Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just spoke with Andre from TFL Truck. We will be filming my truck on the IKE Gauntlet on Thursday Sept 8th. We will be using a new TFL Trailer with a weight of 4840 lbs. Nathan and Andre will be driving and doing the review. Should be interesting. I will be allowed to put my gopro in the back seat. I will not be able to post video till after they post theirs. I will try to get them to mention the ROC. I will post here after we film on Thursday and let everyone know how it went.

Robert

Here is TFL Video so you dont have to scroll to end of thread.

Here is my amateur video that set up the TFL video (Downhill side)

Here is my amateur video that set up the TFL video (Uphill Side)

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,893 Posts
Do you know if they have reviewed your video?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Just spoke with Andre from TFL Truck. We will be filming my truck on the IKE Gauntlet on Thursday Sept 8th. We will be using a new TFL Trailer with a weight of 4840 lbs. Nathan and Andre will be driving and doing the review. Should be interesting. I will be allowed to put my gopro in the back seat. I will not be able to post video till after they post theirs. I will try to get them to mention the ROC. I will post here after we film on Thursday and let everyone know how it went.

Robert
HA! Awesome! I hope you got them to agree to mention ROC at least 5 times, and 100MPG at least once? :grin:
Did they say how long it will be before it is posted? Make sure you get the stipulation that if they DO NOT post the video they recorded within say, 60 days, that you are allow to post your video and they do not have any editing rights to your video.

· Registered
408 Posts
On a road trip from Texas to Florida (not towing our travel trailer on this particular journey) today, but my attention will be tuned toward your Ike Gauntlet venture. Let us know how it went ASAP. BTW, just curious what kind of releases/indemnifications you had to provide against any consequences to your truck. Thanks again for allowing your truck to show off the Ridgeline's capabilities.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not able to discuss specifics about the IKE Gauntlet Run with the TFL Guys. Heres what I can tell you. I had a great time with Nathan and Andre they where really cool. The video shoot went really well and like you I cant wait till it is posted. They could not say when it would be posted but they will give me a heads up when they know. I think we will see a fair review from them and I think they where definitely impressed. And yes they did mention the ROC on tape whether it makes the cut remains to be seen.

Robert

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,589 Posts
I would love to see yours or another Gen2 participate in TFL's MPG Test with and without a trailer. I think these types of tests are where a lot of people will be very impressed with the new Ridgeline's performance, particularly towing MPG. Would you be willing to loan your Gen2 to FTL for such a test and do you know if TFL would be willing to conduct it?

· Registered
7 Posts
downhill grade logic and ability to hold a gear

Full disclosure I don't own a Ridgeline but I would really like to replace my Lexus GX with one. I am hoping that they add the following items to US Ridgelines that supposedly the Canadian vehicles have:
- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

But here is the real question - The Ridgeline when I looked at it does not appear to have an ability to pick a gear. No paddle shifters, no ability via the shifter, didn't see a sport mode, etc. I like the ability to hold a gear going downhill. How have individuals found the Ridgeline going downhill with a load? I am hoping the grade logic is aggressive. In our Audi's there is excellent grade logic (but these are cars and not towing) and depending on whether you are in sport or normal the aggressively of the system is different. The Lexus has the ability to pick any gear and for me the grade logic doesn't come into play much here.

I think this ability to control the vehicle on the downhill towing is especially important in those steep downhill mountain roads. Without the ability to hold a gear when there is a downhill and then a short level area the short level area will release the lower gear and then when entering the next downhill section there is at a minimum that short time period that the vehicle can seem like a roller coaster depending on the vehicle. Then it is all brakes until the vehicle helps with some engine braking but most of the time I have noticed the engine braking is not that aggressive.

To give a little more detail I am talking about forest service roads that can have greater descents and twisty characteristics with flats and steeps.

How would you feel pulling 5000 pounds downhill? Thanks for the IKE site, it is really informative.

· Administrator
24,840 Posts
Re: downhill grade logic and ability to hold a gear

I am hoping that they add the following items to US Ridgelines that supposedly the Canadian vehicles have:

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
- locking tailgate

But here is the real question - The Ridgeline when I looked at it does not appear to have an ability to pick a gear. No paddle shifters, no ability via the shifter, didn't see a sport mode, etc. I like the ability to hold a gear going downhill.
Don't look for those Canadian-exclusive features anytime soon. The US-spec Ridgeline RTL-E and Black Edition have reverse tilting mirrors. No Ridgeline has a locking tailgate.

The shifter has a D4 button which limits the transmission to 4th gear. It is used for engine braking. It also has an "L" position which limits the transmission to 2nd gear when accelerating from a stop. If you shift into "L" while the vehicle is moving faster than the maximum speed for the current gear, it will downshift to the lowest gear possible based on the speeds below. The "L" position is used for additional engine braking where D4 is insufficient.

Gear - Maximum Speed
1 - 39 MPH
2 - 62 MPH
3 - 88 MPH
4 - 112 MPH
5 - 112 MPH
6 - 112 MPH

The maximum speeds in gears 1-3 are RPM-limited. The maximum speeds in gears 4-6 are governor-limited.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

· Administrator
24,840 Posts
I still can't get over the engine running at WOT for extended periods and it not blowing up, but that's just my perspective from someone who has never towed anything larger than the smallest U-Haul trailer to move a sofa using a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger. :)

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,893 Posts
Great Job Robert...

Nice review from the guys at TFL Truck

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.