Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a note on RAM vs Ford...check out a current RAM interior with a new F-150 interior back to back and it will show there is no longer any comparison. RAM has jumped so far ahead in interior quality to Ford and GM it is no longer close. This applies to any trim level. After my G1 and prior to my two G2s I owned a 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi and a 2015 EcoDiesel. These were the RAMs before the latest update and even then, the interiors were superior to current Ford and GM. I'd say the EcoD Laramie interior had better fit and finish than both my RTL-Es.
So it's been a few years since I've been in a RAM truck. The last time I was in one, it was quite nice, comparable to my Ridgeline I would say. The only problem I had with it was the giant logos on things. I felt like I was in a rolling advertisement or something. I would probably have avoided buying such a vehicle just for that alone. Are they still like that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited by Moderator)
Best of luck with the new truck. Hopefully it will be exactly what you needed.

Now you just need to practice parking it. I know it's a little bit bigger, but please don't make us ROC forum members look bad by being one of those guys who can't get their truck to land inside the lines. ;-)
Ha! I drove an F250 and then a Ford Excursion.... Old DSN46 can handle a half ton truck. :)

Well let's see, there's @zroger73 leaking Gen II and @DSN46 creaking Gen II. That's a great looking truck and please return and tell us how the Ram turns out, it's nice to hear from someone who can compare them without hurling insults at Ridgeline Owners and their vehicles.
Thanks Carsmak. Give me a couple of weeks of driving the new truck around and I will definitely come back and give a comparison... and will NOT trash the RL... like I said above, I was ready to keep her!

·
Registered
974 Posts
So it's been a few years since I've been in a RAM truck. The last time I was in one, it was quite nice, comparable to my Ridgeline I would say. The only problem I had with it was the giant logos on things. I felt like I was in a rolling advertisement or something. I would probably have avoided buying such a vehicle just for that alone. Are they still like that?
I'd say a little more subdued but in the half ton world, brand and brand loyalty is everything, so I doubt the fan boyz mind the logos. At least the RAM head is cool and has real brand identification.

I liked the RAM EcoDiesel forum. It was great. Not as good as ROC of course (nothing is) but really helpful.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,198 Posts
This might be busting your chops a bit but I gotta ask . . .
What does the door sticker say the payload capacity is of your Ram Rebel? I hear plenty of stories of ridiculously low payload capacities depending on how the vehicles are equipped.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
Congrats on the a Ram. I’ve had three over the years: 2002, 2015 and 2017. The last being a Laramie 4x4. Great truck, but once I sold the Mini, I wanted something a little smaller as my daily. It will serve you well. UConnect is the best and that ZF 8 speed is butter. Hope you got the 3.92. It’s fun!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
This might be busting your chops a bit but I gotta ask . . .
What does the door sticker say the payload capacity is of your Ram Rebel? I hear plenty of stories of ridiculously low payload capacities depending on how the vehicles are equipped.
You are correct on the payloads for the Off-road versions of these things! As mine is equipped, my payload is 1840 lbs. I know a guy who used to be an engineer for Ford (but he knows a lot about the entire industry of course) and he told me that if I'm going to go with progressive-coil springs and off road Bilstein shocks... then I'm going to lose a good chunk of payload ability. Turns out he was right. But... I'm okay with it as, according to RAM's towing charts, I can tow up to 11,300 lbs (I would NEVER put that kind of weight behind a 1500 truck, but I have friends in the construction business who do it all the time with skid loaders and what-not) with a max tongue weight of 1100 lbs. (I don't believe that one either). I won't tow over 8000 lbs ever anyway, so I'm good with it. :)

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Congrats on the a Ram. I’ve had three over the years: 2002, 2015 and 2017. The last being a Laramie 4x4. Great truck, but once I sold the Mini, I wanted something a little smaller as my daily. It will serve you well. UConnect is the best and that ZF 8 speed is butter. Hope you got the 3.92. It’s fun!
Thank you! Yes... I got the 3.92 rear end.. and she will push you back into your seat nicely... but she likes to drink the gas with that setup. I agree about the UConnect! It is so fast and responsive and intuitive to use. :)

Reactions: ToyTruck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Two Weeks of Rebel Ownership Thoughts:
I'll break it down into parts so I can keep my thoughts straight.

INTERIOR: Wonderful, period. It is so quiet and everything is buttoned down tight... no rattles at all. (Just to note, I had rattles that had to be dealt with the first day of ownership in my RL) Soft touch leather surfaces everywhere. All knobs and buttons are ergonomically well placed. All tiny lettering is backlit with LED lighting. Foot-well lighting and great center console lighting. There is so much room to spread out. Driver's seat is very comfortable... it has that "8 hours in the saddle no problem" quality. Backseat area is huge (good for the three of our four kids that will still be traveling with us) Plenty of cup holders, power ports, etc. The UConnect system is by far the best interface for a touch screen I've seen. It is fast and responsive. The back-up camera is the most crystal clear picture I've seen yet and it has the 'hitch view" for trailering. The dashboard layout is awesome. RAM allows you to turn off a bunch of "junk" also through the UConnect system... seat belt chiming, door bonging, daytime running lights, back up auto braking safeties, etc. I like this.

EXTERIOR: Not much to say except that I like the stance and how it looks overall. Good ground clearance.

POWERTRAIN: 395 horses mated to a butter smooth 8 speed transmission... it just "works", and it is good. No complaints with shift patterns or any of the early-on problems RAM was having.. they've finally gotten the right programming figured out. 3.92 gearing puts you back in your seat nicely and you can feel the power "at-the-ready" under your foot.. no hesitation, it just moves with barely any pedal input. Even on the 100 deg days the transmission stays in the 180's. Rear electronic locking differential and a low gear ratio lets this thing just crawl through, up and over everything I will ever throw at it. Suffice it so say RAM has the power train figured out.

SATISFACTION: Overall I'm very satisfied with my choice. I don't think at this time, with these current market choices I could have done any better in a half ton truck.

CONS: Fuel economy - there is none. I'm averaging 14 mpg around town and 16 or 17 highway. I'm told that MPG will increase on these Hemi's once about 4 - 5K miles are put on them. We shall see. No in-bed trunk! I MISS that about my RL for sure.

FINAL THOUGHTS: It may seem like I'm gushing about the Rebel.. I'm not. I'm pretty objective when it comes to worldly possessions. RAM just did it right this time, that's all there is to it. Do I miss my RL? I miss aspects of it for sure, but I couldn't go back to one. I understand that I can't compare a full size truck to the RL in a lot of ways... it's not fair of course. I think that a full size truck is what I was needing in the first place, but that in NO WAY detracts from the fact that the RL does everything it claims it can do and does it in very good style. I think it does just about everything better than the other mid-size trucks on the market (Colorado, Ranger). I cannot say anything bad about the RL as a whole, I can only say bad things about the one that I took home and its individual problems.

So there it is. Maybe if someone else is thinking about a full sized truck this can help them decide. Again, thank you to all whoever helped me on this forum!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Glad you’re enjoying it! My 2017 Laramie was a nice ride; my only complaint was the size when parking. On the road that size became a wonderful asset. In a world with a galaxy of choices, one must purchase what they need. Sounds like you got just the right one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Glad you’re enjoying it! My 2017 Laramie was a nice ride; my only complaint was the size when parking. On the road that size became a wonderful asset. In a world with a galaxy of choices, one must purchase what they need. Sounds like you got just the right one.
Those Laramie's can be like a Cadillac inside for sure!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would consider the Dakota, too, if it is of similar or better quality compared to the new Rams, is SMALLER than the G2, and has ride/handling similar/better than the G2...I would actually prefer that Toyota would do this, i.e., offer a smaller unibody truck in addition to their stalwart Tacoma.
Kinda doubt that any new Dakota would be smaller than the G2 because I think they'd be targeting the midsize PU market. IMO, a new Dakota would also need tech like i-VTM4, torque vectoring and IRS to rival the RL's ride/handling. I can see Toyota offering a hybrid compact truck smaller than the Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Kinda doubt that any new Dakota would be smaller than the G2 because I think they'd be targeting the midsize PU market. IMO, a new Dakota would also need tech like i-VTM4, torque vectoring and IRS to rival the RL's ride/handling. I can see Toyota offering a hybrid compact truck smaller than the Tacoma.
Agreed it will be a tall order to match the G2 for ride and handling, but if they can base a Dakota-style truck off of the Durango or Grand Cherokee, the ride would be relatively nice and towing should be around 6500 despite a unibody frame. The best part is that it would have the ZF8 trans, and the Pentastar V6 would be a good base engine. You'd have more/better options and aftermarket support for a lift kit compared to G2, also, just based on sheer numbers.

Folks who want BoF Ram have the Classic to meet the mid-size price point, if not size.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Agreed it will be a tall order to match the G2 for ride and handling, but if they can base a Dakota-style truck off of the Durango or Grand Cherokee, the ride would be relatively nice and towing should be around 6500 despite a unibody frame. The best part is that it would have the ZF8 trans, and the Pentastar V6 would be a good base engine. You'd have more/better options and aftermarket support for a lift kit compared to G2, also, just based on sheer numbers.
Folks who want BoF Ram have the Classic to meet the mid-size price point, if not size.
If they came out with a new reissue of the Dakota I'd be interested. Especially if they matched the width and cabin size of the RL. Coil springs, V-6, 8 speed (which incidentally Chrysler builds, not ZF. ZF builds the 8 speed for the Hemi) UConnect, and a possible Hemi option and I'd do it in a New York Minute. Give them 2 years to work the bugs out and I'm there. My Honda warranty should.d be expiring right about then.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I don't get the praise for the RL ride. It bounces all over the place and doesn't feel planted on the highway at slighest wavy section on the interstates. Doesn't say much for the other truck if this is as good as it gets. Traction and handling, I get it, it's very good. I keep the tires at around 37 cold but unlaiden, at times the truck just doesn't feel planted.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I don't get the praise for the RL ride. It bounces all over the place and doesn't feel planted on the highway at slighest wavy section on the interstates. Doesn't say much for the other truck if this is as good as it gets. Traction and handling, I get it, it's very good. I keep the tires at around 37 cold but unlaiden, at times the truck just doesn't feel planted.
Well, it's not gonna feel planted like your Accord, but it's much better than the other trucks.

My '19 RTL does ride better than my wife's Accord going over bumps, etc., but her struts and suspension components may be a bit worn after twelve years and 150k miles. 35psi in both vehicles. Her car handles much better.

The G2 does pitch and bounce more than her Accord, but it's also a half-ton heavier. But the bumps and potholes are smoother in the truck. I go over those same bumps with a full-size truck from work and you can feel your kidneys shaking....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I ditched my Firestone LE's and the bounce vanished. Don't know what you're running, but tires could be part of the problem. These do ride great......my Ram 1500 did as well, just more "truck like".

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Well, it's not gonna feel planted like your Accord, but it's much better than the other trucks.

My '19 RTL does ride better than my wife's Accord going over bumps, etc., but her struts and suspension components may be a bit worn after twelve years and 150k miles. 35psi in both vehicles. Her car handles much better.

The G2 does pitch and bounce more than her Accord, but it's also a half-ton heavier. But the bumps and potholes are smoother in the truck. I go over those same bumps with a full-size truck from work and you can feel your kidneys shaking....
I had an issue with a CRV, felt like the rear was going to step out unless a bump was hit directly. Tire pressue solved the issue. I love that damn Accord will be sorry to pass it on next year. (wife tells me daughter #1 gets Accord, daughter#2 gets her CRV. I use the truck and she gets something else. which is fair but never going to happen). Daughter #1 has basically taken ownership of the Accord during Covid time at home she loves it too. Agree with everything you say, even on a windy country road the RL feels planted for the most part.
I ditched my Firestone LE's and the bounce vanished. Don't know what you're running, but tires could be part of the problem. These do ride great......my Ram 1500 did as well, just more "truck like".
What tire did you end up running? I remember mentioning the same results with Yokohama snows as well. Feels like it's going to lift off and leave the road on some wavy (not bumpy) sections. I know the RL can't be everything so I try to keep it's use local. hence my 22k miles in almost 4 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I first drove a 2019 Sport at the dealer and it rode real nice. It did not have the Firestone LE2s, I can't remember what it had. I wound up buying a low mileage used 2017 RTL-E with factory Firestone Destination LE2's and it did not feel right compared to the new one I drove. I just put a set of Continental TerrainContact AT tires on and it made a world of difference. It is quieter, smoother, and feels more in control compared to the Firestones. It drives like the new model I tested. I had the same Firestone LE2s on our older Highlander and they were great. I don't get it. Check threads here and tires dealers for feedback when it comes time to buy new tires.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
...........What tire did you end up running? I remember mentioning the same results with Yokohama snows as well. Feels like it's going to lift off and leave the road on some wavy (not bumpy) sections. I know the RL can't be everything so I try to keep it's use local. hence my 22k miles in almost 4 years.
I went with a somewhat stiffer mid-line tire in 265/60/18. Hankook Pathfinder. It is 3% larger and the change has been quite noticeable. Smoother, quieter over imperfections in the road, and better handling. I attribute that largely to the tire's bigger footprint, which is 10.4" instead of 9.6". Now if only I could get some FOX shocks, lol.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts