Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving through the Guadeloupe mountains when all of a sudden I lost power and all those lights came on.... Loss of power, spits and sputters at full throttle.... all fluids are good, 6k miles, brakes are good, and all power is good... 96k miles on the truck itself... old engine blew up so a reman. Engine has replaced it at 0 miles first 1000 miles was driven with great care for engine break in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please and Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Check all connections on the engine harness. You can also pull one of the cables off the battery terminals and let it sit that way for ten or fifteen minutes. Reconnect the battery and try again.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Possibly also a battery failure. Since I'm guessing your on the side of the road somewhere it would be dependent on what tools you have with you as to what you can check. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you find out as the cause... could help others as well...
Sounds like "limp mode", but I don't recall which failures send the ECU into that direction.

FYI, it could be a dozen or more different things.... I see that your check engine light is on. Get the codes read & you'll likely find out quickly what the issue is. There are some things that are not serious, but cause engine ECU to take actions to limit potential engine damage. This includes things as basic as losing communications with critical sensors. Examples are Crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure switch, VTEC sensors, VTM4, maybe VSA or even an O2 sensor...etc. You can get the codes read at any shop or even at Autozone (& other auto parts stores) for free. Hopefully you just have a bad connection somewhere. More likely a bad switch or sensor.
Have you gone off road lately where anything underneath could get snagged? (there's a sensor down there somewhere too)

Lastly, you said "all fluids are good".... but I can't imagine you checked the VTM-4 fluid, did you?? (Differential) Maybe that got overheated on you.... I don't know if engine shuts down for that, but just an example of all the things in the "what might it be" universe that you have to get narrowed down by getting the codes read.

BTW, no loud noises, right? Just sudden shut down?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find myself stuck in the same position, except no engine check light came on. I already changed the plugs, coils and checked the injectors. The vtm4 light is on in the dash but i have never used the vtm4 itself. Can anyone advise as to where i can proceed from here. Oh yeah, no hinds dealerships here in jamaica so dont know where to take it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I find myself stuck in the same position, except no engine check light came on. I already changed the plugs, coils and checked the injectors. The vtm4 light is on in the dash but i have never used the vtm4 itself. Can anyone advise as to where i can proceed from here. Oh yeah, no hinds dealerships here in jamaica so dont know where to take it.
Had same problem ,It was my throttle control sensor. DTC P2138 APP position sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree you probably have a sensor somewhere on the fritz. If no Honda dealers, I'm guessing no Acura dealers either. Try you nearest independent "Asian" auto repair shop. They should at least be somewhat familiar with Honda. Good Luck Mahn! :)
(Try ATL in Kingston if you get over that way)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts