Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've got a 2019 RTL-E and used a Yakima Gatekeeper tailgate pad daily last summer and wound up running into velcro issues that resulted in it going back. It fits pretty much perfectly and the flap in the back allows full camera/tailgate handle access.

Does anyone have experience with any other tailgate pads that fit well and allow cameras to function when not in use (flap to fold up, etc) as I leave it on basically all summer? I'm probably going to wind up rebuying that yakima but would rather not as i'm sure i'll run into the same issue with the velcro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah... makes sense now... bicycles. I should have picked up on that with the Yakima branding.

I was visualizing those ugly bumper pads I see on some cars in Chicago and New York.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used this last summer with 4 bikes. The camera flap works and didn’t have any issues with the velcro tie downs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used this last summer with 4 bikes. The camera flap works and didn’t have any issues with the velcro tie downs.

The dakine dlx (small I'm assuming) fits ok between the sides on the back w/o pinching? That's one thing i noticed that with the magic gate side open deal you lose a few inches to the pivot/latch. My yakima was basically the smallest made @ 53" and it would still get pinched if it shifted over. That dlx looked like the next best option but they state specifically on their site that it doesn't fit the 2g rl, which i found odd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys. I've got a 2019 RTL-E and used a Yakima Gatekeeper tailgate pad daily last summer and wound up running into velcro issues that resulted in it going back. It fits pretty much perfectly and the flap in the back allows full camera/tailgate handle access.

Does anyone have experience with any other tailgate pads that fit well and allow cameras to function when not in use (flap to fold up, etc) as I leave it on basically all summer? I'm probably going to wind up rebuying that yakima but would rather not as i'm sure i'll run into the same issue with the velcro.
Hmmm, I just bought the Yakima for my new RTL-E. I'm hoping I have better luck than you did. Seems great but... what was it that went bad excactly? I wont' be using it very much until next season and I'd like to know what to look out for. Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The dakine dlx (small I'm assuming) fits ok between the sides on the back w/o pinching? That's one thing i noticed that with the magic gate side open deal you lose a few inches to the pivot/latch. My yakima was basically the smallest made @ 53" and it would still get pinched if it shifted over. That dlx looked like the next best option but they state specifically on their site that it doesn't fit the 2g rl, which i found odd.
Yes it’s the small size. I didn’t notice any problems with it pinching on the ends or have trouble opening/closing the tailgate either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, I just bought the Yakima for my new RTL-E. I'm hoping I have better luck than you did. Seems great but... what was it that went bad excactly? I wont' be using it very much until next season and I'd like to know what to look out for. Thanks!
So basically the velcro quit sticking on the loops i frequently used 4 months into owning it . Granted I ride a ton (like 5-6 days a week) so it got a lot of use but still, i've got velcro on stuff from the 90's that still works. So i called Yakima who usually has unbelievable customer support (I was a yakima dealer for like 10 years in a previous life) and their response was "well talk to REI and see what they can do about it since you bought it there" which was kind of a bs response but REI handled it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So basically the velcro quit sticking on the loops i frequently used 4 months into owning it . Granted I ride a ton (like 5-6 days a week) so it got a lot of use but still, i've got velcro on stuff from the 90's that still works. So i called Yakima who usually has unbelievable customer support (I was a yakima dealer for like 10 years in a previous life) and their response was "well talk to REI and see what they can do about it since you bought it there" which was kind of a bs response but REI handled it.
Thanks very much! For me it'll be weekends in the summer, one or 2 bikes, quick trips to the trail head. I'll rotate the loops I use and keep and eye on it. Keep pedalin'!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with the RaceFace and love it! I keep it under the rear seats when I am not using it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All I can say is, so far so good. Functionally it’s perfect, I really like the thickness of the padding as my 29”er front wheels are big and the tailgate is well protected from the hub skewers. No issues with the Velcro, And I see no degradation at all so far but, again this is year one, weekend use, and that’s not exactly a long term or heavy duty use report.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks, Rumblejess for your feedback. I like the Yakima a lot and apparently it's high quality, thick and with a 2 year warranty. How is the width of it for the Ridgeline - do you have to squish it together or does it bunch up at all or no?

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, it doesn’t bunch up at all. I have the medium size version which is what Yakima specs for the Ridgeline. You have center it carefully of course but It’s a perfect fit and it covers the whole top of the tailgate side to side.

I think someone else mentioned earlier that one of the benefits of the RL dual open tailgate is that you can swing the gate out, loosen the straps and slide it right off the end, and it goes back on just as easily. No threading straps through the bottom of the gate. This is a great feature and it's especially handy if you want to take the pad off at the trailhead and store it.

Bottom line, I can't find anything I don't like about the Yakima so far, and lots that I do. It is not the cheapest I know but I've had good luck with their products in the past and I feel it's a quality product and therefore a good value. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm, It honestly never occurred to me. First off, if the straps are tightened properly, they aren't moving. Secondly, I don't leave it on the truck all the time. Only when heading out for rides. Third, cosidering all the other abuse my bed and tailgate get, that really isn't a concern. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm, It honestly never occurred to me. First off, if the straps are tightened properly, they aren't moving. Secondly, I don't leave it on the truck all the time. Only when heading out for rides. Third, cosidering all the other abuse my bed and tailgate get, that really isn't a concern. But, that's just me.
Also, If i felt like it was going to be an issue for a long trip I'd just use my Küat NV hitch rack instead. Save the room in the bed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts