Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up in the next year or so doing my timing belt on my 07 RL. Only 81k, but in the planning stages more for time than mileage as I've adopted an 03 CRV as my daily driver. I've been researching timing belt kits to include tensioners, water pumps etc. And adding in new spark plugs as well.

Lots of kits out there as other threads have discussed, I'll prefer to go with Honda OEM or the best recommended kit by RL members, but my question is how your local Honda Dealership reacts when you want them to use the parts you've brought in for maintenance. Are they receptive? Do they say "no way" etc. I don't know that I trust an "independent" place to do this. Anyone have experiences having Honda use your parts?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
They are very unlikely to use your parts, as they can't warranty them and they don't want to deal with an angry customer 11 months down the road.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Agreed. The dealer is not going to use your parts. I doubt they would even use OEM parts if you brought them in. They just cant know the origin of the parts, and in addition, you would be cutting out a significant portion of their profit margin. Occasionally it is best to just pay the dealer and move on.

Most indie shops will not use customer parts either, unless you are willing to sign a service order that says "NO WARRANTY ON CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS" which in effect means no warranty on anything at all.

I think if you can find a reputable shop that specializes in Honda, they would be just as reliable as the dealer, maybe moreso. Let them buy the parts because you want them to provide you a warranty if you have to bring it back. Some of the indie shops are actually better than the dealer because they have no high paid service manager breathing down the technician's neck to turn jobs. Usually the service manager at an indie shop is the one doing your job. Or his brother.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I was going to say same thing dealer warranty on parts and labor 12 months or 12,000 miles. It could be a tricky situation if something goes wrong they could say your part failed even if it's Honda.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
When having my dealer do an oil change several years ago I brought an aftermarket cabin filter I thought I'd have them do while they were at it and they said they'd have to charge me extra to do that because it wasn't OEM. I can understand the other stuff, but fail to see why that was an issue. I figure I would use the OEM stuff for the timing belt/water pump change when it's time anyway (you can try H and A for a better price I'm sure), though I would rather use some different spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The last two timing belt kits I bought came from HandA-Accessories.com. My local Honda dealer had no problem putting the kits on as long as all the parts where Honda OEM. They just charged me the shop labor rate to have the work completed.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
On the couple rare occasions I've ever been in this situation, the shop has had no problem using my parts so long as they still had the factory packaging/seals in place.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,601 Posts
Well I look at it this way. Would you bring your sandwich to a restaurant to eat at their seatings? For me same goes for parts, I would not bring my parts at a dealer for installation. Buddy of mine owns a good reputable service station and he gets warranty waivers signed and tells them up front that it's $10 per hour labor above their regular rate. I I don't blame him, but that's me. To each his own.

J

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Yes, if you bring Honda parts they will generally accept it especially for routine maintenance. At least that was my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
If it was me, I think your dealer would me more likely to match the online dealer parts price, if you brought it to the service writers attention on the front side.

I would get a fully written quote for the parts and labor up front, then go shop the OEM parts from HandA, Bernardi, Curry and such then return with your price list including Shipping & Handling. Developing a good relationship with the service writer and/or service manager is Key.

Now my recent experience is questionable at best on this. I had my timing belt done this past June, 2015 or 123 months from Manufacture Date. I had low mileage, about 79-80k from what I remember. I had just changed the radiator out and had about 1.5 (a full bottle and a 1/2 of Type 2 Coolant). They matched all the online prices with the S&H, for the parts and didn't charge me for any coolant for the job. But, amazingly the job needed to "expand" to include some 'seals' and 'labor' which brought the job back up to within the original price by $30 (lower) and $70 (lower) than the independent shop's initial quote. Interesting???

YMMV

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I concur with all that's been said. I just thought them being that way over a non-OEM cabin filter was a bit much though, but I suppose if they make an exception for something that small/simple they might for the bigger stuff. I bought my accessories last time through H and A and my dealer had no issue with it.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Now my recent experience is questionable at best on this. I had my timing belt done this past June, 2015 or 123 months from Manufacture Date. I had low mileage, about 79-80k from what I remember. I had just changed the radiator out and had about 1.5 (a full bottle and a 1/2 of Type 2 Coolant). They matched all the online prices with the S&H, for the parts and didn't charge me for any coolant for the job. But, amazingly the job needed to "expand" to include some 'seals' and 'labor' which brought the job back up to within the original price by $30 (lower) and $70 (lower) than the independent shop's initial quote. Interesting???

YMMV
Wow, several factors to consider. How much they make or save on individual parts (including fluid). The indie's price was higher in the end, but it was only a quote, so you will never know what it might have been in the end.
I usually get work down at an independent, and the price at the end is usually always lower than the initial quote, along with the added, "well, since we were there we tightened this up anyway, and did not charge you for ..blah blah"
But any way you twist it, you ended up getting a good & fair deal and that's what counts.

Fortunately when I have had to use my local Honda dealer, I never felt ripped off, and they are always clear on the charges. Not to say I still can't beat them elsewhere most of the time, but the difference is nowhere near the price of a dinner at Ruth Chris or Peter Luger, lol.

I can't imagine a Honda dealer over-charging. Big part of what sells Hondas is the concept of 'cheap to keep'.

But it happens. About as often as a BMW, Infiiniti or Jaguar dealer giving you a break.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As the OP, thanks for the posts on this. I'd be looking at a Honda OEM parts kit and agree that a Honda dealership has no responsibility in guaranteeing non-OEM parts. Guess this is where an estimate is done with the dealership and negotiation regarding who buys/supplies parts, and the assurance that they are Honda, or Honda approved parts.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know there have been a few threads about changing out OEM radiator as a preemptive maintenance item. Who's done the radiator change out along with the timing belt/water pump? And did you go with an OEM radiator?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had a dealer install accessories from H and A as well. As for the timing belt, I doubt they would do that. If they tell you no, search other local Honda dealer's websites for service coupons which is what I did for my 2006 Ridge. Most dealers will accept another dealer's coupon and the timing belt replacement is one that is run quite often.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Wow, several factors to consider. How much they make or save on individual parts (including fluid). The indie's price was higher in the end, but it was only a quote, so you will never know what it might have been in the end.

I usually get work down at an independent, and the price at the end is usually always lower than the initial quote, along with the added, "well, since we were there we tightened this up anyway, and did not charge you for ..blah blah"
But any way you twist it, you ended up getting a good & fair deal and that's what counts.

I can't imagine a Honda dealer over-charging. Big part of what sells Hondas is the concept of 'cheap to keep'.

But it happens. About as often as a BMW, Infiiniti or Jaguar dealer giving you a break.
Must be a Fresno thing, I've never, and I mean NEVER, had any mechanic, Dealer, or Independent, "do anything while they were in there" nor have I ever had a price "go down" from the original quote, guess they just see me coming.

Now to the OP -Wren, in several of the SMOD &/or timing belt threads, different users have posted using other than the DENSO Rad, I do think anything is possible, but negotiate and get it in writing, before hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts