Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I tried the reflective tape at first but it kept peeling off so I bought the self-adhesive type. However, the adhesive was too thick and it rubbed against the taillight when closing for the bottom one. So then, I removed the adhesive and put on my own thinner 3M clear double sided adhesive and now it works great. No easy chore getting it off the black platic, had to scrub hard with Goof Off. Of course a simple 5 minute project turned into an hour one.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
I like that better than the red reflective tape on mine. I'm going shopping!!! ! :p I wonder if they come in pink???? Looks great!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why do you put the reflector on the tail gate but no the doors? It seems that when your door is opened, a door reflector ( taped inside) will alert other cars passing by or people pulling in the parking space next to yours.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another alternative is to go to a highway sign shop (the supplier for actual highway signs - in your own state) and buy a square foot of "engineer" grade reflective tape in your choice of colors - red, green, blue, white, orange.

This is the stuff they make stop signs, yield signs, mph signs, etc., for highway use. They buy the stuff in large rolls and will most likely GIVE you a few waste pieces. The stuff sticks like crazy and reflects REALLY, REALLY good. It is very thin so won't interfere with opening or closing your tailgate. Clean the area you want this stuff to stick to with some alcohol and you shouldn't have any problems with it coming off. Just check out highway signs with your brights on to see what I'm talking about (-:

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Blue said:
Why do you put the reflector on the tail gate but no the doors? It seems that when your door is opened, a door reflector will alert other cars are passing by or people pulling in the parking space next to yours.

The doors already have a white light that's near the edge. I rarely leave the doors open for long while the tailgate I might leave open for awhile. I do this when I streach in the parking lot before my softball games at night. However, now that you mention it, it couldn't hurt. I'll have to check out the clearnce on the doors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thinking more about this, you can also buy a roll of truck/trailer reflective tape (kind of expensive) at a truck parts store. A couple of guys could go in together or one guy buy a roll and a few of you buy from him - a #10 business envelope would get it to you from him. It is NOT the same stuff you get at Wally World!

This is the stuff big rigs use on their trailers and the same grade as school buses use. You can see that stuff 10 miles away. It is the same kind of stuff that the highway sign makers use.

Still think the highway sign makers is the place tho because I figure they will probably give you a few scraps that would be just right for the tailgates.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah like.................I guess I'll just go to the "local highway sign shop" now.

Hmmmmm......I wonder where one of those are?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Chicago,

Check your yellow pages, or watch the paper if your local gov prints contracts.

chicago said:
Yeah like.................I guess I'll just go to the "local highway sign shop" now.

Hmmmmm......I wonder where one of those are?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I picked up some trucker's tape at NAPA. Part number 98104-1, $8.99. It's the same stuff they sell in a roll for $250+, but it's just two strips. The flash changed the color, but it's red on the bottom, and silver on the top, just like on the back of a tractor trailer.

I have enough left over to do one more tailgate. The first person to PM me with your email address gets it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Congratulations to utvnut. The tape is spoken for.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I special ordered the tape from Shovelhd's kind posting, but it did not look quite the same when I got it. There was far more red than silver so I sliced that part off and put it on the inside bottom of the doors so they will show when they are open.

Later, I found this tape in stock at a truck stop in rural Idaho. Our largest truck stop in my town did not have it in stock.

No problem with peeling. This stuff is the same as you see on commercial trucks and trailers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I picked up some trucker's tape at NAPA. Part number 98104-1
Is this now NAPA part number LIT18DB?

This looks like the same product... This is the page that describes it, though I don't know if the link will stay live:

LIT18DB

Locally it's $4.29 a strip, but the local Colorado Springs' NAPA has to have it shipped to them from the Denver warehouse.

Roak

Added on edit: The Denver warehouse shipped an entire box of strips to the Academy and Austin Bluffs' NAPA, so any Colorado Springs folks who want strips, that's where to go...

·
Registered
601 Posts
We often use 3M Scotchlite reflective tape at work for marking helmets and tools. It's available in multiple colors, and helps identify equipment when operating in a smoky or dark environment. The great thing about this is that it's available in black. Nice and unobtrusive during the day, reflects white at night. I may have to look at using some for my tailgate. I like the idea, just think the red/white on the tailgate might annoy me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts