Honda shim is what I need, but if it is not too much of a pain, I will try to get the dealership to do it to keep my warranty intact.

Thanks all. I'll let you know when I ever get around to this.

#16 ·
when my tailgate is down, i get a "tailgate open" warning message, with a diagram showing it open sideways. But, it's not open sideways. It's opened down (hauling stuff).

Is mine malfunctioning (incorrectly sensing that it's opened sideways), or is this how all of them work?

#17 ·
Does anyone know if you can quiet or disable he tailgate warning indicator temporarily? I picked up some trim from he hardware store today at lunch and the warning webt off several times on the ride home. I would think if you are using a bed extender and know the tailgate is open that you could turn off the warning at least until the ignition is cycled. I've seen some posts about the tailgate warning coming on due to adjustment issues, but nothing about disabling it so sorry if someone has already posted. I read the manual and don't recall seeing anything in there about it either. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know. It's not a huge deal, but could be annoying on longer trips.

#18 ·
Does your -T have rear parking sensors? I hauled some tree limbs in my -E today and the rear parking sensors were set off by some limbs overhanging the tail gate. As far as I know there is no tailgate warning system.

#20 ·
No, the -T doesn't have the parking sensors standard and I didn't add them. I had some chair rail mounding bungee corded in the bed with the tailgate down. I made it about a half mile to the highway and once on the highway the warning came off an on. It actually was going off and on in an odd pattern almost like the switch was acting up, but obviously I knew my tailgate was down. I wonder if it only comes on after you've reached a certain speed.

#23 ·
Audible and message in cluster display "tailgate open". I'll try to take some photos or a video.

#25 ·
Well mine was laying down flat, but I imagine it would come on either way, but not sure how often anyone would drive with it opened to the side on purpose. I have a bed extender and a hitch bed extender arriving tomorrow and both would be used with the tailgate down so hopefully I can figure it out.

#28 · (Edited)
OK, I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I decided to go out for a quick ride. Yes, you get the message as shown in your post if the doors are open, but if just the tailgate is open, you get the one shown in my photos with audible warnings. I also uploaded a video. I was on the highway for a couple minutes before it started with the warning.

https://youtu.be/49k36m0jyno

Sorry, not sure why photo is rotated sideways, it isn't saved that way on my computer.

Attachments

#31 ·
It seems like it would be a useful warning if the tailgate was opened to the side as I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to be driving like that! The warning seems to indicate that as well, but maybe it's the only way they could show the tailgate easily in the graphic. This leads me to think it could be a stuck sensor or something making the truck think the tailgate is open to the side when it's actually down. As others have said and observed, I can't see any reason they would put an alarm in for the tailgate being down.

#34 ·
It happened to me, too. I was wondering if it's by design (which would be stupid) or if it's a malfunction. The warning specifically shows the tailgate being opened sideways, but i had it opened down.

I'm hoping it's a malfunctioning sensor.

I have an RTL-T. Anyone else having the issue (or not having it . . . able to drive with the tailgate down without a warning going off)?

#35 ·
Well unfortunately I didn't take any photos today, but I did take a look at the tailgate switch. The switch itself is mounted on the bed and when you open the gate to the side, the aluminum arm that contacts it is attached to the tailgate and moves away completely with the tailgate. When you drop the tailgate flat, the aluminum arm is still right over top of the switch.

I don't think the arm is supposed to move when the tailgate is down, but I think for some reason the arm is moving away just enough to cause the warning to come off and on intermittently. In short, I don't think the warning should be coming on and the arm needs adjustment. I'll update again with photos once I have more time to look at it to see if there's a simple adjustment.

Reactions: eastbayBee
#36 · (Edited)
I was hauling boxes, etc. to a storage unit yesterday and had the tailgate down as I needed the extra bed space. All the way there the tailgate open warning would intermittently flash so it was very annoying for the trip. Is there a way to disable that warning when hauling stuff with the tailgate down?

#38 ·
Thanks for the link even though there wasn't a fix... I will check out the switch and see if I can come up with a MacGyver fix and post. Being an electromechanical technician for 20+ years I've had experience with sensors and interlock switches...

#39 · (Edited)
Re: Tailgate open warning - SOLUTION!!

Here's the solution - attached pics

Interlock switch on tailgate indicates when opened swing from the side... it is not supposed to indicate if tailgate is down.

What happens is the when the tailgate is down, sometimes the weight of the tailgate pulls slightly on the actuator and the interlock does not make good contact.

If your RL has the bed lights you can test this by pushing down on the tailgate and see the lights flicker on and off.

I added a spacer to the actuator so it would push in the switch more to make better contact and eliminate the play.

I will replace the cork spacer with a nylon one as below to last longer as the cork will reform over time...

Hope this helps!

-Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.