Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I installed the Tekonsha PS brake controller on my 2019 Ridgeline. Like most things in life, the solution is simple, the execution not so much.

The video on etrailer.com is excellent and was what I followed for the install.

However, the install was not as easy as the video suggests. What I did do differently than the video was to use a 1" Forstner drill bit to make a nice clean hole in the lower dash pocket (easy does it) instead of a utility knife. Then after struggling with the cable repeatedly, I ended up making a hooked fish wire from a coat hanger which worked very well. I could see the cable, I just could not reach it. I'm thinking I was up, down and under the dash close to 10 times.

I used a Philips screwdriver tip on a mini ratchet for starting the screws for the mount in the dash pocket. The supplied sheet metal screws were dull and wouldn't start (even with a considerable amount of cursing) so they were replaced with truss head stainless steel sheet metal screws with much sharper points. The install would have been impossible without the 90-degree screwdriver or my mini ratchet.

Power was to the P3 immediately when plugged in without using the supplied fuse that came with the trailer brake plug/wire in the glove box. Basically, the install is plug & play with the exception of drilling the 1" hole for the cable to go through.

All in all, the installed went well but there was a lot of struggling and curse words for this 68-year-old, 40-pound overweight old man working alone. I now know what it is like to be in a straight jacket. Next on the agenda is to find a good chiropractor.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered that spot but wanted long term satisfaction over immediate satisfaction, contrary to my usual impulses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed mine today, and also did the easier mount to the lower left dash panel as I do not own one of those nifty little right angle bit ratchets. :p Would've been cool to put it under that center dash pocket, but aside from not having the correct tool, I figured safer to go simpler, especially for me. That under dash connector sure is way up in there- I could barely get it down far enough to push the pigtail connector up into it- but I managed to connect it once to test my wiring, then disconnected it to do the soldering, then reconnected. Always fun doing stuff blindly, one-handed and by touch! ‍@#%@$#%$& :mad: But hey, it works!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Basically my install was plug & play. What did you need to solder?
My 2019 RTL-E came with a pigtail connector (plastic OEM connector on one end, bare wires on the other end), spare 20A fuse and wiring directions in a clear plastic pouch, to use with whatever brand of controller. So, I just matched up and twisted the wire leads from the Tekonsha pigtail connector, tested and then soldered the twists for a secure connection. I ordered my P3 from Amazon, without the Honda-specific connection cable, since I already had the OEM generic cable. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I also followed the E trailer video followed up by my own crappy video which proved it can be done. ;)

It absolutely wasn't as easy as they made it look. Then again I think I was just making it more complicated than it needed to be which I am good at at times.

Me personally in this smallish cab would not want it mounted anywhere else. This is best ease of use and most visible.

We have towed 4-5 times with this controller now using the Honda towing 5k pounds and the controller works as well as I've always been told that it does by loyal purchasing friends.

Here is my crappy attempt at it if anyone cares to laugh at me. Non monetized, I'm not a youtube professional.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My 2019 RTL-E came with a pigtail connector (plastic OEM connector on one end, bare wires on the other end), spare 20A fuse and wiring directions in a clear plastic pouch, to use with whatever brand of controller. So, I just matched up and twisted the wire leads from the Tekonsha pigtail connector, tested and then soldered the twists for a secure connection. I ordered my P3 from Amazon, without the Honda-specific connection cable, since I already had the OEM generic cable. :)

I'm one of the biggest cheapskates on earth, and even I'll admit it was easier to use the 9.95 adapter cable. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm one of the biggest cheapskates on earth, and even I'll admit it was easier to use the 9.95 adapter cable. ;)
Ha! I almost ordered it too- but I've done so much wiring and soldering on various motorcycle farkles, that it's no big deal for me, and the iron is always at hand. I blame my Dad for this, for putting me in front of a Heathkit transistor radio DIY project as a kid. Amazing what I'll go cheap on, then blow twice as much on something else.:sneaky:

Without that video I don't think I'd have found that connector, though- it was so far up behind the dash, and wrapped in tight with the cables coming from the switches above it, I could only pull it down enough to turn it so the plug faced down. Arrrgghh!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts