Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Too bad Chevy could not even provide a vehicle for this event even though TFL requested one.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder if the transmission overheat was due to a problem with that specific vehicle or with the Ridgeline overall.

In the big picture, as many of said, I wouldn't go with the Ridgeline if I was into heavy-duty offroading or heavyweight towing.
I sure will pick it for the other 80% of us!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sure if their next test is stopping at Starbucks on the way to haul a heavy load of home gardening supplies the right truck will win.

Sorry, just stirring the pot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was hoping for more segments within that 23 minute mashup than just city driving, highway driving, and offroad. They could've done actual mileage calculations, their own 0-60, etc.

I mean I was impressed that Roman really is warming up to the Ridgeline and even voted it, going against the 3x Frontier votes (even though he said 3Nissan 1 Taco at the very end). But I was hoping for more considering their company name is called "The FAST Lane".

The other ones not in or without a low range probably did, too - they just don't have transmission temperature warnings like the Ridgeline has.
Maybe it was just an early warning, but the guys were too scared to break anything and have to pay so they didn't want to push, which is too bad really because it doesn't reflect the real limits of the vehicles they're reviewing if they don't push.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For me, the comments at the end were revealing about the RLII: "It's not off-road worthy." Agree with their opinions regarding the efficacy of the RLII's on-road capabilities, but I need the off-road. Still waiting on some serious winter/snow tests to make up my mind.

·
Registered
388 Posts
For me, the comments at the end were revealing about the RLII: "It's not off-road worthy." Agree with their opinions regarding the efficacy of the RLII's on-road capabilities, but I need the off-road. Still waiting on some serious winter/snow tests to make up my mind.

I'd agree with them. It's fire road, etc. fine but not true hard core off-road worthy and never was meant to be. If that's what you want or need you should get one of the others or wait for the wrangler truck.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Well, I took the kids to Waffle House this morning, stopped off for a spider web sweeper and car wash bucket at Lowe's, then headed to the house to clean my old F-150 out to prep it for its new owner - sweeping the garage for webs, not the old truck.

I can honestly tell you the Honda performed remarkably well with the sunroof open, windows down, and the radio up!

Note: I was on Eco mode the whole time and never drove above 45mph.

Thank goodness my town keeps the roads paved and stripes painted or I may have been forced to take my wife's Odyssey!

·
Registered
431 Posts
So the pilot can make it up their ultimate off road test gold mine hill but for some reason the RL is a terrible completely incapable off road truck? I just don't get these guys they know the capabilities of the pilot but constantly bash the off road worthiness of the RL in every review. I get its not the ultimate off road truck but it is plenty capable, minus the overheating issue which is very concerning since the truck really was not pushed hard.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm kinda curious what mode the AWD system was in or if it would have made a difference. I know the manual says the Mud and Sand modes are primarily for off road use and not normal.

I don't know all the specifics of what changes in each mode though (other than the obvious throttle response).

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
We can be thankful the dash did not light up like a Christmas tree during this mash-up or the whole world would know...:wink:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Disappointing. IMO, that was not heavy-duty off-roading, but it was a challenge for the RL's low ground clearance. However, before calling that a complete "FAIL", I'd give the RL some AT tires and try again. I'm guessing it was excessive wheel spin that overheated the tranny fluid, but I don't know for sure. I'd also like to see a leveled (front-lifted) RL with AT tires take a run at it. This would be a perfect opportunity for the Jsport guys to show us what an RL Chase could do off-road. Are you listening, Adam?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sorry but how can they not bash the RL? An awd car could have made it further. I love my BE but that was disappointing to see.
This is why
https://youtu.be/0mu9Ie5FF1M

Rl has the same aed system as the pilot and it did well in TFLT hardest off road course. The only harder course the have is the same hill with snow. The RL's capabilities were never even put to the test in the video due to the overheating trans. Its not that traction or even ground clearance that was an issue it was a mechanical issues that prevented it from going further or possibly to the top. Clearly embarrassing for Honda but shows a clear flaw in design IMO, no reason at 53 degrees should that trans be overheating.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I really like these kind of tests, favourable or not. Not everything can be red roses guys and some have to keep their chins up and understand that. It really helps people paying good money for these overpriced trucks (all of them) to know positives and negatives of each vehicle. The guys do a great job keeping the bias out of it for the most part. Occasionally you see where their hearts lie. However in regards to the new RL they have praised it much more than I ever thought they would. Even softened the blow with this crash test.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Lame test. How many go off-road? I'm talking truck owners period, compact or full size? It's a low number, very low number. How much of this test was city/highway? It was less than rock crawling. So they spent the majority of time on testing what few do, and not nearly enough testing 90+% of owners will use the damn thing for. How about some twisty road driving? You know cornering through some turns? Let's do some heavy braking too, over a sustained time.

You don't even have to watch it's so predictable and most of us would have said, before watching "Ridgeline and Canyon for paved roads, Frontier and Taco for unpaved."

The truck industry, including journalists, make me laugh. Focused on things most don't even use them for. It's silly. I've got no interest in rock crawling on my free time. I've got bills n chit.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts