Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2064 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Takata filed bankruptcy. Hopefully next is the public hanging of all those involved.

·
Registered
308 Posts
10,000,000+ airbags replaced by Honda. That number swamps all of the other numbers for the remainder of the auto makers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bankrupt-air-bag-maker-takata-means-to-keep-limping-along-1498477869
I think those so called journalists misinformed people saying "Defective Airbags" when it is the trigger mechanism which is only replaced: Takata airbag inflators

I stopped today 7/10/2017 to make an appointment to have it fixed (after many personal reminders from Honda); but was surprised when they took the RL right away, and did replace both mechanisms (Driver/Passenger) in less than 1 hour.

I was under the impression it was only the driver side... but they did both, and I am not complaining...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I got my original letter for the left side in about February of 2015. In November I got another saying they are still waiting for parts. In February of 2016 I got another letter saying the right side was being recalled too, but they are waiting for parts.

In August of 2016 I stopped at the dealer and asked, saying I was thinking about trading it in, but wanted recall stuff cleared up first. The service writer looked it up and said only the left side needed to be done and they would order the parts. I got a call the next day and booked it for four days later. When I picked it up the work order said both sides were done. So maybe they have to look at a date code or serial number on the actuators themselves?

Anyway, I traded it on the G2 a few months later.

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
First post lol

can i still take my car in to get the airbags fix? im a little late. I have the letters they sent me.
Welcome to the ROC.

The simple answer is yes - recalls don't expire.

The longer you wait, the more liability you face in terms of both safety and from a legal standpoint. You've obviously been notified of a potentially dangerous safety defect. If you delay or avoid repairs, you could be killed. If you are injured and have been notified, the manufacturer can reduce their liability by showing evidence that you were notified, but never brought the vehicle in.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
and transfer with ownership. If you have a mid/late 60's GM with a small block you can still get the engine mount cables installed. Pinto? I'm not sure. They'll still probably throw a match to them >:)

Even with all the Takata crap, Ford still holds the record for most recalled vehicles having to deal with the park pin issue where the shifter would drop into reverse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.

The longer you wait, the more liability you face in terms of both safety and from a legal standpoint. You've obviously been notified of a potentially dangerous safety defect. If you delay or avoid repairs, you could be killed. If you are injured and have been notified, the manufacturer can reduce their liability by showing evidence that you were notified, but never brought the vehicle in.
In Canada I just received the recall notice for the passenger side air bag yesterday, January 24 2018.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Didn't Takata just recently add more cars to the recall list? Consumer Reports summary says 37 million vehicles "in the US", 19 auto makers, 49.5 million inflators. Consumer Reports listing isn't even complete. I notice they don't list Hyundai or Kia, yet both list Takata airbag recalls on their own websites.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I just got a call that the airbag is in for our 2010 Ford Fusion run around after being in a rental for 4 months. I haven't got any notice for pax bag in '14 Ridgeline, but would be happy to stay in a rental for a few more months. Already saved the '14 Ridgeline from about 15,000 miles to rentals for its driver side airbag.

Edit:-
Found this online after VIN search...

Sep 27,2018
Manufacturer Recall NumberH2H
NHTSA Recall Number18V-662
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
Summary
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2010-2011 Element and 2010-2014 Ridgeline vehicles. The passenger frontal airbag inflator in your vehicle may rupture when deploying during a crash. The potential for such ruptures may occur in some of the subject airbag inflators after several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity. Honda suggests that you avoid having a passenger sit in the front passenger's seat until the recall repair has been performed.

Safety Risk
In the event of a passenger frontal airbag inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, potentially resulting in injury to vehicle occupants. The risk of such an occurrence increases over time. It is imperative you schedule an appointment with an authorized Honda dealer now to avoid this condition in the future.

Remedy
Please call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Your dealer will replace the passenger's front airbag inflator with an inflator of a different design, free of charge. For additional information and assistance in locating a Honda dealer, please visit www.recalls.honda.com or contact American Honda’s Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138. Honda’s number for this recall is H2H.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,043 Posts
Last weekend I received a recall for the passenger airbag on my 14. I'm a bit surprised they hadn't figured out the air bag issues before my 14 was made. . .

Obviously not and it looks like I have some company here . . .

Now to find a local dealer that is actually competent. It's like playing Russian roulette.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Letter arrived yesterday for Passenger Airbag recall for 2010 - 2014 Ridgeline. Dealer cant get it done for a week. Asked for a loaner vehicle and was declined. Dealer said call Honda, and they refused a rental but said nobody should ride in the front pax seat. No biggie just looking for a change for a few days.

(If pic is too small to read, download and enlarge.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
They are not as "quick" with the rentals these days. Back over a year ago I just heard about the recall (on this forum) and showed up at my local dealer where they said let us check it out. About a half hour later they had an Enterprise Suburban on its way to pick me up from this dealer. I had it for about 6 weeks before they got the parts to get me going again in my 08 RTL.

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
Letter arrived yesterday for Passenger Airbag recall for 2014 Ridgeline. Dealer cant get it done for a week. Asked for a loaner vehicle and was declined. Dealer said call Honda, and they refused a rental but said nobody should ride in the front pax seat. No biggie just looking for a change for a few days.
"Per long standing company policy, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a loaner or rental vehicle to registered owners of vehicles affected by a Takata airbag inflator recall during the recall repair or longer if there is any repair delay." - Frequently Asked Questions <span>Updated July 27, 2018</span> | Honda Airbag Info (That website belongs to American Honda Motor Co., Inc.)

"Key Facts for Owners of Unrepaired Vehicles
FREE rental car available to the vehicle owner for the day of the recall repair or longer if a replacement part is temporarily unavailable.

Dealer Repair & Rental Policy, and Support
Authorized Honda and Acura dealerships will make appropriate repairs for free – there is no cost to the customer. If an owner requests alternative transportation for the day of the recall repair or longer if a replacement part is temporarily unavailable, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a free loaner or rental vehicle.

Dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to registered owners of vehicles for the day of the recall repairs without seeking pre-approval from Honda."
- http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airbag-inflator-recall-fact-sheet/ (Current as of October 26, 2018)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I had a rental for the Ridgeline for about 8 months. I will be returning a rental today to Ford for a driver airbag after 3 months. They are not to quick to give out rentals/loaners for the pax airbag. It looks like Honda waited to put out this latest recall until replacement part are readily available.
I found if I cleaned the rental inside and out I could return them for replacements weekly. This meant no work for the rental co employees except for a update to the rental agreement on the computer.

I brought the cars back cleaner than when I picked them up. I have driven multiple cars over the last couple of years from loaded Suburbans to a bare bones Civic that got me great mileage on a long trip. The Chevy Impala Premier goes back today. Great car, I just wouldn't buy one.
My neighbor asked if i'm in the car business
:grin:

2041 - 2060 of 2064 Posts