Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start a new thread that has "Tailgate" in the title. There are other threads that have tailgate issues discussed but at least two do not have tailgate in the title so can be hard to find.

Please post your tailgate issues and repairs here as well as the all but certain TSB when it shows up.

I took mine in today (was not opening sideways). I was lucky enough to get a mechanic who had a fair amount of experience. He agreed with what other Honda mechanics have told other forum members and that is that one of the rods is really a bit too long. He bent it a bit to effectively shorten it, just like other mechanics have done. He suspected there will be a TSB and a new, shorter rod before long.

He also noted that the latches were poorly adjusted and did that as well. It operates smoothly in both directions, at least for now.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also occurred to me that since the rod that is the culprit has several bends designed into it as it comes from the factory, all it would take to be the wrong length is for that part to be a bit out of spec as far as those bends are concerned. It could be badly speced by Honda or maybe their supplier did not provide the part bent as specified by Honda. Either could easily case the problem.

· Premium Member
202 Posts
My tailgate is fixed. The technician found the lower latch was not connected. He reconnected the parts and it works... for now. Odd, it worked fine for about a week. Perhaps it wasn't fully seated from the factory?

He made no additional bend to the rod. My VIN is in the 6600 range.

· Registered
13 Posts
I took mine in on Tuesday, the tailgate does not open at all. The dealer took it off and found some bad parts. Now I'm waiting on them to call when they come in. I will post with what exactly they replaced when I get it fixed. I have a hard time believing that this wasn't a known problem when it was shipped seeing how this appears to be a common problem. The dealer says mine is the only one they've had come back with this problem so far, so hopefully this doesn't happen to the majority of people.

· Registered
17 Posts
Well, today mine will no longer open either way. Off to the dealer early in the AM.........

Problem is that I need to get to a bunch of stuff in the trunk......:frown:
On my G1 there is enough room to take an "L shaped Allen wrench" and slip it in the crack between the tailgate and trunk to push the trunk release button.
Not sure you can do that with the G2 though.

· Premium Member
87 Posts
Well, today mine will no longer open either way. Off to the dealer early in the AM.........

Problem is that I need to get to a bunch of stuff in the trunk......
You can open the trunk with the tailgate closed. Just get eye level with bottom of tailgate and you'll see the release mechanism. I can actually fit my hand in to open it. I've done this a few times on my BE when parked in garage and can't open tailgate due to garage door being down.

· Registered
26 Posts
You can open the trunk with the tailgate closed. Just get eye level with bottom of tailgate and you'll see the release mechanism. I can actually fit my hand in to open it. I've done this a few times on my BE when parked in garage and can't open tailgate due to garage door being down.
Great tip - thanks!
My tailgate began failing within a couple of weeks of delivery. It would drop down but not swing out. The dealership where I bought the truck was extremely apologetic and accommodating. They ordered and replaced the latch and gave me a loaner overnight.

I can't help to think how embarrassing it must be to Honda corporate. After all, the "Dual Action" tailgate is one of the unique features that set the RL apart.

· Registered
43 Posts
Got up today to be the dealer at 7:30 AM when they open. Thought I'd double check the tailgate one more time and guess what? It now works both ways.

I am not crazy, I fought with it yesterday, twice, more than 5 min each time. Did not work.

This morning it has works but has a funny feel to it like something new is going on when you depress either latch, but it now opens reliably either way. Go figure......

It's very hot here and it rained hard yesterday, (and the moon is full and it was Wednesday......sheesh.)

Hope they get a TSB out on this soon, I don't want to be stranded with no access to the bed or trunk.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,925 Posts
Got up today to be the dealer at 7:30 AM when they open. Thought I'd double check the tailgate one more time and guess what? It now works both ways.

I am not crazy, I fought with it yesterday, twice, more than 5 min each time. Did not work.

This morning it has works but has a funny feel to it like something new is going on when you depress either latch, but it now opens reliably either way. Go figure......

Maybe you accidentally locked it yesterday with the key fob... bwahahahahaha! :p

Yes, that is a joke! Poking fun at the mystery "locking tailgate" controversy that was so prevalent on this forum in May and June. You must've hit upon the magic button combination on the key fob to find the "easter egg" that locks the trunk... :)

· Registered
43 Posts
Update on my issue with the tailgate.

Took it into the dealer, thankfully it failed for the service manager, he said it "needed adjusting". They kept it for about 3 hrs and it was fine when I picked it up. No problems since.

Feels much better, not nearly as stiff and hard to operate. We'll see...... Minor issue for a new vehicle IMO.

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Hate to muddy the waters since it seems that everyone on this thread has problems with the tailgate swinging open, though some of you are having trouble with the door in both directions. Knocking on wood, I've never had trouble with the swing-open function; it's worked fine from day one. And that's a good thing because I probably use it 75% of the time I open the tailgate. All pickup trucks should have this feature. It makes climbing into the back much easier, for one thing. But I digress.

My problems were with the drop-down tailgate function. After unlatching, the tailgate would be stuck at only about an inch open — requiring a big yank to get it to come down. Initially the mechanic said there was nothing wrong with it, it was just sticking on the tonneau. But I knew that the problem predated the tonneau, so I opened the tonneau and showed him. He felt it immediately too, and went through the same routine I did. To open it in one pull you had to really yank it hard, something it was easy to forget to do. So you wound up opening it twice, not expecting that. We looked at all of the adjustment points and everything lined up well as far as either of us could see. He said hold on and left for a few minutes. Came back with a tube of white grease, which he applied liberally to the latch points on both sides. And that's all it took. The tailgate has worked first time, every time, ever since. That was the second week of July.

· Registered
32 Posts
Just wanted to add another name to the list. I noticed something wasn't right when attempting to swing the tailgate open a couple of weeks ago, and slowly the problem has gotten worse. As of this past weekend the latch to swing the tailgate open does not work at all. :( I'll contact the dealership today.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.