Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove one today—Black Edition. Wish I hadn’t, cause now I want one.

What was noticeable in comparison to my 2-year old Tacoma OR was that the appointments were quite a bit more upscale, the seating position was lower and more car-like, the ride was much more refined, and the acceleration was smoother and better.

Externally the design has been nicely updated in a more rugged way. Looks like a nice-looking truck. I am not a fan of black, so looking for a white pearl, silver or possibly red. Wheels are nothing special but don’t look out of place. From what I’ve read the Firestones are apparently great for the road but only so-so off the road. Easy fix if one wanted to go offroad much.

The suspension is compliant but assertive enough to prevent body roll that’s common with the BOF trucks with more offroad-ability.

Inside the electronics are not much of an upgrade from my Tacoma except for CarPlay. The back seat does this wonderful disappearing act to allow enough room for 2 bicycles behind the seat, which I think is very cool.

Of course there’s the trunk in the bed, a big plus. The bed itself is a full 4 feet wide and 5.5 feet long—noticeably bigger than the Tacoma, though that has never been an issue for me.

The only downsides I can see are that it’s a bit pricey—not compared to similarly equipped midsize trucks or SUVs, but more than my OR Tacoma; it doesn’t have the bones for extreme off-roading, something I have not done in 2 years and am unlikely to do in this lifetime (though it acquits itself pretty well in some videos I’ve seen, and with a skid plate and proper tires I think could do very well); and the tow capacity is lower than the Tacoma, though I think it would have to perform at least as well, given the similar engine and HP and 9-speed transmission.

Not that I don’t enjoy my Tacoma, but this is a definite upgrade in the drivability and comfort department. My original plan was to buy out my Taco at the end of the lease, but this has got me wondering...

I have a friend who is always bugging me “when are you gonna sell me your Tacoma?”. Well, maybe the time has come for me to offer him a deal.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
With used prices so high right now, you might be able to buy your Taco from Toyota, flip it to your friend and make money, then get the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy that’s nice. I’ve only had one white vehicle ever, but the paint on this one is awesome. I also like silver and red with black accents, if I just went with the RTL-E.

Looks like about 3 BE’s in town, no RTL-E’s. The sales manager said they’ve got a couple of white RTL-E’s slated for delivery within a month.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah do it! You see April 2021 Consumer Reports? Ridgeline blows Tacoma out of the water. View attachment 411925 View attachment 411926
Don’t show that to Tacoma people...

The RL is much more refined and a better daily driver. The Tacoma is more of a tool for off-roading and working. Plus only way to get a manual (other than the outdated Frontier).

TBH I’d feel bad about getting mud in the Ridgeline LOL. It‘s too nice of an interior.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
? Nissan discontinued the manual in the Frontier when the new 3.8L/9-speed powertrain became the only powertrain for the 2020 model year. That same powertrain is carried over in the new 2022 Frontier.

The last two trucks with a manual transmission are the Tacoma and Gladiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Test drove one today—Black Edition. Wish I hadn’t, cause now I want one.

What was noticeable in comparison to my 2-year old Tacoma OR was that the appointments were quite a bit more upscale, the seating position was lower and more car-like, the ride was much more refined, and the acceleration was smoother and better.

Externally the design has been nicely updated in a more rugged way. Looks like a nice-looking truck. I am not a fan of black, so looking for a white pearl, silver or possibly red. Wheels are nothing special but don’t look out of place. From what I’ve read the Firestones are apparently great for the road but only so-so off the road. Easy fix if one wanted to go offroad much.

The suspension is compliant but assertive enough to prevent body roll that’s common with the BOF trucks with more offroad-ability.

Inside the electronics are not much of an upgrade from my Tacoma except for CarPlay. The back seat does this wonderful disappearing act to allow enough room for 2 bicycles behind the seat, which I think is very cool.

Of course there’s the trunk in the bed, a big plus. The bed itself is a full 4 feet wide and 5.5 feet long—noticeably bigger than the Tacoma, though that has never been an issue for me.

The only downsides I can see are that it’s a bit pricey—not compared to similarly equipped midsize trucks or SUVs, but more than my OR Tacoma; it doesn’t have the bones for extreme off-roading, something I have not done in 2 years and am unlikely to do in this lifetime (though it acquits itself pretty well in some videos I’ve seen, and with a skid plate and proper tires I think could do very well); and the tow capacity is lower than the Tacoma, though I think it would have to perform at least as well, given the similar engine and HP and 9-speed transmission.

Not that I don’t enjoy my Tacoma, but this is a definite upgrade in the drivability and comfort department. My original plan was to buy out my Taco at the end of the lease, but this has got me wondering...

I have a friend who is always bugging me “when are you gonna sell me your Tacoma?”. Well, maybe the time has come for me to offer him a deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still have a lease on my Tacoma til the end of the year. I was originally planning to buy it outright anyway.

I plugged in the VIN for offers from Carvana and Carmax...I couldn’t believe Carmax was going to offer me $2000 less than the sticker price 2 years ago, i.e., more than the payoff price. (Surprisingly Carvana was $3000 less, and I would have to drive 200 miles to deliver it.)

Wow. That makes things interesting.

Will talk to the Honda folks this week and see if there’s a vehicle that might be coming in. I would like to go with a white BE. Second choice would be a red RTL-e.

I like the Taco, but I LOVE buying new vehicles!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I still have a lease on my Tacoma til the end of the year. I was originally planning to buy it outright anyway.

I plugged in the VIN for offers from Carvana and Carmax...I couldn’t believe Carmax was going to offer me $2000 less than the sticker price 2 years ago, i.e., more than the payoff price. (Surprisingly Carvana was $3000 less, and I would have to drive 200 miles to deliver it.)

Wow. That makes things interesting.

Will talk to the Honda folks this week and see if there’s a vehicle that might be coming in. I would like to go with a white BE. Second choice would be a red RTL-e.

I like the Taco, but I LOVE buying new vehicles!
I have sold a few vehicles to Carmax. Pretty sure that “offer” is really just an estimate pending a personal inspection and test drive, and they can be pretty picky as it relates to tires, scratches, etc.

Proceed with caution.....⚠

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have sold a few vehicles to Carmax. Pretty sure that “offer” is really just an estimate pending a personal inspection and test drive, and they can be pretty picky as it relates to tires, scratches, etc.

Proceed with caution.....⚠
I figured that was the case. If nothing else, I can use that as some leverage with the dealership for a potential trade-in. Otherwise, I don't have to do anything right now, if it's not to my advantage.

I've never sold a car through them--offered them my '03 Z4 once upon a time, but they offered a lowball number, and I sold it to a private dealer for $2000 more. I have bought several cars through them though, and have found them very trustworthy when it comes to buying a lightly used vehicle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sales gal really wants to sell me that truck. She’s about as old as my youngest daughter (25), which I find funny. (My doctors are getting the same age as my kids too, which is an even more daunting proposition.) So we’ll see how willing they are to deal.

Quick question: anybody tow 3500-4500 lbs with their Ridgeline on a regular basis? This is the only thing that gives me pause, as we have a 2800 lb dry weight camper. With a similar engine and better auto transmission, I don‘t think the RL could do worse, cause the Taco struggles a bit with the load. It gets the job done, but it doesn’t like it, and it’s not fun to drive that way. And gas mileage SUCKS....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting closer. Met with the Honda folks to review my ‘19 Tacoma. They offered me a pretty good number, but not quite enough. I am going to have Carmax make an offer.

It looks like I would be able to get a White BE soon if I can sell the Taco.

I have mixed feelings. The Taco is a great-looking truck, and it has done everything I asked it to do. But there’s no doubt the Ridgeline is a step up in refinement.

I’ve had a lot of nice vehicles over the years. A ‘77 Toyota Celica GT, ‘86 Saab 900, ‘86 Audi 80, ‘01 Subaru Outback, ‘02 Acura CL, ‘03 BMW Z4, ‘11 Subaru WRX, ‘11 BMW X3, ‘18 Subaru WRX, and an ‘18 Mazda MX5. I have enjoyed them all, but at the end of the day they’re just cars, and I am always looking for a new experience. I still have the Miata, which is the perfect complement for a nice truck.

We’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two things I've noticed that seem to be common with Ridgeline owners: Many are engineers and many own Miatas. :)

View attachment 412343
This proves that:

A) RL and MX5 owners are smart AND have good taste
B) They know how to pick exactly the right tool for the job
C) They don't give a rat's *** what other people think of their choice of vehicle--they know they're awesome

1 - 20 of 39 Posts