1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
These guys seem to be continually concerned with ground clearance when the vehicle was clearly designed for what 90+% use the truck for. I bet 90% of all trucks sold never see a minute of off-road anything. I will take the more comfortable seating instead of increased ground clearance. And I had a chuckle about the tailgate comment, again, I'll take the dual action gate instead of hydraulic gate.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These guys seem to be continually concerned with ground clearance when the vehicle was clearly designed for what 90+% use the truck for. I bet 90% of all trucks sold never see a minute of off-road anything. I will take the more comfortable seating instead of increased ground clearance. And I had a chuckle about the tailgate comment, again, I'll take the dual action gate instead of hydraulic gate.
Nathan et al from TFL fancy themselves as hard core off roaders I think...I occasionally off road at the cottage and took my Gen 1 RL some places it probably should not have gone...BUT you are correct...Even the G2 will handle terrain most people will never get close to...and if you are a real off roader, you already have a rig to handle it.

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 and they have never done a damped tailgate (which is weird on a $59K list truck) but even this full size tailgate is really not much to handle. The RL tailgate is even lighter and not an issue for 99% of the people that buy one.

The short 5' 7" box on my RAM is really not much bigger in length x width than the G2 either. I'll miss the 20"+ depth when I go to a G2 but otherwise, the bed size on the G2 is awesome.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'm just tired of seeing unrealistic tests and expectations in the truck segment. It's laughable, and Honda figured this out with the G1. Design a truck for what the majority use it for.

Now let's get the quality control up and we're good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Notice they didn't measure headroom and cabin width in the "seat comfort" segment... maybe because the Tacoma quickly fails in that department.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did they misquote the payload capacity of the Ridgeline? They have it at 1499 on the whiteboard. I thought it was 1584, or did they load it up and felt 1499 was the max?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Numbers are numbers. Each of us must ultimately decide what our trucks will be used for. We make those decisions based on manufacturer specs etc. The ground clearance (GC) numbers are a big thing in the truck-world, like MPG numbers are big in the compact car world. TFL measured using a regular tape like any of us would use. Just for comparison's sake, here's the manufacturers' GC:

Honda Ridgeline AWD 7.9"
Chevy Colorado 4x4 8.1"
Nissan Frontier 4x4 8.9"
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 9.4"

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Numbers are numbers. Each of us must ultimately decide what our trucks will be used for. We make those decisions based on manufacturer specs etc. The ground clearance (GC) numbers are a big thing in the truck-world, like MPG numbers are big in the compact car world. TFL measured using a regular tape like any of us would use. Just for comparison's sake, here's the manufacturers' GC:

Honda Ridgeline AWD 7.9"
Chevy Colorado 4x4 8.1"
Nissan Frontier 4x4 8.9?
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 9.4"
I drive a 3/4-ton Ram and a 3/4-ton Chevy at work, both 4x4. Their GC is 7" as measured at the Great Pumpkin. Real trucks don't have much ground clearance! :p

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Did they misquote the payload capacity of the Ridgeline? They have it at 1499 on the whiteboard. I thought it was 1584, or did they load it up and felt 1499 was the max?
The upper trims have lower payload because they have more accessories (like sunroof and power rear window) that add weight and take away from payload. It would be nice if Honda could dial in slightly stiffer springs on upper trims to make up that difference.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I drive a 3/4-ton Ram and a 3/4-ton Chevy at work, both 4x4. Their GC is 7" as measured at the Great Pumpkin. Real trucks don't have much ground clearance! :p
Beg to differ, my International MaxxPro MRAP (14 Ton) that I drove in Afghanistan daily had a GC of 14"..... :laugh:

·
Registered
235 Posts
The upper trims have lower payload because they have more accessories (like sunroof and power rear window) that add weight and take away from payload. It would be nice if Honda could dial in slightly stiffer springs on upper trims to make up that difference.
That makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So if I pack in 5 burly 300lb football players does that mean my payload capacity is now -1 :grin:

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
So if I pack in 5 burly 300lb football players does that mean my payload capacity is now -1 :grin:
Technically, yes, but everyone ignores that. Mfrs typically build in a safety margin, but if something does break, they can deny warranty. Or if you have an accident, lawyers will hold you fully liable.

If you look at payload and tow rating for the Big 3, they are typically higher for 2wd, as 4wd adds more weight. In Honda's case, the AWD is an asset for towing, given the unibody construct and better traction capabilities (vs FWD), and possibly lighter-duty drive axles compared to Big 3 trucks.

Other items on upper trims include power inverter, in-bed exciters, leather interior heavier than cloth, etc.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've spent the last 9 months in the copilots seat of a 16 Tacoma.

After having our Ridgeline for the last 2 weeks I never would have dreamed such an apples to oranges comparison. By the numbers or not, they are really just not comparable.

My biggest complaints on the Tacoma,

Seats,
Seat position,
Transmission and engine revving to the moon,
Rough ride.

Other then that the Tacoma has been a good truck for my carpool buddy.

Oh and it seems the Tacoma gets pretty poor fuel economy with the V6, Then again my buddies driving style doesn't help in that department lol.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The video sure WILL saves me bunch of times wanting to do some measurements myself !!! :grin:

Thanks !

I find it surprising that there's a difference of 12" +/- from the lowest point to the floor of the vehicle...wow !! a foot worth of components ? :nerd: :surprise:

~~~

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Personally I don't let these types of shows make my decision for me. Get the truck that was built for you. In big three's case they build so many variations, trim levels, and powertrains. Honda has basically one to choose from. The only one that matters is the one that spends the money. Who cares what they think mind you they speak the majority of people so these tests are important to them I guess. The rest will take care of itself. The market doesn't lie. It does not matter if they off-road or not, its what the majority wants to see and spend on their trucks. If the truck can tow 10K lbs and they don't tow or only tow 4K lbs its irreverent. They have it they want it and its their money.

Honda beats to their own drum. They represent the other side. Don't need it? no worries we won't build it anyways. Why? because we know you don't use it so there. They only want to basically build the one truck only. Options are not part of the deal so of course Honda will say a marketing statement such as the 90%. It supports their goals. It may be true but it does not matter because majority are still buying the other brands. The neiche is all that they are interested with the Pilot mixed in there to take care of the rest.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Honda Ridgeline AWD 7.9"
Chevy Colorado 4x4 8.1"
Nissan Frontier 4x4 8.9"
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 9.4"
:smile: Whether or not one considers the GC numbers to be important, ... It should be noted that the G2 comes with very low profile tires, and that in itself, determines much of GC. :wink: Simply installing larger tires like the 255/65 R18 can raise the GC by .73" (8.63") ... 265/65 R18 raises GC by approx 1.2" (9.1") :surprise:.... My point being that GC can be viewed as tire dependent rather than truck dependent ..... and there is no "giant pumpkin" with the Ridgelines IDS AWD 0:) ... Just food for thought ... :wink:

·
Registered
296 Posts
It should be noted that the G2 comes with very low profile tires, and that in itself, determines much of GC.
Agree. I am patiently awaiting some feedback from those brave RLII owners here who have/will install: 1. Taller/Beefier tires 2. 2" lift.

With winter closing in, my goal is to get a RLII in AWD and drive it in the snow. Once my obsession with being able to actually get up my snow/ice covered driveway with the i-VTM4 system is viable---I'll be looking at transitioning to a RLII. I am currently secure in making this trip in my Taco 4x4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts