Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
My 2018 RTL-E has not had any issues with the tailgate until now. My back up camera stopped working. I brought it to Honda and they fixed it by replacing the wiring harness. Camera works as it should now. When I got it back the bottom handle for the swing feature of the tailgate didn’t work. I brought it back and the dealer stated it had become unhooked in relation to the aftermarket lock I have on the truck (Pop N Lock Electronic and Key combo lock). I installed the Pop N Lock as soon as I bought the truck- no issues.

the Dealer fixed it reconnecting the handle. Later that day it broke again. I opened up the tailgate to see what was wrong.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,822 Posts
So, is the missing cable-end-anchor (whatever it's called) a Honda piece, a pop-n-lock piece, or a Honda piece that gets moved to the pop-n-lock mechanism?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you can see the cable is detached and the purple clip is missing.
From this thread I found the part no

Honda SNAP (VIOLET)
Part# 72139-SR0-A01
($3.99 Bernardi)

later on the above thread there was mention of a metal clip To replace the plastic. I can’t find it online. Anyone buy the metal version? Any links would be great...

also with looking at the function of the latch and cable, it seems the cable is too long. If I hold the cable in place and operate the bottom handle it will not move the mechanism enough to open. I can manually push it past that point and then it will operate.

is there an adjustment to shorten the cable length?

anyone have other ideas I should be looking at? I’m taking it back to the dealer on Thursday, but anticipating an argument as they were already talking about the Pop N Lock being a part of the issue.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you have slack. Bend this tab towards outside and it will put tension on the cable. I think some people found a kit with different clips at pep boys and it contained a beefier one that fits.

·
Registered
101 Posts
^ as stated above, I broke the purple/violet one when replacing it with the "better" one in the tailgate lock it. I went to pepboys and bought a box of random assorted ones, and one of them fit perfectly. It's yellow I believe and beefier than the honda one.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have slack. Bend this tab towards outside and it will put tension on the cable. I think some people found a kit with different clips at pep boys and it contained a beefier one that fits.
Yes, I think that should work, but I’m reluctant to bend it. I worry it’s masking another problem that will get worse..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll go check the local Auto stores for the doorman clips.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, I think that should work, but I’m reluctant to bend it. I worry it’s masking another problem that will get worse..
Had the same problem.

Stealership said pop & lock voided warranty so any fix was going to be out pocket. $180 was quote. Went to parts counter and paid $10 for two purple clips. Another member posted how their shop just bend that part back to compensate for slack.

I will admit the first time I broke the purple tab. It was locked and I forgot. I gorilla pulled the side gate handle and heard the loud snap. If you think about it. The purple tab and were the yellow retentions sit. That’s where the force is and causes the metal to bend forward when heavy pressure is applied. After I bend that part back. Haven’t had any slack and no issues.

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
One good thing about the factory tailgate lock on the 2020 is that when the tailgate is locked, the handle is in "neutral" rather than blocked. If you pull the handle too hard with the Honda accessory or aftermarket locks, things break. If you pull the handle on the 2020 when the tailgate is locked, nothing happens.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For those that can’t get cancer shipped from Pep boys. Amazon will ship it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off, thank you to everyone who responded and helped me out.
Local stores did not carry the Doorman parts. I went back to the dealer and they put a new Honda purple clip in for free. I asked the service tech about the slack in the cable. He informed me Honda had changed the design from the original cable. This cable has 1 slot in it to attach to the bracket, the older style cable had 3 slots to adjust tension. Nothing they could do.

I took 17 Sport’s advice and bent the bracket about 4-5 degrees back. After doing this the handle had more tension to it and operates the latch much smoother. The swing gate now opens before the handle bottoms out in its range of motion. My swing gate has never opened as smoothly as it does now.

I installed the Pop N Lock as soon as I bought the truck. Now I’m wondering if I had it parked locked and someplace and someone tried to get into it. I have a Tonneau cover on, so an opportunist may have been pulling on it while locked.

again thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts