Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first encountered this problem mid-June (my 07 Ridge with 118k on it). I took apart the tailgate and figured out the problem. Honda wanted $85 for the part and $250 total to fix it. I didn't like that so kept thinking about it until recently. A $1.49 small hose clamp & about 30 minutes of my time and the tail gate swings open again, a feature I use very often. I hope it holds as taking apart the tailgate plastic top piece is a pia and takes longer than the fix.

I hope this helps if anyone else has this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice job. If it doesn't hold, would it hold better if the clamp were coated with Goop ? To hold the clamp in place...

·
Registered
484 Posts
What caused the piece to break? I had to repair mine much the same way ( I used industrial ty-raps) after I slammed my gate shut......bad day, don't ask LOL.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Nice......

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
I first encountered this problem mid-June (my 07 Ridge with 118k on it). I took apart the tailgate and figured out the problem. Honda wanted $85 for the part and $250 total to fix it. I didn't like that so kept thinking about it until recently. A $1.49 small hose clamp & about 30 minutes of my time and the tail gate swings open again, a feature I use very often. I hope it holds as taking apart the tailgate plastic top piece is a pia and takes longer than the fix.

I hope this helps if anyone else has this issue.
I paid six bucks for the purple / Lilac (Do not flame me for knowing the color lilac :act047:) clip. Took five minutes to replace the clip, eight minutes to reassemble the tailgate parts and I have been good since (I was frustrated and apparently slammed the tailgate closed too hard). Stealerships charge too damn much for work like this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments....I thought about using tie wraps at first, but didn't think it would stay as the constant movement of metal rubbing on the tie wrap would sever or compromise it. That's why I used the mini hose clamp

I would never have thought to order just the "lilac" part....Nothing actually broke, the cable just would not stay put in the "lilac" colored plastic piece. That's what triggers the swing door to open.

For me, taking the plastic cover off was harder than the rest as I worried about breaking one or more of those plastic clips.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well it happened to me.

Grabbed the gate and nothing happened. Pulled harder, unlocked the truck to check if I enabled a secret factory option and then said I better come here.

I looked at the official how too and didn't like the looks of the pry-bar method.

I popped the top trim off, undid the torx screws on the cover of the gate and slide a piece of plastic pipe in to spread it. The arm snapped right back into the lilac clip and the gate popped right open.

Before closing it all up I gave that part a touch of safety wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the intermittent version of this on my '08 when the weather turned cold. (maybe a factor, maybe not) The tailgate would always drop, but sometimes not swing. Slamming it or driving it would eventually fix it temporarily.

Turned out to be a very easy fix. I re-lubricated everything in the tailgate that moves. Paid special attention to the rods that go out to the latches. If they don't fully return after operating the drop handle, it can't swing.

I used a spray lithium grease that I had handy. I bet you can get by with WD40 or spray silicone just as well. Getting the covers off and on is most of the job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok. I took apart the tailgate and it seems that none of the colored clips were broken. When I press the lever for the swing mode it seems that something is not making the white part in the picture (right side) go all the way down. It's like nothing is triggering that to move down. What else could it be? I spent a few hours trying to figure it out and gave up. Just a question. Is that white part half way down the bracket? Mine seems to be higher than this pic. I'm hoping someone can help. Just a note I borrowed this pic from a previous post. Thanks

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Carburetor

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,014 Posts
Well it happened to me.

Grabbed the gate and nothing happened. Pulled harder, unlocked the truck to check if I enabled a secret factory option and then said I better come here.

I looked at the official how too and didn't like the looks of the pry-bar method.

I popped the top trim off, undid the torx screws on the cover of the gate and slide a piece of plastic pipe in to spread it. The arm snapped right back into the lilac clip and the gate popped right open.

Before closing it all up I gave that part a touch of safety wire.
I am impressed with your safety wire wrap job--so neat and tidy!! Wish I could make wire wrap like that. Mine are much sloppier.

Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts