Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess one good thing about waiting three months for the truck to get built was time to figure out how to best rig the rear cab for the dogs. We didn’t want to build a platform, needed to secure the energetic cattle dog, and still wanted to be able to use the seats.

1. We took a piece of easy to roll carpet, made two trips to the dealer to make a pattern, and got a local upholstery shop to edge it ($10). There’s a split so we can drop the 40% side, the 60% side, or both.

Car Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive exterior

2. Less than $2 for pipe insulation foam, cut 40 / 60, to help fill the V channel.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive tire

3. We use the foam to help roll the side where we want to drop the seat.

Car Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Final pieces were Mighty Paw chew proof dog seat belts. These are designed to use the child seat latch bars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good idea but my dogs would rather sit on seat so they can look out. There noisy like that. lol
My dogs are the same way. I was going to get the Honda seat cover but after seeing on this forum what a hassle it is to install I have decided against it. I want to be able to take it off easily when not carrying my dogs. Weather Tec has one that looks more like what I am looking for.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea but my dogs would rather sit on seat so they can look out. There noisy like that. lol
My dogs are the same way. I was going to get the Honda seat cover but after seeing on this forum what a hassle it is to install I have decided against it. I want to be able to take it off easily when not carrying my dogs. Weather Tec has one that looks more like what I am looking for.
Our dogs, especially the Mini Aussie, would love to get on the seats. Heck, the Aussie would like to get on the dash, your lap, out one window and in the other. But, they're not allowed on furniture at home or in the truck! The lead lets him get front paws on the center console to see forward and get closer to us. The older, bigger GSP cross is tall enough to get his head between us as well.

We're getting the Honda seat covers for some scratch / claw protection. We're only installing the seat pieces not the back pieces.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
338 Posts
Cheapo Walmart hammock style seat cover and seatbelt tether with a harness works for my 35# mix that loves to look out the window. She's not a clawer.. Just gotta make sure the window lock is on...........

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition AWD
63 Posts
I added the WeatherTech rear seat protector for my dog, and am really pleased with it! Liked it so much I bought one for the BMW as well....

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
188 Posts
Very nice dog mod, @BaddogLT!

My dog prefers sitting up on the seat, but he's older and can't easily jump all the way up to the seat from the ground. So we figured out a nice entry and exit procedure after some trial and error. I flip up the 40 portion of the back seat. He then steps up onto the floor, then a second step on to the 60 portion of the back seat. I flip down the 40 part and he's totally happy. The procedure is reversed upon exit. It took awhile for us to figure this dance routine out, but we're a well-oiled machine nowadays.

I included a picture of my very good boy looking out of the rear sliding window. That's his favorite Ridgeline feature. Unlike most dogs that like sticking their heads out of the side windows, he prefers the rear slider.

·
Registered
481 Posts

My dog prefers sitting up on the seat, but he's older and can't easily jump all the way up to the seat from the ground. So we figured out a nice entry and exit procedure after some trial and error. I flip up the 40 portion of the back seat. He then steps up onto the floor, then a second step on to the 60 portion of the back seat. I flip down the 40 part and he's totally happy. The procedure is reversed upon exit. It took awhile for us to figure this dance routine out, but we're a well-oiled machine nowadays.

I included a picture of my very good boy looking out of the rear sliding window. That's his favorite Ridgeline feature Unlike most dogs that like sticking their heads out of the side windows, he prefers the rear slider.

View attachment 416455
The 60/40 trick is the exact same thing we do with our blood hound. They have problems jumping and just try to step up and realize their back legs can't reach without momentum ;)

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition AWD
63 Posts
The 60/40 trick is the exact same thing we do with our blood hound. They have problems jumping and just try to step up and realize their back legs can't reach without momentum ;)
I guess I have an advantage here, as our pooch is a "hefty" 20 pounds, so I just pick him up and sit him in place, fasten the harness, and away we go!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I guess I have an advantage here, as our pooch is a "hefty" 20 pounds, so I just pick him up and sit him in place, fasten the harness, and away we go!
You do, at 130lb he is the one dog I can't just lift in the truck. I used to have to help him lift his butt up which I'm sure everyone got a kick out of watching. Then one day I had the 60/40 split for other reasons and he jumped up and was like why did I not try this earlier?! lol

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic Gray Leather & 2018 Subaru Forester 2.5I Ltd Crystal White Pearl
16 Posts

I included a picture of my very good boy looking out of the rear sliding window. That's his favorite Ridgeline feature. Unlike most dogs that like sticking their heads out of the side windows, he prefers the rear slider.

View attachment 416455
My Brittany loves it too!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
2. Less than $2 for pipe insulation foam, cut 40 / 60, to help fill the V channel.
You know that you can easily pull that V channel to be your dog's life much more comfortable? Just pull it up. It can be securely stored in the trunk near the jack and it will not take any extra space. I can share some photos if it's not clear where to store it

·
Registered
2017 AWD SPORT. Peragon. 1.5x0.5 traxda lift. 265/60/18 allseason. Elec popnlock. Door hack.
432 Posts
You know that you can easily pull that V channel to be your dog's life much more comfortable? Just pull it up. It can be securely stored in the trunk near the jack and it will not take any extra space. I can share some photos if it's not clear where to store it
Yes. This. It pops off easily. You still have the metal brackets that the seats bars snap into, but that big bulky plastic piece really annoyed me. It kind of seemed like false advertising of a "completely flat floor" with that thing in there. Now, it does look kind of janky with the plastic rail removed. I have the husky all-weather floor mats that cover the whole rear floor. It has slits cut in it for the seat bars. I then have a couple moving blankets spread out on the floor for the dogs to lay on.

The combination of the husky mat and the moving blankets protect the brackets and protect the dogs from the brackets. The brackets are pretty sturdy. You just need to be a bit careful not to damage them if you are loading/unloading heavy stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.