Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So , I have a 2019 RTL-E. 34K miles on it. “ “ “Transmission Too Hot” light came on 5x while towing a 2019 Forest River 19’ 3050lb. camper. Took into shop and Honda is having to replace my transmission now. So disappointed. I really love the truck. Rides smooth as butter and feels great. But they really blew it when it came to power. Apparently, there’s been many issues with this. Probably why the 2020 has a 8 speed transmission now. I also bet they got a bigger cooler too. Looks like I’m not gonna take chances anymore. May have to look at a Tundra or Ram.
Question, Did you have the optional trans color installed when you purchased the vehicle.

Question, are you locking the trans into D4 when in hilly or non flat non-downhill terrain?

·
Registered
68 Posts
So , I have a 2019 RTL-E. 34K miles on it. “ “ “Transmission Too Hot” light came on 5x while towing a 2019 Forest River 19’ 3050lb. camper. Took into shop and Honda is having to replace my transmission now. So disappointed. I really love the truck. Rides smooth as butter and feels great. But they really blew it when it came to power. Apparently, there’s been many issues with this. Probably why the 2020 has a 8 speed transmission now. I also bet they got a bigger cooler too. Looks like I’m not gonna take chances anymore. May have to look at a Tundra or Ram.
I would never pull a two axle camper trailer with the Ridgeline. Too many people think that it can do what a full size truck can do. It cannot. Pulling a jet ski or a single axle boat trailer is ok, or a single axle trailer for hauling a riding mower. Even a single axle camper would be ok. However my recommendation would be a 3/4 ton truck for two axle camper trailers, and a 1 ton truck for 5th wheel camper trailers, or camper trailers that have 3 axles. Always better to have more truck than needed than to push your luck by pushing the limits. And with the right size truck, you will be waving at the others that are broke down on the side of the road because they chose to push the limits.
Look at it this way. Do you remember when GM made the ElCamino? It was a car/truck. They took a car and cut off the back end and put a truck bed on it. The Ridgeline is a Pilot with the back end cut off and a truck bed put on it. It is a LIGHT duty truck. And I emphasize LIGHT DUTY.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Hum.

Forgot to ask how fast that 3050 lbs was being pulled. Get ready for that gasoline slurping sound with a full-size p/u, even when not towing. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, multiple times.

That Klak, klak, klak, klak sound and $200 LOF changes to tow 3050 lbs?.....no thanks. And they still stink. But if that’s what is needed, then that’s what’s needed. Doesn’t it cost at least $10K more to say klak, klak, klak diesel? Why do diesel p/u drivers leave them klak, klak, klak, klak, klaking while re-fueling? 🤷‍♂️The sign at the diesel pump says “Turn Off Motor”, just like the sign at the gasoline pump says.
No one actually needs to turn off their motor. You can fill up on unleaded while the motor is running with no issues.

·
Registered
514 Posts
No one actually needs to turn off their motor. You can fill up on unleaded while the motor is running with no issues.
State law here says turn motor off.........and I stop at stop signs as well. Wonder why?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I would never pull a two axle camper trailer with the Ridgeline. Too many people think that it can do what a full size truck can do. It cannot. Pulling a jet ski or a single axle boat trailer is ok, or a single axle trailer for hauling a riding mower. Even a single axle camper would be ok. However my recommendation would be a 3/4 ton truck for two axle camper trailers, and a 1 ton truck for 5th wheel camper trailers, or camper trailers that have 3 axles. Always better to have more truck than needed than to push your luck by pushing the limits. And with the right size truck, you will be waving at the others that are broke down on the side of the road because they chose to push the limits.
Look at it this way. Do you remember when GM made the ElCamino? It was a car/truck. They took a car and cut off the back end and put a truck bed on it. The Ridgeline is a Pilot with the back end cut off and a truck bed put on it. It is a LIGHT duty truck. And I emphasize LIGHT DUTY.
It would be much more accurate to say the Pilot is a Ridgeline with a cap.

If you cut the back off of a Pilot, it would probably be very dangerous to drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don’t forget the Rigi’s 14” longer wheelbase and longer overall. In addition to a saw, gotta have a welder to do a stretch like that. LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Honda Transmission cooler is just too small.....they made it a little too 'cute'.

Stock G2 cooler:

Stock dims roughly
Core Thickness:1.26
Core Height:2.43
Core Length:9.80

I plan to use our 2020 G2 to pull our racecars on our two axle trailers up the El Cajon and other passes. Plenty of room for a bigger cooler. I know from prior threads some have done their own DIY upgrades, but we can develop a plug and play upgrade that uses stock mounting points and makes it super easy. Will add that to list of mods we are working on, upgraded brakes already well along in development.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
577 Posts
The Honda Transmission cooler is just too small.....they made it a little too 'cute'.

Stock G2 cooler:

Stock dims roughly

I plan to use our 2020 G2 to pull our racecars on our two axle trailers up the El Cajon and other passes. Plenty of room for a bigger cooler. I know from prior threads some have done their own DIY upgrades, but we can develop a plug and play upgrade that uses stock mounting points and makes it super easy. Will add that to list of mods we are working on, upgraded brakes already well along in development.
Keep us informed, I may be interested. Will you have this somewhere on your web site?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is a hemi? Hemi has nothing to do with displacement, ie 5.7L or 6.4L.
Try this reference:

What Makes HEMI Unique? HEMI has a super-efficient combustion chamber, making it markedly more powerful than other engines. Unlike a flat head piston on the engine you might find in your lawnmower, HEMI pistons usually have a dome-shaped head with open, angled valves and twin spark plugs per cylinder.Nov 27, 2018

Autolist › guides › what-is-a-hemi-e...
What is a Hemi Engine? - Autolist

·
Registered
514 Posts
"Super efficient combustion chamber" is very arguable. Modern hemi pistons look like flattops to me. I'm pretty sure twin spark plugs (late model hemi's) aided some of the inefficiencies of the combustion chamber.

6.4l hemi pistons

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
14 Posts
Not enough info. Flat towing - hills?? What was the outside temp, ect.
I'm towing 4500 often, 2019 RTL and the six speed works well. You may just have an issue with that trans, but how you are towing makes a diff. Also, 3K weight with SIGNIFICANT drag on a camper is much different than 5k weight pulling a flatbed with lumber.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Stock G2 cooler:

Stock dims roughly

That resembles an "assault rifle"; hope it doesn't get banned :).

Reactions: olgzr

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Makes me think of an H&K MP5 SMG, not an assault rifle.
No doubt you're right about the H&K, but "assault rifle" has more of a punchline ring to it :).

·
Registered
514 Posts

Stock G2 cooler:
Stock dims roughly

Hum....those OE numbers roughly amount to 31 cubic inches. The cooler I installed is roughly 103 cubic inches. Very satisfied with the results.

Since FWD G2s don’t get a cooler, a 31 cubic inch cooler is certainly better than nothing.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts