Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My swing out tailgate worked about 5 times after I drove it off the lot, then never again. Autonation Honda 104 is waiting on the "official" fix from Honda which doesn't seem exactly expedient. I know there are those on this forum that have fixed their own - something about "shortening a pin". Can anyone provide a procedure and tools needed for a moderately handy guy? My entire family is tired of leaning over the tailgate to get groceries out of the thing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I brought it to the dealer, they had it fixed in about an hour. I believe it was an adjustment, not a replacement part. O believe they said it took as long as I'd did because they had to consult with someone , but that it was an easy fix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine also failed shortly after purchase. Dealer ordered parts - took about two days to ship. Replaced P/N 74870-T6Z-A01,74852-T6Z-A01, 74853-T6Z-A01. So far seems to be working as promised.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
My swing out tailgate worked about 5 times after I drove it off the lot, then never again. Autonation Honda 104 is waiting on the "official" fix from Honda which doesn't seem exactly expedient. I know there are those on this forum that have fixed their own - something about "shortening a pin". Can anyone provide a procedure and tools needed for a moderately handy guy? My entire family is tired of leaning over the tailgate to get groceries out of the thing.
The fix is here... http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...2729-200-mile-review-update-bugs-fixes-3.html

BillmanMotion figured it out!

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
That's the dealership where I bought my Ridgeline. Would have gone to Ralph Schomp but they are nearly a one hour drive across town and Autonation Honda 104 is literally 5 minutes from my house. At least they will know how to fix it if/when my tailgate acts up.:grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm holding my breath---so far so good

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm hoping they got it figured out in the later vin numbers.

Ours has been perfect in both directions probably 20-30 times each.

Definitely interested in what it takes to get these guys fixed up and if they are all going to be a failure waiting to happen until modified or has replacement parts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Unless the dealer is installing an UPDATED part number, they are taking a stab in the dark at fixing it. Putting the same part back in thinking its bad is not a fix. If the metal pawl rounds off the plastic white rod within the latch assembly, then yes a new latch will fix it. HOWEVER, if they don't fix the underlying problem by shortening the rod to properly position the pawl, it will round off the plastic white rod in the new latch as well. Corey337 this could be your problem.

There is a design flaw in the tailgate linkage. The parts are not just becoming inoperable or broken.

My dealer is currently using my pic as a guide for the techs to fix the problem.

Last time I checked, Honda was aware of the problem and offered no parts or solutions. I'll get us an update tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never expected to have tailgate issues since Hondas been using that design since gen1. I purchased the RTL trim because I expected the software and sensors to have the most issues in early production.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Update:

Honda has a new shorter rod to fix the problem. In the tsb, it explains about the pawl alignment.

The fix by Honda is literally identical to what I posted, even the description.

So whether you shorten yours or get a new rod, the solutions are identical for a permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I never expected to have tailgate issues since Hondas been using that design since gen1. I purchased the RTL trim because I expected the software and sensors to have the most issues in early production.
It sounds like there was a whole new set of engineers working on the new Ridgeline as opposed to the old Ridgeline. If that is the case, it would make sense that they could inadvertently carry over some known issues (tailgate had similar problems in old Ridgeline, though not to the same extent, seemingly). They obviously lost a few good ideas from the original, but that was likely due to using Pilot parts to cut costs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Update:

Honda has a new shorter rod to fix the problem. In the tsb, it explains about the pawl alignment.

The fix by Honda is literally identical to what I posted, even the description.

So whether you shorten yours or get a new rod, the solutions are identical for a permanent fix.
Do you happen to have that TSB number? My dealer hasn't heard a thing about this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine was repaired today. I thought the info in the picture might be helpful to others.
I wanted to update everyone on this. I found after the repair I was still having a issue unless I grabbed the release handle as far to the right as possible. If I did this it worked every time. If I tried to use it with my hand all the way to the left it would fail at times. What the issue ended up being was the tailgate was catching on the striker. It was making a noticeable scrape on the striker. Once the technician adjusted the tailgate to alleviate the striker scraping everything worked correctly. I believe both the repairs done and the adjustment were the needed to completely fix my issue. Jerry Damson’s Service Department worked closely with me having me demonstrate the issues after the first repair as well as having me test the tailgate during the adjustment. They also were on with Honda support while I was there. The technician did confirm the parts used in the initial repair incorporated a shorter rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wanted to update everyone on this. I found after the repair I was still having a issue unless I grabbed the release handle as far to the right as possible. If I did this it worked every time. If I tried to use it with my hand all the way to the left it would fail at times. What the issue ended up being was the tailgate was catching on the striker. It was making a noticeable scrape on the striker. Once the technician adjusted the tailgate to alleviate the striker scraping everything worked correctly. I believe both the repairs done and the adjustment were needed to completely fix my issue. Jerry Damson’s Service Department worked closely with me having me demonstrate the issues after the first repair as well as having me test the tailgate during the adjustment. They also were on with Honda support while I was there. The technician did confirm the parts used in the initial repair incorporated a shorter rod.
Picture showing where the contact on the striker was.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts