Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

761 - 780 of 2064 Posts

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Have seen a couple of other forums with postings saying air bag components would be at the dealerships next week. Can anyone confirm? Missing my truck!! Never thought much of the Mickey Mouse rear view camera in my '13 RTL, but sure do miss it when the rental has no back up cam.

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
Personally, I'd be fine counting on my seatbelt only (w/o airbag) to keep me relatively save, as opposed to this Russian Roulette game with Takata. But you know the safety Nazis probably wouldn't hear of temporarily removing the air-bag requirement, despite having gotten along without them for decades. We'd still be getting by w/o them if they weren't invented, if you can think about it that way.

I'm just sayin' .... a young person's death was avoidable. I say let the chips fall where they may regarding "risks" of not having that airbag in place at all (at least temporarily).
Toyota and the NHTSA agree with you - at least for passenger airbags. The NHTSA has allowed Toyota to disable these airbags until parts become available provided they recommend that no one sits in the passenger seat and if they do make sure they wear a seat belt.

Everything You Need to Know About the Takata Airbag Recall - Consumer Reports News

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
Have seen a couple of other forums with postings saying air bag components would be at the dealerships next week. Can anyone confirm? Missing my truck!! Never thought much of the Mickey Mouse rear view camera in my '13 RTL, but sure do miss it when the rental has no back up cam.
That's exactly when Honda said they'd start arriving based on information they filed with the NHTSA weeks ago. Keep in mind they're starting with 2001 year models in 14, high-humidity areas. The newer the model and the lower the humidity the later the repair will occur. There are lots of 2001-2005 year model vehicles to be repaired before repairs can start on 2006-2014 Ridgelines.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Makes you wonder whether some thoughtful regulator wouldn't just propose "grounding" all vehicles that have these airbags. If these were "public transportion" vehicles of any kind, you can imagine how fast they'd be removed from service.

How much is one (or more) life worth?

Personally, I'd be fine counting on my seatbelt only (w/o airbag) to keep me relatively save, as opposed to this Russian Roulette game with Takata. But you know the safety Nazis probably wouldn't hear of temporarily removing the air-bag requirement, despite having gotten along without them for decades. We'd still be getting by w/o them if they weren't invented, if you can think about it that way.

I'm just sayin' .... a young person's death was avoidable. I say let the chips fall where they may regarding "risks" of not having that airbag in place at all (at least temporarily).

I'm OK with deactivating the airbag. Hell they are proven dangerous. I would not debate the value of a life. Leave that to the insurance bozos. But aren't we talking about many "millions" of vehicles in daily use from varied manufacturers? What will these owners do for transportation if their rides are grounded? Kids don't go to school. Mom's and dads don't go to work. People die that can't get to the emergency room. Commerce related to the grounded vehicles dries up. I think the cost would be measured in the many many Billions $$.

The Civic noted is 15 years old and was recalled many years ago. With the new round, as far as I can see, Honda has done just about the best possible alternative, allowing affected owners to voluntarily ground their vehicles and obtain a compensatory ride of some sort. I'd be more worried if I was Ford.

There is an argument that what you don't know can and will harm you in this case. But I don't see any reasonable way to implement it. Place cops on every corner...flag down all old Civics and confiscate them? Might as well also round up every motorcycle rider without a helmet since they have decided to take their own life into their own hands and the law allows it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Although I enjoy riding motorcycles and have owned several, I think I'd rather drive a passenger vehicle equipped with a defective Takata inflator where the probability of death or serious injury is concerned. :|
Probability-wise, you may be right. The motorcycle fatality rate (per mile ridden) is somewhere in the range of 29 - 33x as high as a 'car' (including pickups, etc), depending upon precisely which source you choose to get the digested data from. All the more reason I need to get a loaner from Honda, I suppose.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Called my local Honda dealer to feel them out on the airbag issue. The girl that talked to me said she would be happy to set me up over the phone with an Enterprise rental. She said they were allowing $35.00 a day, the same amount others have reported here. I asked if I could get on their waiting list when the airbag parts are in, she said there was no need, Honda will send out a second recall letter when parts arrive.
I haven't decided what I will do yet, my drive to work is only 1 mile one way. I know I could still have an accident, but I think I will take my chances. I'll use my wife's car for longer trips.
This post isn't really anything new, just thought I would share my experience.

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
I have a new concern. Although my Ridgeline hasn't accumulated any mileage since being idled per Honda's recommendation for about a month and a half now, it is still accumulating time. The new vehicle limited warranty lasts for the first of 36,000 miles or 3 years. Whether 2 months or 12 months, I feel entitled to an extension of the time portion of my warranty.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
I have a new concern. Although my Ridgeline hasn't accumulated any mileage since being idled per Honda's recommendation for about a month and a half now, it is still accumulating time. The new vehicle limited warranty lasts for the first of 36,000 miles or 3 years. Whether 2 months or 12 months, I feel entitled to an extension of the time portion of my warranty.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is there a warranty on the vehicle made available to you by Honda? Are you responsible for maintenance?

It does not appear you are being denied use of a warrantied vehicle.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Got my loaner this morning from Enterprise, it was seamless, Honda dealer had guy come pick me up, he was driving a new CRV. He took me to dealer to sign papers and then to Enterprise, all in all it took about 45 minutes. Like others here driving Ram 1500 Quad cab with 5.7 Hemi, has 2800 miles on it....Rides nice and quite, still has friendly knobs along with touch screen and just put 100 miles on it and averaged 18.3 MPG if I'm reading it right...still not use to it and it's really big, I already missing my RL....Dealer told me that possibly they will have parts next week but he wasn't sure what the allotment would be....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Got my loaner this morning from Enterprise, it was seamless, Honda dealer had guy come pick me up, he was driving a new CRV. He took me to dealer to sign papers and then to Enterprise, all in all it took about 45 minutes. Like others here driving Ram 1500 Quad cab with 5.7 Hemi, has 2800 miles on it....Rides nice and quite, still has friendly knobs along with touch screen and just put 100 miles on it and averaged 18.3 MPG if I'm reading it right...still not use to it and it's really big, I already missing my RL....Dealer told me that possibly they will have parts next week but he wasn't sure what the allotment would be....
Sounds like you scored. Congrats for following up. I do wish we could get a straight answer on parts availability. Next week is a lot different than late summer.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I hear you on the warranty issue. I have a 6yr 120K extended warranty and would like to stay at 20K per year for 6 years. I normally drive between 24-30K per year. Last year I put 18K on my RL (bought new in Jan 2015), because my FIL retired from driving and I put 10K on his vehicle. This year I have 2500 on a loaner vehicle from Honda for a leak repair under warranty. I'm hoping to put 10K on the AirBag loaner. If that happens it will help me stay on track. It would be interesting if Honda would extend the warranty time. However I expect most drivers hit the mileage before the time so I don't see them doing that.
I took my RL out for a 3 miles drive today to keep her loose. Boy do I prefer her over the Silverado.
I kept thinking I should be wearing a helmet :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Massachusetts and spoke to my dealer today about when my Ridgeline would be getting fixed as I'm going away for a few weeks for work. The service manager said don't worry about it, "I'm not expecting parts for the Ridgeline until summer." We are in the northeast and not down south. I also asked how many rentals are out of their dealership and he said over 100! This recall is going to be a total mess and when parts come in it may just be who answers their phone first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Update.Local dealer was pretty good. wanted rl on lot, said no. immediately said paperwork would have to be signed. Told them I had to have a truck and service advisor bumped me up to service manager for authorization. He called back and told me he needed authorization. Called back and said a truck was authorized. Went to Enterprise and lucked out. Got a 2016 Ram Big Horn, 1400 miles, hemi, 4x4. trying to get use to a full size. Having this rental will allow me to test drive a full size which I never owned. All in all, treated well and fairly.

·
Administrator
13,313 Posts
Is there a warranty on the vehicle made available to you by Honda? Are you responsible for maintenance?

It does not appear you are being denied use of a warrantied vehicle.
Yes and no. I agree with your statement, but I still feel entitled to a time warranty extension since I am being denied use of my warrantied vehicle.

Sorry, I don't spend much time on ROC anymore.
I don't blame you. I wonder how much time I'm going to be spending here after the Takata airbag dust has settled and we return to our regularly scheduled programming. I've already practically made up my mind that I won't be buying a G2 Ridgeline for a few reasons including the fact that not having driven it for a while has reinforced my conclusion that I simply don't need a pickup.

I will say that I've made several attempts to participate on the CR-V owner's club forum with no success. There simply is a different type of people there and comes across as more of an "Edmunds-type" public comment area rather than friendly, knowledgeable, and useful.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yes and no. I agree with your statement, but I still feel entitled to a time warranty extension since I am being denied use of my warrantied vehicle.

I don't blame you. I wonder how much time I'm going to be spending here after the Takata airbag dust has settled and we return to our regularly scheduled programming. I've already practically made up my mind that I won't be buying a G2 Ridgeline for a few reasons including the fact that not having driven it for a while has reinforced my conclusion that I simply don't need a pickup.

I will say that I've made several attempts to participate on the CR-V owner's club forum with no success. There simply is a different type of people there and comes across as more of an "Edmunds-type" public comment area rather than friendly, knowledgeable, and useful.
Ya on crv forum im on it too..its ok just not enough members maybe..but ok

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
When I had Accords I tried that forum with little if any benefit, then got CR-Vs and tried that forum for a while same results. Tried the CT forum a couple of years ago after getting the wife a CT, no luck there. The RL forum at the present is not much better. I long for the early days of the RL forum.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For folks having trouble getting a suitable rental: Call around to different Enterprise locations in your area. Be nice. I was very polite and thankful while explaining my situation and asking for help locating a truck.

Yesterday, I got the choice of a RAM 1500 at a location I contacted or a Frontier from a location that called me. I went with the Nissan because the RAM is pretty darn big without much appreciable increase in interior room. The Frontier is a 2016 Crew Cab with less than 4k miles on it. I swapped the rental Hyundai Sonata this morning.

Some folks have already posted re: daily pricing tips. I simply explained to the Enterprise employees I worked with that although the daily rate for a truck in my area was 57.99 and Honda was only covering 35, I'd likely be in the rental for a month or more. 35/day x 30 = 1050, which more than covered the monthly rental for a truck. Now, if the paperwork said it was a monthly rental, I'd have been nervous about them making me pay the difference should my truck get repaired early for some reason. But the paperwork has the rental rate listed as 35/day.

The Sonata was fine, and if there was no threat of being in it for several months, I would have stuck with it. 30 mpg was pretty good :) Also, a) seeing how little room there is left up front after installing a rear-facing carseat in the back b) seeing how little underseat storage there is in the back and c) making one average-sized grocery run, I'm convinced that the Ridgeline is pretty much perfect for my purposes. I enjoy driving a "truck truck" like the Frontier, but the Ridgeline is much better suited for my needs.

My wife likes but doesn't love the Ridgeline, but she hasn't ridden in a true body-on-frame truck in quite some time, so she can't fully appreciate the RL's smooth ride and forgiving suspension. That's going to change when we head out to run some errands in the Nissan later :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Update.Local dealer was pretty good. wanted rl on lot, said no. immediately said paperwork would have to be signed. Told them I had to have a truck and service advisor bumped me up to service manager for authorization. He called back and told me he needed authorization. Called back and said a truck was authorized. Went to Enterprise and lucked out. Got a 2016 Ram Big Horn, 1400 miles, hemi, 4x4. trying to get use to a full size. Having this rental will allow me to test drive a full size which I never owned. All in all, treated well and fairly.

Just wondering did you have to pay extra for the truck rental? I've heard Honda is covering up to 35 per day which clearly wouldn't include a full size truck!

761 - 780 of 2064 Posts