Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RTL w/moonroof, just shy of 1,500 miles that I want to sell.

Catch??? It has some small hail damage. Anyone who reads this forum on a regular basis knows that I went from Taos, New Mexico, to Dallas, Texas and bought a brand spanking new RTL w/moonroof - purchase date 9 June.

We drove back last Saturday (June 11) and hit a hail storm in Amarillo. It lasted about 5 minutes and did a decent job on the drivers side (nothing on the tailgate or passenger side) and nothing on the plastic panels around the front wheel well to the bumper nor the plastic panel behind the rear tire. It got the roof, hood, rear quarter on the left (drivers side) doors and front fender. There are no big dents just many little ones. There is NO cracked or chipped paint - there was NO damage to any of the glass, front, back side or moonroof. The roof you cannot see very well until you stand inside the bed. You can then see quite a few very, very small dents.You don't even notice the hood with the exception of one dent (it is small but you can see it). The rear quarter panel is the most prevalent - there are many small dents. There are no big or major dents, just many very small ones. The rear door and driver door you don't notice hardly at all.

If I can sell this one I intend to buy another just like it. Am I anal about this - damned right. Does my wife think I am nuts - damned right. Do I think I'm nuts - NO!!!. Will I lose some money - yes but I jumped through hoops to get this truck and I want one that does NOT have hail dents and has not been repainted. The insurance company said they can do miracles these days - ya right. Maybe they can and maybe they can't but I don't want to find out. I know they can't around here - maybe Denver, Salt Lake or the West Coast but certainly not here!

I am 57 and I believe this will be the last new vehicle I ever purchase. I scraped together $9,000 for a down payment and now have a payment I can handle. The truck is absolutely amazing and I love it but I don't want to take the insurance money and have it repainted. I want a new truck and my insurance company obviously will not buy me one. So.... if you can live with some small but many dents, OR if you can repair it and repaint it OR you have a friend who can do it or owns a body and paint shop OR you will use this vehicle for work (tradesman of some kind for instance) where the truck maybe dusty a lot, this truck may be your truck.

I will email photos to anyone who is interested. Is it really bad? Probably not. My wife said just live with it and have it repainted. One friend said I was headed for the looney bin and that's life - just have it repainted and live with it. I don't want to just live with it!!!!!

2006 Amazon Green RTL w/moonroof (with XM obviously)
VIN - 2HJYK16556H518448 - NO WIND NOISE, NO LEAKS (RAINED LIKE CRAZY AFTER THE HAIL - WENT THROUGH THE "CHECK LIST"
Options - owner installed rear mud flaps NOTHING ELSE.
Modifications - all badging removed from tailgate (ABSOLUTELY NO SCRATCHES, NICKS OR ANYTHING ELSE - YOU CANNOT TELL THERE WAS EVERY ANY BADGING ON THE TAILGATE), truck was waxed and all windows RainX'd - nothing else - done before I left the Dallas area
Mileage - Just shy of 1,500 highway miles Dallas to Taos, Taos to Albuquerque and back and Taos to Santa Fe and back
MSRP - $ 33,155.00
PAID DEALER - $30,376.00
ASKING PRICE - FIRM - $ 26,750.00

You get the deal I made ($ 500 over factory invoice - saved $ 2,779 off MSRP)
+
You save another $3,626 (for hail damage)
+
You get free installed rear Honda mudflaps
+
If you want to fly into Albuquerque I will drive the truck to the airport for you to see and inspect with NO obligation to buy. IF you buy the truck I will give you UP TO $ 250 toward your airline ticket and up to $75 for a night in the hotel. OBVIOUSLY, THE TRUCK WILL HAVE ANOTHER 150 MILES ON IT.

The truck has not yet been registered. I am not sure, but it may be possible for the dealer to make out a new bill of sale in your name. This truck is financed with my credit union and they will have to have a cashiers check on a MAJOR bank FedEx'd to them to pay off the truck.

NOTE!!! NO SALES TAX HAS BEEN PAID ON THIS TRUCK AS I WAS GOING TO PAY THAT TO NEW MEXICO WHEN I REGISTER THE VEHICLE. YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO PAY SALES TAX TO YOUR HOME STATE. IF YOUR STATE HAS NONE THEN NONE IS DUE.

Lest you think you might be able to con another insurance company to make the repairs, I strongly caution against such. My insurance company is a major company and my agent told me that this truck will go into the national database showing that hail damage had been done to this vehicle and that a settlement had been made.

I have lived in Taos 16 years and own my own small business.

If you think you might be interested, email me privately or call me at 505.770.1484.

IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED BUT WANT A GREAT DEAL ON A NEW RL, BANKSTON HONDA IN LEWISVILLE, TEXAS IS WHERE I PURCHASED MINE. EMAIL ME PRIVATELY AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE NAME OF THE SALES MAN. IT IS A MAJOR BIG HONDA DEALER WITH A LARGE SPOTLESS SHOWROOM AND SPOTLESS SHOP. VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE AND VERY GOOD TO DEAL WITH. THEY HAD 14 OR 15 HONDA MODELS ON THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR AND I THINK 12 OR 13 RL'S IN STOCK. They had a beautiful black beauty on the floor all decked out with the stainless trim around the dash, cool chrome wheels, third party step rails, Honda fogs plus after market ones, all the chrome on the bumpers, etc, etc. Sure was pretty (-:

Let me know as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Believe it or not something very similar happened to me in 1980. I had just purchased a new Chrysler LeBaron (I was working for Chrysler at the time). The car was less than one week old and was DESTROYED by hail. All windows were broken, dash torn up, seats ripped, mirrors gone.

My insurance company gave me a figure and I told them that I would not repair the car. I explained that I just want another new one just like it. I took my car to the dealer and asked what the difference would be for a trade. They gave me a number (don't remember any details). I called the insurance adjuster and told him that they either give me that amount, find me another new car as a replacement at no cost to me, or I'll just turn it over to my attorney.

After about two hours of arguement they called the dealer and I had a new car.

You should consider this route as you will never find a private party willing to pay what the vehicle is really worth. It's the job of your insurance company to make it right... it's your job to make them make it right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, to reply about taking off the badging.

It was crazy. I bought some fishing line and had alcohol, wax, etc to go to work.

I bought this truck in Dallas and it was 97 degrees. Long story short, I just pulled them off - very carefully - but just pulled them off. The one that came off the hardest was the AWD one. The HONDA and RIDGELINE came off very very easily. A very small amount of the double sided tape remained but it just balled up and came off. There was no residue at all. I started on one end of the HONDA and just pulled at a slight downward angle and the H came up - then I just continued to pull at an angle and the rest of the letters came off with all of them still attached to each other.

In answer to the insurance problem. They absolutely will not total the truck but I hadn't thought about trading it back. I got it at $500 over so any dealer will probably want MSRP on a trade and I'm not getting that much from the insurance company.

I just got done washing it a few minutes ago and have to admit that it is not that bad so if I don't find someone (most likely on this site) that wants to buy it I will probably keep it with the hail as a "badge of honor" and use the insurance money to make additional payments.

Anyway, if someone is interested, I think it is a hellofa deal :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you considered Dent Doctor? I had 6 small (hail-sized) dents that they were able to remove very effectively and inexpensively. They WILL NOT do any repairs thyat involve broken paint, so this sounds like an ideal possibility for you. And, they guarantee your satisfaction or you don't have to pay. There are 3 in Texas. I don't work for them or anything like that, I just was REALLY happy with the work they did on my truck.

http://dentdoctorusa.com/

-Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts