Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I cheated! Ha. There was no access to the holes on the inside of tailgate. So we had to get creative with filling them. It involved wedging something on the inside in order to get the JB Weld to set. Then it was just typical body work from there.

I was hoping to use the existing camera wire, but that would've been way too easy.. I just had the camera installed when my radio was installed. Like I said, I cheated, and I'm glad I did. The installer had a hell of a time getting the dash kit to fit. I think he may have used a kit that wasn't for an 08 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
... I just had the camera installed when my radio was installed. ...
So you have a new radio/nav/head unit? What did you end up getting and how do you like it so far? Any pics?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I went with the pioneer AVH-2330. So far I don't really have any complaints, bug I haven't messed around with it to much. Apple car play takes a little getting used to.

I also went with the RF R2S-1X10 under the rear seat, until I can build a box that fits behind the rear seat. I've got a RF Punch 5002 pushing the sub.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ended up with a pioneer AVH-2330NEX, RF R2S1x10, and a RF Punch 5002 to power the sub.

This is my lazy option. I had one failed attempt at building a box, so this is where I’m at. When I find more time, I’ll break out the old tools, and build one.

I’ve posted these pics on other threads, but this is the final product.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ended up with a pioneer AVH-2330NEX, RF R2S1x10, and a RF Punch 5002 to power the sub.

This is my lazy option. I had one failed attempt at building a box, so this is where I’m at. When I find more time, I’ll break out the old tools, and build one.

I’ve posted these pics on other threads, but this is the final product.

Ebay has a custom kicker box to fit our ridge with 2x 10"s. I bought it years ago, best investment!!! Love that box.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’ve seen some of those under seat subs, I don’t really want to lose all that room. There are a couple of single sub enclosures that could do some damage with my amp. It’s tempting..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed a 2009+ type camera into a 2008 RTL with the factory NAV. Didn't want to butcher the tailgate to install the camera so I used the later model in the handle set up.

Had to disassemble the late model handle to have it painted the correct color as they come pre-painted only in 2009+ colors.

Used the OEM camera kit for a 2008, and then a 2009+ camera unit, which comes with the small bracket to mount it into the handle. The early version camera is totally different in size. The wiring had to be spliced together at the camera end as they use different methods of connecting. Simple color matching on the 4 wires are all that is needed. Red / Black are 12V to the camera and Yellow / White are camera output and output ground. The OEM NAV system camera input is a standard analog NTSC signal as are most camera agnostic stereos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Now that some time has passed, how is your mod. holding up?
I tried posting this on Tapatalk a few days ago, I guess it never did. The holes will probably need to be filled again, because of how they were filled in the first place, I assume. This time I'll have the entire tailgate painted, to make sure the entire tailgate color matches.
I regret going against my gut, I really wanted a kenwood HU, but went the cheaper route with that POS pioneer. the bluetooth on that unit is TERRIBLE, i've actually turned it off a long time ago and haven't used it since. The car play has a spotty connection, at best. Sometimes it'll connect to my phone, sometimes it won't, and most of the time getting the music to display on the HU screen is a lost cause, regardless of wether I'm using my music or Spotify. Also, I've started getting a "Amp overheat" error message, which seems to be a common issues with pioneers. The funny thing is that i will typically only get the error when its cold out. what sense does that make?!?!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I tried posting this on Tapatalk a few days ago, I guess it never did. The holes will probably need to be filled again, because of how they were filled in the first place, I assume. This time I'll have the entire tailgate painted, to make sure the entire tailgate color matches.
I regret going against my gut, I really wanted a kenwood HU, but went the cheaper route with that POS pioneer. the bluetooth on that unit is TERRIBLE, i've actually turned it off a long time ago and haven't used it since. The car play has a spotty connection, at best. Sometimes it'll connect to my phone, sometimes it won't, and most of the time getting the music to display on the HU screen is a lost cause, regardless of wether I'm using my music or Spotify. Also, I've started getting a "Amp overheat" error message, which seems to be a common issues with pioneers. The funny thing is that i will typically only get the error when its cold out. what sense does that make?!?!
For the Carplay connections issue, you might try using a few different cables. I have found that the cables connectors tend to wear out and not make a reliable connection particularly for data connections (rather than just charging). You could also clean your phones port. I use 90% rubbing alcohol on a toothpick to gently get out the accumulated crud from the port. I do construction for a living and I'm always amazed how much gunk gets packed in there.

Bottom line is that it MIGHT not be the head unit but rather the connection.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
For the Carplay connections issue, you might try using a few different cables. I have found that the cables connectors tend to wear out and not make a reliable connection particularly for data connections (rather than just charging). You could also clean your phones port. I use 90% rubbing alcohol on a toothpick to gently get out the accumulated crud from the port. I do construction for a living and I'm always amazed how much gunk gets packed in there.

Bottom line is that it MIGHT not be the head unit but rather the connection.
I've experienced the exact same thing with Android Auto. The USB connection is almost always good for charging but can be finicky for data and are easy to fail. I felt fortunate when I was in a rental that had Android Auto and there were two data-capable USB ports. Once one USB connection started behaving erratically, I was able to switch to the other and continue on my way guided by Google Maps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the advice! I’ve rotated cables already. I thought that might be the issue, at one point I picked up 4 cables for REAL cheap, but I’ve since gone back to all apple cables, and I’ve actually just upgraded to an iPhone Xmax and I still have the same issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on doing then tailgate handle camera mod for my 2012 RTL w/o nav. I have the everything but the camera. still can't figure out which later market camera will fit without mods. Also does anyone know how I can rout the cables inside the cabin without going through the bed panel? thinking undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
I'm planning on doing then tailgate handle camera mod for my 2012 RTL w/o nav. I have the everything but the camera. still can't figure out which later market camera will fit without mods. Also does anyone know how I can rout the cables inside the cabin without going through the bed panel? thinking undercarriage.
I would watch this Honda installation video for their OEM accessory review camera and ignore the sections that are specific to their OEM camera setup. For wire routing, I would start watching the video at 11:14 onward. Keep in mind that your rear-bumper is different than the one shown in this video, which shows a 2006-2008 model.

Additionally, here are the written instructions for the OEM accessory camera installation; as before, be mindful the instructions are for a 2008 model and your 2012 has a different rear-bumper, otherwise the other things depicted should be the same: https://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2008_Ridgeline_RearCameraAttachment(EXLwithNav)_AII36587.pdf

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You can absolutely route it underneath. It won’t be as clean as the video, but will serve its purpose. You MIGHT have to drill a hole to get the wires into the cabin.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts