Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: disregard the info below about paintscratch. ChipMender is by far the superior product:
http://www.chipmender.com/

I think this place (paintscratch) has the best product. They mix the paint not only based on the color code but the factory code too to ensure the best color match for your VIN. They also sell a clear coat pen and a bunch of other good stuff. I bought just the 1/2 oz. basecoat & clearcoat pens for $21.
https://www.paintscratch.com
Note: if you buy, enter the Factory Code number when prompted and you can find it on the door jam on the paint code sticker. The factory code will be the last digit. In my case it was a 4 coming from this code: B-533M-4 for steel blue

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Bummer, they don't seem to offer the Amazon Green as a choice.

·
2,346 Posts
Thanks. I filled out the form. Hopefully I will hear back in the next few days.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Vertrkr, thanks once again for providing incredibly helpful and useful info.at times I am not sure what I would do without your detective work and perspective.
thanks jules

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JulesK said:
Vertrkr, thanks once again for providing incredibly helpful and useful info.at times I am not sure what I would do without your detective work and perspective.
thanks jules
My pleasure Jules, we're all here to learn, help or both. Just happy to be a part of it anyway I can.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have never tried a pen for touching up paint chips. I have used the bottle of touchup paint from the dealer and have had fair results at best. It is probably my lack of the proper technique that produces the marginal results. I need to touch up my wifes green Accord before I do the whole clay then Pinacle over Klasse wax and detail job next week. For those that have used both the pen and the bottle, which do you prefer? Suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've just used the Honda touch-up paint for a paint chip on the rear bumper of my Amazon Green. I found it a little darker than the original paint. The ding seems more visible now than before the touch-up :( . Oh well...At least it seals it against further paint damage. As far as looks goes, it's minor. You have to look close to really notice and, after all, it is a truck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Excellent!
After looking at all the "blobs" from the dealer touching up
my wifes car, I was in the market for this.
Thanks vertrkr. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't order from PaintScratch. ChipMender is by far the superior product.

I ordered both of them and tried them both. There's no question ChipMender has a better match and a much better pen dispenser. I can't believe I fell for paintscratch's marketing info, their product is crap in my opinion. ChipMender has a great product and is much easier to use and a near perfect paint match.

http://www.chipmender.com/

Sorry to all for jumping the gun and recommending paintscratch before I tried it, lesson learned.

·
2,346 Posts
Same here. Thanks vertrkr.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Never got a confirmation email but my pen just arrived in my mailbox. :D Nest scheduled arrival, bedmat. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wanted to say I ordered my Vertrkr recommended cargo net and chip mender paint pen both from handa accessories. I bought a cargo net once upon a time and hated it, it was forever tangled up, so I gave it a flying lesson :mad: Thanks Vertrkr for doing all this homework for us :)

·
2,346 Posts
Got my ChipMender pens today. One of the Ridgeline and one for the Ody.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I thought I would bring an old post back to life as I took a rock on the nose the other day leaving a chip. :mad:

I was going to order from H and A but they were charging $5.95 for shipping on a $6.95 product. Ended up ordering from Chip-Mender directly for $9.95.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to have a small scratch touched up at the dealership when I have my oil changed? Or do they even do that? Someone pushed a shopping cart into the back bumper of my truck left two scratches about 3 inches long.:mad:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
ukridge said:
I wonder how much it would cost to have a small scratch touched up at the dealership when I have my oil changed? Or do they even do that? Someone pushed a shopping cart into the back bumper of my truck left two scratches about 3 inches long.:mad:
My SD sends all body work to their body shop (surprise). I used the Chipmender on my hood and tailgate. I have a couple small scratches that I am going to leave for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts