Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2007 Ridgeline, and I absolutely cannot get the tailgate to open on this truck. It won't open down flat, and it won't swing open either. I managed (with a lot of difficulty) to get the tonneau cover off, but since the thing won't swing open, I have no way to take the inside panel off of the tailgate to expose the latch. I have pulled, pounded and pried, but this thing is locked tight. I have scoured the internet for a solution, but nobody has a tip on how to get it open when it is jammed shut in BOTH directions. There are a couple of Youtube videos, but they all show the tailgate open when they are removing the panel. Most posts say, "take it to the dealer." Well, I'd like to know how the dealer plans to get the thing open. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is usually because the tailgate is not fully closed. Push on it and make sure it's closed properly and then try and open it using the center handle.
Good luck.
If this does not work, another possibility is that one of the plastic connectors has possibly broken, but anyways, you will need to take the cover off to get to the mechanism to check it out.

This is from a previous thread on how to possibly get the tailgate open: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/tailgate-wont-open-in-flip-or-swing-mode-not-tsb-related.33473/#post-482544

Good luck also,

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello. I have a 2007 Ridgeline, and I absolutely cannot get the tailgate to open on this truck. It won't open down flat, and it won't swing open either. I managed (with a lot of difficulty) to get the tonneau cover off, but since the thing won't swing open, I have no way to take the inside panel off of the tailgate to expose the latch. I have pulled, pounded and pried, but this thing is locked tight. I have scoured the internet for a solution, but nobody has a tip on how to get it open when it is jammed shut in BOTH directions. There are a couple of Youtube videos, but they all show the tailgate open when they are removing the panel. Most posts say, "take it to the dealer." Well, I'd like to know how the dealer plans to get the thing open. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!
Thanks to everyone who sent advice. I received a wonderful link with tail gate over-ride instructions, and I got it open! I am very appreciative of your help. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Is it working normally now? Didja figure out what happened?
Per my PM exchange with him, one of his purple locking clips for an actuation rod inside the tailgate was either disconnected or broken (not sure which) but he got it working again thanks to the ROC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts