Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ridge goes in 4 service in the a.m. The handle that releases the tailgate to swing sideways has begun to fail. I called my dealer they said they had 1 other with this prob and they know how to fix it. they said it will take about 2 hours to fix. Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
No problems here...RCU, can you describe the problem in more depth? Thanks, I think that information would be helpful. :cool:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
And please tell us what the dealer says is the cause of the malfunction. Just like the windshield noise problem, if you can give the dealer a place to start looking for the problem, they may be able to fix it faster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Tailgate Release problem. Hope the Honda dealer can solve quickly. I myself do have another problem. The rear jump seat behind the drivers side has been working fine, until Saturday. Now I cannot raise the seat at all. Acts like the locking device will not release!! I also have a date with my Missouri Honda dealer, on Thursday to resolve. Any one else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
missed my svc. appt. now goes in fri a.m. 4/13. The handle will not engage the release mechanism for the swing function of the gate. You can lower it like a tailgate a few times, and then maybe it will work to swing out. I'll let you know when the dealer tells me whats wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The day I brought the RL home, I sprayed the tailgate mechanisms with TriFlo lube. Looked dry and I was compelled to spray it with something ;-). Gotta say, I love my TriFlo!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just dropped my RTS this afternoon to the dealership for the same prob with the tail gate. They said it was the latch mechanism inside and will be done by tomorrow. They gave me a loaner '05 Corolla :( from Enterprise..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had the same problem Honda is aware of it and there is a fix. The problem is the Sensor Rod length, its approx. 5mm too long. It was a quick fix once my shop got the part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealer replaced the sensor rod between L tailgate latch and synchronizer. Tailgate swings out flawlessly now. They have a TSB for it,. repair took 2-3 hours. I got complimentary wash & detail and a full tank of gas :D .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK the dealer stated that my handle had become disconnected from the latching mechanism. They reconn. and everything is fine now. Took about 1 hour. I mentioned to the dealer what I had read about the pin being 5mm to long. They refuted that saying that if that were the case then all of the trucks would have the pin that is 5mm too long and thus all the trucks would need service. Just letting ya know.

L

·
0 Posts
I have had no issues with my tail gate opening either way and I use it many times during the week and about 100 times on the weekends since I got it. My sons races Karts and he is in and out of that thing like a bride-groom on his wedding night.
:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
This whole 5mm too long thing just doesn't sound right to me...they do make strikers to adjust for a reason...thats how all door (and now tailgates) are adjusted at the plant! If you loosen the striker slightly and use a hammer it will probably move 1/4 inch in either direction ;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was just telling everyone what was conveyed to me.

They did replace the Sensor Rod on my RL as well as Ridz54 which would indicate that there was something wrong with it in the 1st place.

My tailgate has worked perfectly ever since.

L

·
0 Posts
Does this help????

The tailgate sticks when you pull the upper handle to
open the tailgate in drop mode.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The left body-side striker/hinge is out of adjustment.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Adjust the left body-side striker/hinge.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Open the tailgate with the upper handle (drop
mode).
2. Using a Torx T-50 bit and ratchet, remove the bolt
that holds the tailgate support cable to the tailgate.
Place the cable end out of the way inside the bed
area.
NOTE: With the support cable disconnected, the
tailgate is not supported in drop mode.
3. Hold the tailgate up. Using a Torx T-50 bit and
ratchet, loosen one of the left body-side striker/
hinge bolts, then retighten it finger-tight. Repeat
this again for the other two bolts, one at a time.
4. While holding the upper handle in the open
position, close and open the tailgate hard three
times.
5. Close and latch the tailgate, then reopen it, noting if
the tailgate sticks:
• If the sticking is reduced or eliminated, go to
step 6.
• If the sticking has not improved, repeat steps 3
and 4 with the bolts slightly loosened.
6. Starting with the middle bolt, torque the three striker
bolts to 40 N.m (30 lb-ft).
7. Reinstall the support cable and bolt, and torque the
bolt to 30 N.m (22 lb-ft).
8. Recheck the tailgate drop mode operation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine, the drop down handle was not working. When I tried it nothing would happen so I unlatched the swing out and closed it again and the drop down function worked again. In the future I will make sure the gate is latched good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine failed this week, they have to order the parts for it. Started to fail over the last couple months but now will not work at all, only when you use the release to open sideways as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
has anyone had problems with their 2007 ridgeline with the tailgate sticking in the sideways opening mode?

mine is starting to 'stick' a little but it opens with a few tight pulls. that shouldnt be right. i want to try a lubricant first to see if this will help.

any suggestions as to what to use? thanks so much.

·
Registered
189 Posts
has anyone had problems with their 2007 ridgeline with the tailgate sticking in the sideways opening mode?

mine is starting to 'stick' a little but it opens with a few tight pulls. that shouldnt be right. i want to try a lubricant first to see if this will help.

any suggestions as to what to use? thanks so much.
I have started to develop the same thing. The tailgait opens harder in the side mode than it did when I bought it. Takes a few good tugs sometime. I have not tried anything yet to see if I can fix it.

Let me know if you find out !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts