Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Takata airbag inflator recall for the 2006-2014 Ridgeline

308K views 2K replies 209 participants last post by  longboat 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
#2 Ā·
Ford is recalling 400k ford rangers for airbag issues also.
I posted it somewhere in another section, misc area maybe.

#3 Ā·
Great. Honda can't even perform a simple oil change without screwing my Ridgeline up. Now this!
Have you been living under a rock for the past year? Takata made millions of defective airbags, not just for Honda - for pretty much every major car brand. It's been front-page news.

Chip H.

#5 Ā· (Edited)
Nice. So, I'm expected to drive a vehicle with airbags that are now known to be defective and could impale me with shrapnel until Honda can get around to fixing it later this year? Great. Suddenly, the desire to sell my '14 just increased a bit. :)

Edit: So much for that. If I sold or traded my '14 right now, the dealer may not be able to sell it until the end of Summer. There goes the value. I swear - if this prevents me from trading/selling, it's gonna hit the fan.

#7 Ā·
Nice. So, I'm expected to drive a vehicle with airbags that are now known to be defective and could impale me with shrapnel until Honda can get around to fixing it later this year? Great. Suddenly, the desire to sell my '14 just increased a bit. :)
Authorized Honda and Acura dealerships will make appropriate repairs at no charge to the customer. If an owner requests alternative transportation while awaiting repair, while the repair is in progress, or if there is a delay in repairing an affected vehicle, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a free loaner or rental vehicle.

Time to do some test driving :wink:

Honda Airbag Info

#6 Ā· (Edited)
Today I sent my 2014 SE into the Dealer for the B1 service at 20K miles and 5% on the Mx Minder.
B1 is Oil Change, Tire Rotation and I expected to be offered Rear Diff service. They called to say they were finished and when I went to pick up the RL the bill showed only the oil change. I asked if the tire rotation had been done and was told 'Oh Sorry I don't know how we missed that'. Let us do it for you now for no additional charge. I asked what was the recommended mileage for the Rear Diff service and was told I'm good up to 30K miles and should do it next time. They also were charging me for the oil filter and washer even though I had provided my own Honda A01 filter and washer. They advised there was a recall for my '14 RL and printed the following at my request...

Attachments

Reactions: skelley521
#8 Ā·
Just called Honda American and was told the VIN#'s won't be released until March.... Let's see all VIN#'s should be in a Data Base at time of MFG... it takes until March to retrieve Data Base info....

Reactions: don1968
#59 Ā·
Re: 2007 - 2014 Ridgeline airbag recall...

The 2006 was part of a previous recall, so at this point in time it appears that EVERY first generation Ridgeline is subject to recall:
I went on honda.com and the notice about the airbag, if I read it right, implies that honda would provide alternate transportation . If the parts aren't available until the fall, are they indicating we should stop driving our ridgelines and contact the dealer for a loaner car? I can't believe they would provide a loaner for six months????

#15 Ā· (Edited)
Well, ****. Looks like I and others are facing the following:

1) Hope that come March my VIN won't be on the list and I can sell/trade at that time. I am afraid there won't be any exceptions, but if there are then that might help the value of used Ridgelines that aren't affected by this recall.

2) Sell private party and hope the buyer doesn't care about or is unaware of the recall - sooner rather than later.

3) Assuming my vehicle will be on the list, wait until late Summer to sell/trade at which time I risk rapid depreciation once the '17s appear.

At this point, I'm actually hoping the second generation Ridgeline gets delayed until later this year! (My apologies in advance to those who are planning to buy a G2.)

As an aside, can any mods correct thread titles? The missing "g" in "Airbag" is tweaking my OCD.

As another aside, what's with the censoring on this forum - it it ran by a bunch of holy rollers like my local Whataburgers and Dairy Queens?

#17 Ā·
Well, ****. Looks like I and others are facing the following:

1) Hope that come March my VIN won't be on the list and I can sell/trade at that time. I am afraid there won't be any exceptions, but if there are then that might help the value of used Ridgelines that aren't affected by this recall.

2) Sell private party and hope the buyer doesn't care about or is unaware of the recall - sooner rather than later.

3) Assuming my vehicle will be on the list, wait until late Summer to sell/trade at which time I risk rapid depreciation once the '17s appear.

At this point, I'm actually hoping the second generation Ridgeline gets delayed until later this year! (My apologies in advance to those who are planning to buy a G2.)

As an aside, can any mods correct thread titles? The missing "g" in "Airbag" is tweaking my OCD.
Thread name fixed.

As for selling your G1 Ridgeline... beware of what you do. I understand CarFAX and other similar services are in the process of putting a warning on the reports. If you knowingly sell a car with a defective airbag you might be liable if something bad happens.

This is a major deal.

#16 Ā·

Awesome, free repair ;)

I have a Kia Optima that just got a recall this summer, but it's just for additional undercoating, go figure.

#23 Ā·
I heard there were some dealers that would do that on the original recall if the owner signed a waiver, but I think I heard they stopped doing that because it may be illegal to disable a safety device.

Personally I would much rather keep the airbag enabled and take my chances in the event of a crash. Yes, there have been about 10 people killed worldwide by airbag shards I bet there are a lot more than 10 people that are still alive because the airbag worked properly.

I drive a 2014 so I'm recalled as well. I'm not worried about the airbag, but I am concerned that I'm "stuck" with it for the foreseeable future. Most dealers don't want it, and I wouldn't sell it to a private party unless they signed a waiver... and I doubt many would be interested in signing it unless I was selling dirt cheap (which I'm not going to do).

#22 Ā·
Jeeesus...glad I dumped my RL when I did. Now I don't have to add or worry about this latest recall...or crawling under my truck to check my radiator fittings or check my spark plug torque or feel my carpets after a heavy rain or...well you get the idea...;act028:

#32 Ā·
No the Buick dealer has no involvement. Honda subscribes to Owner Followup Services and is notified of current registered owners of vehicles subject to safety recalls. So you will eventually receive a letter from Honda notifying you to schedule the airbag module replacement at the Honda dealer of your choice.

#48 Ā· (Edited)
I just went to see my dealer about doing exactly this but there is no information or availability for the replacement parts to allow actually scheduling the work. They showed me a notice they have received indicating it could be up to 9 months for repair part availability. Obviously a huge problem for anyone planning on trading. Same for dealers too.

I'm upset, but not with my dealer. I've had nothing but excellent relationship with them for over 25 years. Takata is the culprit here and I have serious questions about whether they will stay in business.

I also wonder if Honda will be seeking to use another supplier for the replacements, and if so, if such supplier will need to design and manufacture the new replacement products...........hence the long estimated repair time.

edit: According to Honda's press release on this, they will, in fact, be using non-Takata replacements in this recall.

#36 Ā·
After getting my 2nd letter from Honda about the airbag issue, I called my local dealership on a Wednesday, set an appointment for Friday and had it changed out in about three hours.

#37 Ā·

Any indication as to what identifying characteristic of the models will determine that it will become part of the recall?

#50 Ā·

Any indication as to what identifying characteristic of the models will determine that it will become part of the recall?
I may be wrong, but I believe ALL models will be recalled. The previous partial recall was to address what was determined to be "most critical" first. (Geography-humidity, and model year)

We don't have specific detail as to the serialization/configuration/process variations for these Takata airbags, but my guess is that they will ALL be replaced. Even if there were some means of determining some portion of the population being "OK", the PR nightmare of not replacing all of them is ruling the decision making at this point; especially given the 'foggy' nature of the problem & the uncertainty therein. I suspect that some key elements of materials/process control is changed with these replacement bags to resolve the latent issues present in the existing population.

#38 Ā·

Since the RL had basically no changes in the 9 year run. I'm really surprised that so many are shocked that ultimately all RL's will be recalled. I'm certain that they didn't re-engineer the steering wheel airbag inflator location in the '09 MY refresh.

To me the more disappointing fact is the replacement airbag inflator will most likely need to be replaced again, because these replacement inflators are the exact same design.

#41 Ā·
Yep, that just shows the right doesn't know what the left is doing, called Honda America yesterday and was told VIN#'s would not be available until March...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.