Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my wife and I just got an RTL on June 30th and we love everything so far except I wish that it had a locking tailgate and tailgate dampener. We have noticed that the tailgate sometimes opens fine and other times it sticks and doesn't want to open. After fighting with it, it finally opens. She's going to take it tomorrow to have it and a piece of loose trim looked at by the dealer. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello, my wife and I just got an RTL on June 30th and we love everything so far except I wish that it had a locking tailgate and tailgate dampener. We have noticed that the tailgate sometimes opens fine and other times it sticks and doesn't want to open. After fighting with it, it finally opens. She's going to take it tomorrow to have it and a piece of loose trim looked at by the dealer. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.
My BE is fine but there has been a few reports on here with people having the same issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, really? Well hopefully its an easy fix. This appears to be a huge upgrade over her Nissan Rogue and even though we've only had it a few hundred miles I am amazed at how quiet and how well it handles our crappy roads here in WV. It drives so much better than her Rogue and my Tundra, really no comparison.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
What's old is new again. If you search here for "tailgate", you'll see posts going back 10 years ago on tailgates on G1s that were difficult or impossible to drop and/or swing open. Most were curable with minor adjustments. The Ridgeline's dual-mode tailgate mechanism is incredibly complex - nothing short of an engineering masterpiece, but very particular and must be precisely adjusted to work properly.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Easy fix, just tweek that thingamabopper on the left...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup, that exactly what happened to me initially and at the end it failed. The Honda Mech show me how easy it will break especially when you put some force and including wear and tear.
Not sure why Honda don't spend extra effort to permanently replace those plastic with metal or something more reliable. I guess the Service department love to see you come back and hopefully can sell you more stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
Took my G2 to the dealership to have the tailgate looked at. Sticks when opening forward and down. Mechanic said it was caused by the tonneau cover, but I removed the cover and he felt it. After looking at it he put white grease on the latch points, which appeared to both of us to line up correctly. There's not much that is obviously adjustable there. Want to let a week or two go by and see whether it makes a difference.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine doesn't stick, but I have to make sure to depress it completely and pull hard. I prefer that over it being loose.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I got mine yesterday and I have the same sticky tailgate. They going to adjust once they receive my hard cover. I loving my Black Edition.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Mine doesn't stick, but I have to make sure to depress it completely and pull hard. I prefer that over it being loose.
Lifesaver1, I think what you described amounts to the same thing. The sticking point is literally right after the latch releases so I have to do the same thing pull harder than I expect. Since having the white grease applied a few days ago it does seem to be opening better. It hasn't stuck on me once over the last five openings.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Last night I went and used my tailgate and today I'm at working about to load up my BE and it won't open (both ways).

So my list of issues is:

1) drivers side, left air vent not opening
2) stop n' shake issue
3) tailgate not opening

Update:

One of my co-workers went out and started playing with the tailgate and lifted up on the right side and tried to open and it finally opened. Checking it out, it does appear that there is some play in the door on that side (vertical axis). Having it dropped off tomorrow morning - I'll report back on what they find on all of the above.

·
Super Moderator
2,899 Posts
Well. It hasn't been the week or two l said I wanted to wait, but putting the white grease on the latch points for the swing up/down tailgate seems to have fixed my sticking tailgate. Over the last 5 days I've opened the tailgate at least a dozen times without a hitch.

This is not likely to work for the issues with the swing out aspect of the tailgate (which I've had no problem with).

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Just developed the same issue with mine. I can open it down, but the latch when I squeeze it to swing the tailgate open is not engaging. I just had it to the store and have stuff in the trunk I can't get out. Oh well, back to the shop it goes.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
rxitrxit,

Can you reach under the tailgate when it's up to reach the trunk release, or while it's down?

Also those of you who have had it happen, can you try to "close" in the vertical direction, "harder" so as to properly close it and get the "horizontal" mechanism to release?

I know it can and does break, but occasionally I'll have it act as if it's broken and then reclosing it in the other direction will fix it.

I haven't really looked at the G2 enough to know, just offering what has worked with my G1

·
Registered
970 Posts
So my list of issues is:

1) drivers side, left air vent not opening
2) stop n' shake issue
3) tailgate not opening

Update:
One of my co-workers went out and started playing with the tailgate and lifted up on the right side and tried to open and it finally opened.
Picked up my MSM RTL-E today and my tailgate failed before I left the dealer! I did try your trick and it worked - just once. I will bring it to the local dealer next week. This is such a common issue it has to be getting Honda's attention by now.

The stop and shake issue was noticeable. For me at least, a hard stop only shows a small amount, a limo stop also very small, but with a "normal" stop it is more noticeable. Note I did not say worrisome or bothersome, just noticeable. I suspect I will get used to it as a normal characteristic very quickly.

Everything else on the vehicle is great so far. Android auto has failed to connect sometimes but changing the cable fixed it, at least so far. AA worked great for Spotify and Nav even in areas of poor signal. I only lost signal once but it had apparently cached enough nav data that I never lost nav.

I put about 180 miles on it coming over the Cascades from the dealer over somewhat winding roads along the river canyons. It handled it with grace in every way and a bit better than the G1 going the other way. I love the driver assists. Once you get used to them they are super, damn near magical. It is interesting that they are very clearly assists, not more than that, but used as such they are wonderful so far.

My impression is that it handles cornering on winding roads at a bit higher speeds than the G1, but maybe it is just me.

FYI, the only other defect I have found is the rear window gasket which stuck out a bit on the left upper side. One minute with a soft ended tool fixed that. Interesting that the only two defects were ones already mentioned on the forum! Of course, I may find more with time, but I looked pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Carsmack, I was able to reach down and open the trunk with the tailgate down. Thank you! I was able to get my beer out!

Unfortunately, everything I try to get it to swing open is not working. I tried your suggestion and found another to try pressing down on the top of the tailgate, no luck yet.

I won't be able to get it into the shop for about a week with my work schedule. Still love the truck, just a minor issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts