Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know is the newer tailgates with the camera integrated in the handle will fit on an 08? I don't like the way "the wart" looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. That seems easy enough. All the wires should already be in place. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

I would be surprised if the wires are already in place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there's an existing camera, so I'd just have to re-route the wires, no??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an RTX, so there's already a camera there, it's that big old tumor looking one, that I hate.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
RTX did not come with OEM backup camera in 2007. The RTL with Navigation had the option to add a backup camera.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think he has the oem accessory backup camera that Honda offered on RL's.. it looks like a computer mouse so swapping out the tailgate handles will look much nicer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is an RTL with navi. I don't know why I put X. Thanks for the info fellas

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
The only thing special about an RTX was it was ready to tow. It also had a good looking front Grille that should have been on RTL.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Does anyone know is the newer tailgates with the camera integrated in the handle will fit on an 08? I don't like the way "the wart" looks.
All you have to do is swap the tailgate handle for a 2009-2012 RTL with nav. model or a 2013-2014 model (all trims) handle and run the wires.

Picture1.jpg
That should look better than the black "wart" that's part of the OEM backup camera kit.

Ridgeline_RearViewCamera_m.jpg

However, it will be hard to find a Nimbus Gray Metallic tailgate handle with camera, given that color ended with your model year (2008). The closest color that may work is Sterling Gray Metallic, which was only available in 2009 when the camera was in the handle of the RTL with navigation trim. So, if you want to try that, look for Honda part number: 74810-SJC-A21ZE. BernardiParts sells that part for $36.05. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. I can just have the thing painted. I'm sure the tailgate will have to be repainted anyway, because of the hole that will be there.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I can just have the thing painted. I'm sure the tailgate will have to be repainted anyway, because of the hole that will be there
Good point. You may still want to purchase a handle that is close to the same shade of gray as your tailgate so you or your body-shop doesn't have to use as much paint to make it blend.

Let us know how it all turns out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The drama continues... in been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I finally got the replacement handle, and made the time to attempt the replacement. Turns out, the cameras are different. I'll have to stop by the dealership to chat with their parts guy, unless anyone here has the answer! I you tubed what goes into replacing the camera, and I'm not really sure that I want to deal with it. Seems that the wire is fed into the tailgate, then runs along side the truck bed, all the way to the unit. I'll have to do some more research on the replacement camera, I guess.. then the bigger issue is finding the time for the work.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The drama continues... in been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I finally got the replacement handle, and made the time to attempt the replacement. Turns out, the cameras are different. I'll have to stop by the dealership to chat with their parts guy, unless anyone here has the answer! I you tubed what goes into replacing the camera, and I'm not really sure that I want to deal with it. Seems that the wire is fed into the tailgate, then runs along side the truck bed, all the way to the unit. I'll have to do some more research on the replacement camera, I guess.. then the bigger issue is finding the time for the work.

Yes the cameras are different, but I have no idea about the difference in wiring. Maybe a review of the OEM accessory Rear Camera Attachment installation instructions (steps 56 through 62) will help you figure it out. Otherwise, I would either purchase a 2009-2014 Honda Ridgeline Service Manual to see how the 2009-2014 camera is wired or talk to a mechanic at a Honda dealership to see what advice they may have. Good luck.

OEM Accessory Rear Camera Wiring
OEM Accessory camera wiring.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts