Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Gen1 had tailgate latch issues? News to me. I had one of the first ones off the line, and NEVER had a problem with it. In fact, the only thing I had to replace other than normal wear items was the pulley for the rear folding seats; one of the plastic ones cracked after 9 years, and I replaced both with a metal one.

It sounds like there was a whole new set of engineers working on the new Ridgeline as opposed to the old Ridgeline. If that is the case, it would make sense that they could inadvertently carry over some known issues (tailgate had similar problems in old Ridgeline, though not to the same extent, seemingly). They obviously lost a few good ideas from the original, but that was likely due to using Pilot parts to cut costs.

·
Super Moderator
4,717 Posts
Gen1 had tailgate latch issues? News to me. I had one of the first ones off the line, and NEVER had a problem with it. In fact, the only thing I had to replace other than normal wear items was the pulley for the rear folding seats; one of the plastic ones cracked after 9 years, and I replaced both with a metal one.
There were some complaints of the handle feeling "squishy" and the tailgate would not open. I had that happen a couple of times on my 2008, but not severe enough to take it in for repair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I contacted my dealer today and showed them the fix I found on here. They told me that's the same thing Honda recommend and was done to my truck. Since I had the fix already and it still gets stuck, what should I do next?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fixed! Ignore! Tailgate won't open in gate mode

Ignore thread. Found the earlier thread discussing this.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Unfortunately it's relatively common, but not hard to fix. I believe at least one person fixed it himself. i don't recall anyone saying they had a repeat after it was fixed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I believe all they did was to take the tailgate plastic off and find the broken clip and go down to the autoparts store for a .50 piece. Clip it on and done.

At least that's how I remember it going. YMMV

Steve

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
May be a different issue/fix, nut look for a thread by BillmanMotion, called something like "200-mile bug report".

Apparently, some Ridgelines have an actuator rod in the tailgate that is a little too long. Should be fixed under warranty, but BillmanMotion fixed his by putting a couple bends in the rod.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Paying it forward here for anyone who doesn't want to go to their dealer to for the TSB, or didn't know about it like me!

This past weekend I went to open the swing gate after shopping to find that the handle pulled but wouldn't unlatch! Gate worked fine in drop down mode. I went home, disassembled the gate and could clearly SEE the problem, but didn't know how to solve it. A quick trip to the forum with the expectation that I wasn't alone turned fruitful when I found a post from Billman. He's been helping us for years with S2000s and now I'm glad he owns a Ridgeline too.

To bend mine, I left the rod in the truck attached at the end you can't see in the picture. detached on the end you can see, put a 10MM deep well socket over the bolt nearby and bent the rod around the socket with channel lock pliers. It's a bit of trial and error until you get the new length just right. Just temporarily re-attached it and try the mechanism. You'll know when you get it right.

The TSB has some good pictures, but in case anyone doesn't see them I'll put my annotated picture here also. Basically, you're bending the rod to make it a little shorter. How much shorter? Just enough to move the while pawl/tab/anvil over so the swing gate mechanism grabs it and unlocks. See A,B,and C in my picture. Before bending the rod when your gate isn't working, the unlock mechanism hits the corner of the pawl/tab/anvil and slips AROUND it, as opposed to engaging it to unlock the latch.

Once you see it with your own eyes, it all makes sense. After fixing this, my whole tailgate is more crisp. I think its now properly engaging the latches as well because when I open the gate, it 'pops' open a hair now too, like we'd expect it to. Before it would unlatch, but not really move unless I pulled it down or open.

Thanks Bill!

-Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tailgate swing latch problems

So I’ve got a ‘17 RTL-T and am having problems with the tailgate swing open latch. It seems to only work 25% of the time. I have replaced the tailgate main handle with the Honda locking assy.
Any advice/suggestions? Help please, really don’t want to take it to the stealership!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts