Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say thank you to the 10 -12 members on here that freely gave me advice and opinions on building up my RL. You guys are great and help contribute to making this wonderful online community what it is!

I am moving on however. After giving all I had to making the RL into the vision I had in my mind of what it could be, reality set in and I had to face it. I was actually going to just keep her as she was at the time, but then the "creaking cabin noise" began. Those of you who followed that thread know what I was looking at for a "fix". I think when I went and saw the body shop manager and he told me how far they would be stripping the RL down to try to find the broken weld...and him telling me outright that it still may make noise... I finally allowed myself to go ahead and make the decision to let it go.

I traded her in on a 2020 RAM Rebel with all the trimmings offered (except for the 12 inch screen - I think it looks like an abomination... and the eTorque enhanced motor - I DONT want auto start / stop) and the 5.7 Hemi V8. This truck suits ME better and I couldn't be happier.

As many have told me on this forum, the RL "is what it is". What it is, is a wonderful midsize truck that accomplishes everything it was made to accomplish. It just can't accomplish what I would be asking of it no matter how much I modified it.

I'll end this with a photo of the new ride and a BIG "thank you" once again to all on this forum who have so generously given of your knowledge and experience. I will still come back and check in once in awhile and see if I can still help another owner out with my experience. Take care.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
195 Posts
Speaking on the creaking noise, are there any discussions around here about that, I have had a creaking noise on my rear drivers side pillar since about 5k miles that I notice anytime I make a 90° turn at slow speeds like say into a drive way or when I drive the RL onto a job site it will eek and creak as it drive onto and off of the curbs and whatnot. Is this a common issue? Also I like the new ride, Ram has come a long way from the old bare bones work trucks that they used to be. Their interiors rival Ford now IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Congratations @DSN46, that's a great-looking truck! And as I'm sure you are aware, a blank canvas for modifications, which has your name written all over it!

I am jealous of all the mods that can be done to the full-size trucks. I used to mod cars a lot, but i actually did very few mods to the Accord i had for 18 years... probably why it never broke down!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speaking on the creaking noise, are there any discussions around here about that, I have had a creaking noise on my rear drivers side pillar since about 5k miles that I notice anytime I make a 90° turn at slow speeds like say into a drive way or when I drive the RL onto a job site it will eek and creak as it drive onto and off of the curbs and whatnot. Is this a common issue? Also I like the new ride, Ram has come a long way from the old bare bones work trucks that they used to be. Their interiors rival Ford now IMO.
There may be others I'm sure, but here is mine:
Body Creaking Saga

·
Registered
516 Posts
Congratations @HRL383, that's a great-looking truck! And as I'm sure you are aware, a blank canvas for modifications, which has your name written all over it!

I am jealous of all the mods that can be done to the full-size trucks. I used to mod cars a lot, but i actually did very few mods to the Accord i had for 18 years... probably why it never broke down!
Hum......HRL383 here, scratching my head.

That’s one rockin’ Rebel.👍👍.......and that thang gotta HEMI?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Good looking truck! I've thought your posts were interesting and am sorry the RL didn't fulfill your needs. I get it. Welcome back any time.

By the way - some threads don't show up in my visits to ROC, such as your Body Creaking Saga. Thanks for the link. I'll go have a read.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sucks to seeya go but understandable. That's a sharp looking Rebel.

Any chance you've got leftover parts you're wanting to sell?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking truck! I've thought your posts were interesting and am sorry the RL didn't fulfill your needs. I get it. Welcome back any time.

By the way - some threads don't show up in my visits to ROC, such as your Body Creaking Saga. Thanks for the link. I'll go have a read.
Thank you! And you're welcome! :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I understand......and after a good rest you'll feel much better and realize you mispelled "duh". :eek: ;)🤦‍♂️(y)(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I eventually went from a Ram Laramie down to the RL. Just getting older and the RL suited my current needs a little better. That said I consider my RL as being somewhat of a mini-Ram with the nice interior and ride. I imagine you going from a RL to a Ram will have a similar experience and find the Ram very comfortable and towing a breeze. I think you will find the Ram interior may be the nicest you have ever owned. Great choice. I never had my Ram in for warranty work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Best of luck with the new truck. Hopefully it will be exactly what you needed.

Now you just need to practice parking it. I know it's a little bit bigger, but please don't make us ROC forum members look bad by being one of those guys who can't get their truck to land inside the lines. ;-)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats, the new RAMs are great looking trucks. I would seriously consider one if I did any major towing. Now that you have a full size truck please don't start angrily tailgating everyone lol

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,166 Posts
Well let's see, there's @zroger73 leaking Gen II and @DSN46 creaking Gen II. That's a great looking truck and please return and tell us how the Ram turns out, it's nice to hear from someone who can compare them without hurling insults at Ridgeline Owners and their vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
No shame in moving on. That Ram looks pretty good! Let us know how it works out for you. Sorry the RL was a disappointment.

Reactions: DSN46

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just a note on RAM vs Ford...check out a current RAM interior with a new F-150 interior back to back and it will show there is no longer any comparison. RAM has jumped so far ahead in interior quality to Ford and GM it is no longer close. This applies to any trim level. After my G1 and prior to my two G2s I owned a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi and a 2015 EcoDiesel. These were the RAMs before the latest update and even then, the interiors were superior to current Ford and GM. I'd say the EcoD Laramie interior had better fit and finish than both my RTL-Es.

I was always a RL fan and gave the two RAMs a try between the G1 and G2. I had no issues but really only about 45,000 miles combined on both RAMs. I just didn't need the size and the biggest load I towed was right at 5k lbs. Never had issues with either RL (or RAM, of course) towing this load. I actually much prefer the ergonomics and features of FCA over Honda and if the Dakota becomes reality, it may be my next truck.

I'd agree that Honda quality is lacking lately. It is no better than anyone else at this point. So features and functionality are my keys and thus where the G2 wins. Lately I've really been using my G2 as a work truck (building a big deck with 13 concrete footers) and in real world loads of 1,000-1,200 lbs, it is honestly no different than when I did these tasks with my RAMs. Overall, the G2 bed is MORE real world usable than a short bed in a half ton, so hopefully my 2020 can be my truck for the next 6-8 years (2017 was traded mostly due to lacking confidence in the 6 speed after several 3x flushes, the software flash and a 2nd-3rd gear pressure switch). Hoping the ZF9 solves the long term issues.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Just a note on RAM vs Ford...check out a current RAM interior with a new F-150 interior back to back and it will show there is no longer any comparison. RAM has jumped so far ahead in interior quality to Ford and GM it is no longer close. This applies to any trim level. After my G1 and prior to my two G2s I owned a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi and a 2015 EcoDiesel. These were the RAMs before the latest update and even then, the interiors were superior to current Ford and GM. I'd say the EcoD Laramie interior had better fit and finish than both my RTL-Es.

I was always a RL fan and gave the two RAMs a try between the G1 and G2. I had no issues but really only about 45,000 miles combined on both RAMs. I just didn't need the size and the biggest load I towed was right at 5k lbs. Never had issues with either RL (or RAM, of course) towing this load. I actually much prefer the ergonomics and features of FCA over Honda and if the Dakota becomes reality, it may be my next truck.

I'd agree that Honda quality is lacking lately. It is no better than anyone else at this point. So features and functionality are my keys and thus where the G2 wins. Lately I've really been using my G2 as a work truck (building a big deck with 13 concrete footers) and in real world loads of 1,000-1,200 lbs, it is honestly no different than when I did these tasks with my RAMs. Overall, the G2 bed is MORE real world usable than a short bed in a half ton, so hopefully my 2020 can be my truck for the next 6-8 years (2017 was traded mostly due to lacking confidence in the 6 speed after several 3x flushes, the software flash and a 2nd-3rd gear pressure switch). Hoping the ZF9 solves the long term issues.
I would consider the Dakota, too, if it is of similar or better quality compared to the new Rams, is SMALLER than the G2, and has ride/handling similar/better than the G2.

Ideally, I would like to see a unibody Dakota with the same powertrain options as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, perhaps something built off of an updated Durango platform. Add options for the Hemi V8 and/or the EcoDiesel, with IFS/IRS, and that could be a SWEET package.

Heck, they could give us a BoF Dakota and a unibody Ram 1000 that looks the same, and see what sells better! I would actually prefer that Toyota would do this, i.e., offer a smaller unibody truck in addition to their stalwart Tacoma.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sucks to seeya go but understandable. That's a sharp looking Rebel.

Any chance you've got leftover parts you're wanting to sell?
Thanks. I DO have my front skid plate with my own custom openings for oil, transmission and transfer case fluid changes and the bolt on covers I made for them. Also got a set of 265/60-18 Continental Terrain Contacts up for sale in the Selling Section of the forums. They are pretty much brand new. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts