Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found myself a Ridge. A 2007 RTL with 85,000 miles. For some reason this RTL doesn't come with a hitch, I thought all RTL came with hitch... Long story, but the checks been written and the Ridge is waiting for me. Per picture and car fax, this is the one. I am going to be picking up the truck on Friday, spending a couple nights in down there, then making my way back to MN. The one owner truck has been kept in very good condition. Oil changes and fluids done on time. What would you guys do if you were going to make the trip after buying it...? Obviously, I will double check the fluids, radiator, tranny... I am super excited, someone knock some reality back in me. HA! :act060:

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you are driving to Minnesota, one thing you should do before heading out is replace the windshield washer fluid with the low-temperature kind. The regular blue kind that is used here in Texas will freeze up solid in the colder temps up north. I experienced that with a trip to Colorado in my Ridgeline. Putting in the low temp washer fluid before I left would have made life a lot easier.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
2007 RTL did not come with factory hitch I am not a DIY person so most accessories were put on at time of new purchase. The hitch was one of the accessories I did not get Tonneau Cover & Backup Cam more important. I was always planning to get hitch later but never did. Could have used hitch with bike rack accessory or hitch mount cargo carrier. Never was going to tow anything but never know. If it's not standard on Next Gen Ridgeline when I get it sure will get one.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,405 Posts
I'm with Festus, I'd either find the "low temp" additive for the washer fluid or on your fuel or overnight stops heading north, keep checking auto parts stores for the "cold climate fluid".

And FTM is correct, No RL, from '06-'08 came with a factory hitch or wiring harness, several have added with ease either aftermarket hitch from CURT MFG or the OEM hitch. OEM wiring harness highly recommended, aftermarket wiring harnesses cause all sorts of electrical issues, and the OEM kit is very easy to install. Start using the Blue search bar this forum almost everything has been covered, many things more than once.

Two cheap, easy to pack things you could do once take possession, cabin air filter & headlight bulbs.

Clean or replace your own cabin filter, improve air flow & save a bundle
A dirty CAF can cause all sorts of issues, it takes less than 15 minutes and a new one is less than $15, and not worth the $70+ most dealers charge for the task of changing it.

Headlight bulbs dim over time and this time of year the days are short and you may find yourself needing to drive at dusk or even night, two bulbs, a lightbulb grease packet and some latex gloves can all be acquired for less than $30 and changed in less than 30 minutes. But it's not a task I'd like to do in the rain or snow or subzero temps of MN in January once home.

Sounds like a great truck and fun trip getting to know your RL.

Best of Luck, and Enjoy the Ride!!!

Post some pics once you get it and even on the trip...

·
Registered
219 Posts
...And FTM is correct, No RL, from '06-'08 came with a factory hitch or wiring harness...
didn't the '07 & '08 RTXs come with the hitch and harness installed? otherwise, yes, it wasn't until '09 that all RLs came with the hitch standard (but only the RTSs & RTLs with the full harness) and the RTX trim was then dropped.

I agree with others on getting the factory tow harness no matter what hitch you get, when the time comes.

ditto the cold weather prep.

extra spare tire (full size) maybe?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
And FTM is correct, No RL, from '06-'08 came with a factory hitch or wiring harness, ...............
Not that it matters a lot, but I believe one of the models (not RTL) came with a hitch or the harness (don't remember which) in those early years. I could be wrong..... there's info on that elsewhere here if you search.

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Sorry, Reinhold & Dnick are correct, the '07-'08, RTX added the Hitch & Harness(4&7pin), but the RTS & RTL didn't get the Hitch & 7 Pin harness until '09

Yea Good thoughts by Northern, that spare is most likely 9+ years old, you may want to look at the Trading Post & maybe get a newer spare or 5th full size rim, which will fit in the donut spare location.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas! I am picking up the truck from a Hyndai dealer, however, there is a Honda dealership just 1.5 miles away. As soon as I check out, I am bringing the truck in for some fluid change regardless; oil, tranny, and transfer case. I will swap out the engine and cabin air filter myself. Hoping all other fluids won't be bad.

I will definitely use up the washer fluid along my way back up north and pick up some windshield fluids that won't freeze. I am sure somewhere along Iowa, there'll have some for me. It's been frigid cold in Minnesota these last couple of days. I'll definitely go with an OEM hitch kit. Can't wait to sign the papers already. :D

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks fellas! I am picking up the truck from a Hyndai dealer, however, there is a Honda dealership just 1.5 miles away. As soon as I check out, I am bringing the truck in for some fluid change regardless; oil, tranny, and transfer case. I will swap out the engine and cabin air filter myself. Hoping all other fluids won't be bad.

I will definitely use up the washer fluid along my way back up north and pick up some windshield fluids that won't freeze. I am sure somewhere along Iowa, there'll have some for me. It's been frigid cold in Minnesota these last couple of days. I'll definitely go with an OEM hitch kit. Can't wait to sign the papers already. :D
Don't forget new wiper blades, if that didn't already get mentioned. And this time of year, it wouldn't hurt to apply some rain-X prior to hitting the road. Works real nice.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,889 Posts
To summarize and clarify:

No hitch came standard for 2006-2008 on any trim except for the 2007-2008 RTX which came with both the hitch and full wiring harness. All 2006-2008 RL trims came with the pre-wiring.

From 2009 and forward, all trims came with the hitch and pre-wiring, but only the RTS and RTL (and variants) came with the additional full wiring harness needed to complete the tow package.

Along with the full fluid change, don't forget the brake fluid flush and change out the power steering fluid. I'd also do the coolant as well. OEM fluids all the way.

While doing the brake fluid, it would be a good time to check the brake pads and slider pins too.

Report back and let us know how your drive home went.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
No hitch came standard for 2006-2008 on any trim except for the 2007-2008 RTX which came with both the hitch and full wiring harness. All 2006-2008 RL trims came with the pre-wiring.
To add to this -- the very very early 2006's had a defect in the hitch wiring where the reverse light wasn't brought back to the 7-pin connector.
Mine had this, but it never affected my use of it.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
22,889 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Speed! After reading some of the troubles with aftermarket trailer harness, I think I'll just cough up the loot and get the OEM one.

It's been frigid cold in Minnesota, makes me want to get a remote starter first thing I bring the truck up north. Does any of you recommend a nice remote starter...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alrighty gang... Got some quotes back from the local Honda Dealership there and I wanted to hear what you guys think of them.

Oil Change $42
Tranny Flush $113
Rear VT-4 $114
Pwr Steering $112
Brake Fluid $115
Spark Plug $279

I am really thinking I might hold off on the Spark Plugs... They've done the oil change for me already, do you guys think it'll be okay running whatever dinosaur oil they used for the 800 miles trip back home? What's must for you gurus...?

·
Super Moderator
22,889 Posts
The dino oil is fine. chisoxjim used it running MM change intervals to get to 380,000 miles before he sold his RL.

Dealer shop prices are always high. If you are DIY inclined, you can do you own work (labor) and buy the fluids by shopping around and probably do it all for under $125 including air and cabin filters, but not spark plugs.

Spark plugs are $10 each on Amazon (OEM plugs). It may take you an hour or so to change them yourself. All those prices are labor heavy dollars.

So choose your poison... pay $$$ up front let someone else do the work... or DIY and save some $$$. If you are comfy DIY, you will only invest the time. Of course if you do it in current MN weather... that's another issue altogether!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Speed, unfortunately I won't have the luxury of having any of my tools with me. I am thinking I top off the fluids till I get home then jump on them. I am thinking I will likely get the VT-4 fluid, tranny and transfer case fluid change. Thoughts...? Or should I look at doing something else first....

·
Super Moderator
22,889 Posts
Without knowing any maintenance history, it's hard to say. If the oil looks clean, the tranny fluid looks and smells ok, and the filters look clean, I'd probably drive it rather than spend the money at the dealer shop. If the power steering isn't howling, I'd let that go too.

Get it home and then DIY. That would be my suggestion if all looks like it's in good shape.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you have evidence of good fluid maintenance & nothing is overdue, I agree with Speed (wait & do it when you get home).

The exception to this would be getting the brakes bled.... I say this because I doubt you'll see evidence that this has been done. So many people NEVER get this done.

...... and no matter what you choose, that PS fluid charge is ridiculous. Are they planning on giving you a new reservoir & hoses for that price? (not)
IF you do have them do the fluids, I'd call them on that & ask them to come down to $50 (at most) and just suck out the old & put in new.
I will allow that if they are planning on doing several drain, drive, and fills to evacuate all old fluid, the it might explain the price. But you really shouldn't need all that for your PS fluid. Check it out.

I think it's already been said, but have them check out the trans cooler fittings (for excessive corrosion & being "secure") at the bottom of the radiator. That's the greatest risk area that you should be particularly cautious of if you're getting the original radiator with that truck. Failure there is potentially catastrophic for your transmission.

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Alrighty gang... Got some quotes back from the local Honda Dealership there and I wanted to hear what you guys think of them.

Oil Change $42 Already Done so Don't worry about it and the Dino!!!
Tranny Flush $113 Most Likely a Drain And Fill 2 Crush Washers and 4qts
Rear VT-4 $114 Most Likely a Drain And Fill 1gal and 2 crush washers
Pwr Steering $112 Maybe 4pts of fluid, method unknown
Brake Fluid $115 Maybe 4pts of fluid, not bad considering the device and that it's basically a two person job. Could be a loss leader to a full brake job
Spark Plug $279 Maybe $10-12 each

I am really thinking I might hold off on the Spark Plugs... They've done the oil change for me already, do you guys think it'll be okay running whatever dinosaur oil they used for the 800 miles trip back home? What's must for you gurus...?
Below is a link to Bernardi Parts, your local dealer may match, mine hasn't but others have had good luck. My quick estimate is Maybe $200 if you DIY the whole lot, and I'd guess you could probably even throw in a few gallons of coolant to start stock pile for your Radiator Change out and not break $250. Some of those jobs are easier than changing the Oil (VTM), Others are more messy (ATF & Coolant), and some are more time consuming (brake) and some are a little of all of the above (PS Fluid) if you do the complete change out. I'd do the smell test, and the visual test and if they look/seem OK, I'd just go for it. There are test strips for Coolant and Brake Fluid, and you can send samples off for the Oils, ATF, VTM and Engine. Personally I change the crush washer's they are cheap, others don't. I do it because I'd rather it "crush" and do it's job than have issues with various aluminum components and aluminum threads striping out. YMMV

Bernardi Parts Prices to DIY once home or later this spring

1 - 20 of 87 Posts