Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been scanning the news feeds. More recalls in Japan and worldwide. Takata hired a financial manager to guide them with the problems. My guess is they are planning their going out of business sale. This is how it starts.

Type Takata into Google.....

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I read that they were just bought by a private equity firm.
Which usually means they will be milked for any cash, and then sold off piecemeal.

Chip H.

·
Registered
681 Posts
honda should by them, fix the damage then get profitable again...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My wife's 2003 BMW 325xi was issued a driver's air bag recall today. There is no date on when replacement parts will be available. BMW is trying to avoid giving loaner vehicles. I called BMW USA and pressed the issue. Their website says the failures may cause "injury or death". They didn't object to a loaner very long, but their website says that the vehicles are "safe to drive". I wonder how they can make that claim when there are at least 13 known deaths attributable to malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife's 2003 BMW 325xi was issued a driver's air bag recall today. There is no date on when replacement parts will be available. BMW is trying to avoid giving loaner vehicles. I called BMW USA and pressed the issue. Their website says the failures may cause "injury or death". They didn't object to a loaner very long, but their website says that the vehicles are "safe to drive". I wonder how they can make that claim when there are at least 13 known deaths attributable to malfunctions.
Safe to drive in this case means there is virtually no potential for a mechanical or electrical failure that would cause a sudden or catastrophic loss of control leading to an accident or crash or injury or death. This statement is independent of the airbag system. If you took the airbags out of the car, it would still be safe to drive.

It's a legal distinction. Some would think this a fine line, but in other words, it is safe to drive normally, but the airbag potentially causes injury or death in the event of airbag deploy (accident or crash). Just about any crash with an airbag deploy has the potential for injury or death, regardless of the airbag condition. The airbag is there to reduce injury or death in the event of an accident, not cause it. this is similar situation to when they originally implemented airbags and they were too powerful which was injuring and killing people that would have otherwise survived. Also similar to the airbag defeat switches for front seat passengers of small stature (kids).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,275 Posts
Safe to drive in this case means there is virtually no potential for a mechanical or electrical failure that would cause a sudden or catastrophic loss of control leading to an accident or crash or injury or death. This statement is independent of the airbag system. If you took the airbags out of the car, it would still be safe to drive.
I would go so far as to suggest that by taking the airbags out of the car, you would make it safer to drive. But I suspect there is no way to legally remove airbags without violating federal requirements.

That is indeed a conundrum.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

It's a legal distinction. Some would think this a fine line, but in other words, it is safe to drive normally, but the airbag potentially causes injury or death in the event of airbag deploy (accident or crash). Just about any crash with an airbag deploy has the potential for injury or death, regardless of the airbag condition. The airbag is there to reduce injury or death in the event of an accident, not cause it. this is similar situation to when they originally implemented airbags and they were too powerful which was injuring and killing people that would have otherwise survived. Also similar to the airbag defeat switches for front seat passengers of small stature (kids).
Being an attorney, I understand legal distinction, but when they bags deploy in a normal crash and there exists the possibility of death in a minor accident, it doesn't fit the definition of being "safe" to drive. My other gripe with BMW is that Honda and other manufacturers are parking their customers' vehicles, because, obviously, Honda doesn't feel that the vehicles are "safe" to drive. BMW is using the same airbags. Why the difference?

·
Registered
35 Posts
honda should by them, fix the damage then get profitable again...
Honda? Why should Honda buy them? Honda is in business to build cars to make money Not to make senseless investments.

Even if there was a financial scenario where this may work, I can't imagine Honda would want to buy into that reputation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Story on national news reported Many new cars being built will most likely be recalled in future for air bag problems. Let's keep building JUNK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's really such a stupid situation. The only positive thing if you can call it positive is that if you consider how many car crashes there are in a day in Europe, the US, Japan, etc. And how many deaths have been reported from the airbags over the time they have been defective (I think it's 18 not sure),
there's a good chance you'll be ok if you're in a crash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts