Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, MM code 4 has arrived! We did the spark plugs but I wasn't quite up to the job of DIYing the timing belt or valve adjustments this time around. She goes in tomorrow. This will be the third time it's gone to the dealer since it left the lot. The first time was for the blower fan squeaking under warranty and the second was for the fuel injector TSB and gas fuel cover recall work. This third time will be the first, where we will be shelling out some significant $$. But hopefully she'll be good for another long while and maybe by the time the second timing belt is due, we'll tackle it on our own like everything else so far. crossing fingers that this goes well.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Is this for TB, water pump, tensioner and idlers and some other goodies that I forgot? If so may I ask what the quote was? Also what mileage were you at for the code?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@14v6 So we did the plugs on our own, so we got quotes for just the TB service (TB, water pump, tensioner, drive belt, coolant) and valve adjustment (valve cover gasket)... although I am not sure that some of the shops "understood" that I was requesting NO plugs. These quotes were all between ~1500-2500... and the independent shops seemed iffy on if they really used OEM stuff. We went with the local Honda dealer for ~1850. Their breakdown quote was 2500 for the "Best Timing Belt Package", -$350 for no plugs, and -300 for their current TB service discount. The independent shops specializing in imports actually had higher quotes. We do have to add about 10% tax here, so I'm going to be looking at a final price of ~2k. Will report back on how it goes tomorrow and what extra charges (if any) show up.

The A14 code came up at about 105K and at 106k the MM went to 0% and started counting up the miles I was over due. LOL

·
Registered
2017 RTL
115 Posts
Doing the spark plugs ourselves saved us about $200, since the spark plugs run about $23 each, totaling around $140 (not exact prices, but close). Be warned, you need "special" tools for this including magnetic spark plug socket, wobble socket, all sorts of different length extensions. The spark plugs towards the firewall you have to to blind. But the job itself isn't hard, and takes us about 20 minutes to do now that we have experience. I think silkie made some post about this somewhere...

We aren't too trusting of other people doing work on our behalf, but without the service manual, we aren't really that willing to do the timing belt ourselves like we've done on some of our other cars where we did have the service manual.

Fingers crossed for competent service. They can be rude as long as they do the job right!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got the truck back after spending the day in a red Honda Insight. Hopefully we will be good for the next 105k miles! All in all I would say it was a good experience. This particular dealership hasn't given me a reason to dislike them, so I am happy. They were able to follow instructions unlike the dealership closer to home...

Here is a picture of the parts that I requested returned for inspection. The water pump and bolt were put back into the plastic bags that the new ones came in, and they were stapled closed with tons of staples. I like how the tech even spent the time to wrap up the belts and zip tie them... and trimmed the ties. lol.
Dishware Serveware Kitchen utensil Font Jewellery

To me the parts all look good still with lots of life left. Much like the plugs, probably could have gone another 50k no problem.

I also requested that the tech note the conditions of the valves, to which they actually did! The exhausts were largely tight while the intakes were largely loose.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Writing

The breakdown of parts was as follows:

Font Paper Number Paper product Document

No idea what the whole 2-part Fuel Kit Induction is all about, but I don't really care as part of the package deal.

At the end of the day the total was $2066.04

Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Paper product

The cheapest independent shop quoted $1159 total without spark plugs (no sales tax in Oregon). However, they did not inspire confidence in actually using OEM parts... and I'd have to schedule it with a trip to Oregon. Additionally, the independent shops in this area were not competitive price wise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
573 Posts
nice. Curious if you have some close ups of the t-belt condition on both sides. My experience has been that at 100k the belts, pump, and tensioner are visually still in good condition at 105k service. (A good sign to me that there is plenty of margin built in, and lends credence to not really needing to do it before 100k intervals, which some swear by, due to the manuals note of severe service interval of like 60k)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Thanks for all the details. I remember a few years ago my local dealer advertised tb and water pump for $775 (no tensioner). Those retail prices on parts and coolant are hard to swallow but looks like they did a good job. Do you notice any difference with those valve adjustments? Now I know why I've never kept a Honda V6 past timing belt time. :) A dealer in the area (Rensselaer) has an option to prepay for service and just the TB job alone is $995 so when you throw in the tensioner, water pump, drive belt and a valve adjustment I bet the numbers come in higher than yours.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
905 Posts
nice. Curious if you have some close ups of the t-belt condition on both sides. My experience has been that at 100k the belts, pump, and tensioner are visually still in good condition at 105k service. (A good sign to me that there is plenty of margin built in, and lends credence to not really needing to do it before 100k intervals, which some swear by, due to the manuals note of severe service interval of like 60k)
I‘ve heard it’s tensioner wear out that drives the recommended TB service interval. If the tensioner leaks and fails the TB can slip causing timing issues. This being an interference engine, the risk of failure at 100K may be low but the cost of failure is high.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
25 Posts
Interesting they charged you for brake cleaner and also charged you for shop supplies which usually includes brake cleaner. its only $4 bucks I know.....The induction kit( typically BG products, good stuff) usually is for cleaning the throttle body and the intake valves. Not really needed for the intake valves any more due to direct injection but doesn't hurt it I guess. Thanks for the break down. Good stuff

·
Registered
2017 RTL
115 Posts
I‘ve heard it’s tensioner wear out that drives the recommended TB service interval. If the tensioner leaks and fails the TB can slip causing timing issues. This being an interference engine, the risk of failure at 100K may be low but the cost of failure is high.
That's curious since 100k miles is essentially the timing belt interval that I've always seen for most Honda cars at the more "regular" service interval, hydraulic tensioner or not. Maybe they all wear out at the same rate?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. Definitely nice that they gave you back the parts like that and not just tossed in a box in the back. Frankly, just goes to show you that not all dealers are terrible places.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@zerog2k Here's a pic of the timing belt close up. Might as well be brand new to my eyes. It's still supple when unfolded as well.
Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Composite material Grille

And here's a few other closer views:

Water pump blades:
Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Crankset

Tensioner:
Hand Wood Finger Safety glove Gas

What appears to be locktite red on the threads of the bolt.
Tobacco Rectangle Chemical compound Font Cigarette

@14v6 I think the truck might be running smoother?? But heck, it might be in my head because it feels smoother after an oil change. I'm not that in tune with how things feel, so I can't say if it feels any different really.

@jskicet Thanks for the insight on what the induction kit is all about. I thought the 4 bucks for brake cleaner would have fallen under shop supplies as well . 🤷‍♀️ At the end of the day, even though there was also no mention of the induction kit prior to work, I'm still satisfied because everything requested was done for the price that was quoted. The rest I suppose is "bonus" or "included" but not mentioned, which may or may not have been part of the largely more expensive quotes received from other shops.

@gti16vman To be honest, reputation of dealers and shops are poor enough that it was a fairly hard decision to make to bring the vehicle in for work. We do the vast majority on our own and handing keys to a stranger is challenging due to our OCD nature. We requested parts back and it was indeed impressive how neatly they were presented. I asked for them to "toss the parts in the bed" but the tech wrapped them up, packaged them, and put them into a box that was handed to me at pickup. This experience at this local dealer, which happens to be the one where we bought the truck, was far better than the experience at the dealer closer to home which we took the truck for the fuel injector warranty issue. Another nice touch at this dealership, was that while standing around, none of the service advisors were heavily pushing extra services to their customers in person or on their phonelines. The dealership we will never go back to, was pushing headlight fluid left and right... we should have seen that as a warning sign.

Now, I don't know how much it really mattered, but I did clean the truck before taking it in. Wash, wax, shined, engine bay dusted lightly and interior vacuumed. It was clean enough that the lot lady asked me if I had just bought the new truck. She had a very surprised look on her face when I said it was here for it's 105k mile service. She said it smelled new and that I must not allow anyone to eat in the car. LOL. If she only knew. For the record, lots of snacking and hobby farm life goes on inside. My cabin air filter tends to fill with dog hair and bird feathers and I've cleaned lamb milk replacer off the headliner. I'm just constantly dusting and cleaning to keep the zoo under control, to which I keep detailer, microfiber towels, and a duster in the doors for this very reason. Maybe the tech noticed this and took extra care for a vehicle who has an owner that clearly cares. The multi point inspection came out all green.

Font Paper Paper product Parallel Document

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silkie,

Federal Law requires this be explained:

…..and I've cleaned lamb milk replacer off the headliner….
Easy to explain! Baby lambs need to be fed at least every 4 hours and they get hungry in transport. So when they are eating at a rest stop, instinct causes them to "punch" the bottle to "let down milk", which because it's a bottle and not an udder, sends milk squirts flying throughout the cab.

Ear Rabbit Iris Whiskers Fawn

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Here's my receipt for same service, although this was an A14, meaning it included the oil change and tire rotation. Probably more expensive because it was at a dealer out on Cape Cod, rather than a major metro area.
Thanks for sharing. Seems to be a wide variance in the price of Spark Plugs. How do you inspect a water pump without removing it? If they had to remove it to inspect it might as well have changed it. That oil is inexpensive (what could it be) and they only charged you for 5 quarts. I would have expected them to round it up to 6.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts