Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 13 years with 3 different new Ridgelines (2007 / 2012 / 2017), I just sold my '17 RTL-T.

I am very, very anal with my vehicles. So, I usually have a list of potential buyers lined up long before I'm ready to sell (my last 6 new vehicles I sold to family or friends).
I've even had strangers stop by my house asking when I will be getting a new vehicle and leaving their business card for me to call when I sell. Anyway, this 'Ridge I sold to my wife's co-worker who was on the list. It had a whopping 20,400 miles on it, and by far looked nicer than when I bought it.

Anyway, I decided it was time for a change. I'll still be around reading posts, but I probably will never meet the minimum quota for "The Comma Club".
Thank-you to everyone who posted technical help on here for all of us to use/share. This has been a great group to be part of.

Take care for now guys/gals. Who knows.... maybe I'll be back in a Ridge one day. ;)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,792 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what'd you get (or what are you thinking about)?

enquiring minds want to know :LOL:
I recently purchased a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland.

I've been reading up and educating myself about them since they came out (I've owned a few Jeeps before and still have a '84 CJ7 with a CJ8 half-cab). Since I recently learned that they will not be offered in Punk'n (orange) for 2021, I started looking for what was available now (orange is my favorite color). As you can probably guess, Punk'n isn't the most common color. But, during my search, I found this one across the state line from me so I went for it.

That night when my wife came home I surprised her with my new purchase. The purchase I guess I forgot to tell her about beforehand. Luckily we are still married. :p

It coordinates well with one of my other toys...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is VERY understanding. Although, I did explain the risks of marrying me prior to getting engaged. I was upfront and admitted to her that I have an addiction... to all things automotive/mechanical. She still accepted the ring :) Of course, her rides haven't been too shabby either.

Now let me sneak into the other room and check her purse for that AMEX. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's gorgeous. What is it? I see what looks like a tiny union jack on the fender, is that a Lotus?
Yes, it's a Lotus Evora S (good spot on the union jack) . It's the only Chrome Orange 2+0 Evora S with a Cocobolo interior built that year for North America (I didn't know that at the time I placed my order. I found out later with the Certificate of Provenance).

I've made a bunch of modifications to it over time to make it resemble an Evora GTE (of which Lotus only built 20 total). The GTE was never available for sale or to import here in the States (maybe someone will after the 25 year rule). I've kept and carefully stored all the original parts to convert back to OEM someday.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I've been reading up and educating myself about them since they came out (I've owned a few Jeeps before and still have a '84 CJ7 with a CJ8 half-cab). Since I recently learned that they will not be offered in Punk'n (orange) for 2021, I started looking for what was available now (orange is my favorite color). As you can probably guess, Punk'n isn't the most common color. But, during my search, I found this one across the state line from me so I went for it.

That night when my wife came home I surprised her with my new purchase. The purchase I guess I forgot to tell her about beforehand. Luckily we are still married. :p

View attachment 404245

View attachment 404246
The Gladiators do look very cool. The only thing i don't like is the tail lights. They seem to stick out too far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gladiators do look very cool. The only thing i don't like is the tail lights. They seem to stick out too far.
That is one of the complaints I've read about often from other owners. Especially those that run them on the trails. They are known to bust them on trees and brush. And, they list for $375 ea. without the blind spot sensors. So, it can get costly.

Anyway, the Gladiator is an entirely different vehicle. I loved my Ridgelines (why I bought 3), but I'm typically a modification type of guy (aside from my vintage cars) and there isn't that much out the for the Ridgeline. So, the Gladiator is kind of like a blank slate. Modifications (even simple/small ones ones) are fun for me and also keeps me from getting bored with my vehicles.

Over the years, I had very good luck with my 3 Ridgelines, aside from the weaping water pump (covered under warranty) a few months back. All three treated me very well. They cost me virtually nothing to run aside from basic fluid changes (dealer included free oil). So, I never had a bad word to say about them and often showed them off to prospective Honda buyers. I do know that I will miss their nooks, crannies and trunk for sure. And, of course, the swing out tailgate. But, I gained a modular roof, removable doors and a higher tow capacity (amongst other things). There's always trade-offs on different vehicles I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Please help me with this question. If driving a Ridgeline on the street, city freeway, and paved hwy, is a #8, how would you rate the Gladiator (on the same streets)?

I know they are different vehicles, for different purpose, etc. Please compare them in terms of comfort, convenience, and driveability.

#10 = best
#1 = lowest

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is one of the complaints I've read about often from other owners. Especially those that run them on the trails. They are known to bust them on trees and brush. And, they list for $375 ea. without the blind spot sensors. So, it can get costly.

Anyway, the Gladiator is an entirely different vehicle. I loved my Ridgelines (why I bought 3), but I'm typically a modification type of guy (aside from my vintage cars) and there isn't that much out the for the Ridgeline. So, the Gladiator is kind of like a blank slate. Modifications (even simple/small ones ones) are fun for me and also keeps me from getting bored with my vehicles.

Over the years, I had very good luck with my 3 Ridgelines, aside from the weaping water pump (covered under warranty) a few months back. All three treated me very well. They cost me virtually nothing to run aside from basic fluid changes (dealer included free oil). So, I never had a bad word to say about them and often showed them off to prospective Honda buyers. I do know that I will miss their nooks, crannies and trunk for sure. And, of course, the swing out tailgate. But, I gained a modular roof, removable doors and a higher tow capacity (amongst other things). There's always trade-offs on different vehicles I guess.
Both look like very fun vehicles :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please help me with this question. If driving a Ridgeline on the street, city freeway, and paved hwy, is a #8, how would you rate the Gladiator (on the same streets)?

I know they are different vehicles, for different purpose, etc. Please compare them in terms of comfort, convenience, and driveability.

#10 = best
#1 = lowest
I would love to give a comparison. But having driven the Gladiator only 147 miles so far, it wouldn't be a fair one. (70 or so of those miles were back across state line on the interstate driving in the slow lane while keeping it 55 mph and below- required for the first 60 miles. And then it has to be driven moderately for remainder of the first 300 miles.)

I'll certainly come back here and provide my feedback after I log a few more miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 404245

View attachment 404246
And

View attachment 404245

View attachment 404246

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And you deserve it too! At least that's what I say to my wife when I come home with similar ' surprises.'
I've used: "Its easier to say I'm sorry..... than to ask for permission" several times in the past. :p
I even have that saying on the back of my enclosed car trailer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, considering a Gladiator too as it's far from what I need. And that's sort of the point..
I've logged a few more miles in the Gladiator. So, I feel that I can comment better on the differences between the Gladiator and the 2G Ridgeline.
Note that I have the Overland trim of the Gladiator and had the RTL-T in the Ridgeline.

Overall:

Around town, there is no real difference for me. They both ride fine. Visibility is just as good in the Gladiator as it was in the Ridgeline (although I'm probably much more visible to others since my Gladiator is Punk'n orange). Size comparison is also similar, so things like parking etc is the same. I do hate the stop/start function in the Gladiator, but I believe the new Ridgelines have that now too.

On the highway, the Gladiator rides more like a truck (I expected that based on the axles). Don't get me wrong, its not bad by any means, but it is more noticeable than the Ridgeline (for obvious reasons I don't need to state). Especially coming from 13 years of driving 'Ridges. There is also more road noise in the Gladiator than the Ridgeline had (I don't mean tire noise). But, that is a known Jeep trait and partially due to the removable tops (I have the hardtop.)

I have also noticed that the Gladiator steering appears "somewhat loose" compared to the Ridgeline. Now that I think about it, I never really paid attention to the steering in the Ridgeline - because you didn't have to. The Gladiator needs minor inputs/corrections on the highway. I did read that it may be due (to some extent) to the tire pressure. Most owners have dropped pressure down a couple pounds and it remedies this for them. I still have to give that a try.

The Ridgeline got better gas mileage. I knew that going in to the new Gladiator. Although, that wasn't a major concern for me as I only logged 20K miles in 3 1/2 years in the Ridgeline.

Some of the pros I find for the Gladiator:

1. Reverse camera is larger, crystal clear and offers a great close-up view for hitching a trailer (I have the tow package)

2. I like the driver's seating position better. You sit higher and get a better view. I think the overall seat comfort is comparable with the Ridgeline.
I had/have the leather interior in both.

3. There is a three piece removable top in the Gladiator. Nothing to compare to Ridgeline.

4. Rear doors open wider from factory on the Gladiator (I know about the 2G door hack)

5. All the doors come off the Gladiator. Again, can't compare.

6. The Gladiator's super lightweight tailgate (aluminum) can be held opened in 3 different dropped positions.

6. Although doors are lighter, they appear to shut much nicer (I know, it sounds stupid but I immediately noticed it)

7. The 8.4" radio in the Gladiator offers a bunch of features that the Ridgeline does not. The GPS appears much better and and the radio sounds better too (to me at least).

8. Greater towing capacity (depends on trim, clutch vs automatic etc. Mine is stated to tow 6344 lbs)

Some of the pros of the Ridgeline:

1. Back seat area is similar in size in both trucks, but the actual seat cushions are larger in the Gladiator, so they take up more room when put in the up position. My rear seats were in the up position 99% of the time of the Ridgeline. So, its easy to notice there is more room in the Ridgeline.

2. There is plenty of storage in the Ridgeline. The Gladiator has much less storage, especially in the cabin (they do sell aftermarket storage that helps).

3. The Ridgeline has the trunk. I really, really liked that. (My Gladiator has a lockable under rear seat storage box.)

4. Did I mention the Ridgeline trunk..... oh yeah I already did. But, that's how much I miss it :)

5. Plastic vs metal bed. I liked that I had no worries of a rusted out bed in the Ridgeline. Time will tell on the Gladiator.

6. As I already mentioned, the cabin is quieter in the Ridgeline. Although, there are (optional) factory interior headliners offered for the Gladiator (I didn't know about that when I bought it) that helps to reduce interior temps/noise. I will be getting a set of them.

7. The Ridgeline Swing out tailgate- very convenient when loading heavy objects.

Things that are different between them trucks but not a big deal to me:

1. No power seats in the Gladiator (I really don't adjust my drivers seat often anyways)

2. Step up to get into the Gladiator which I like so far.

3. As mentioned, the Gladiator is SLIGHTLY more bouncy but expected in a Jeep (and nothing compared to my '84 CJ)

I'm sure over time, I will find other differences to point out. But, these are some things off the top of my head so far. Its really too early to determine if I'll regret the change. It will probably take a few months as I typically don't log that many miles a year.

I do think that the Gladiator will be more of a fun vehicle overall. I don't think I will get bored with it as quick because there is so much more that you can do to a Jeep.

In the end, I really loved my (3) Ridgelines. They were 100% reliable and easy to drive. However, like I've mentioned before, it was time for a change.
I do hope that the Gladiator is as reliable as the Ridgelines were for me. 🤞

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Thank you for the write-up and comparison!

I would be curious / interested in a Dakota based off of the Gladiator platform, but with IFS and IRS. Apparently, FCA has most of this designed already, but are in no hurry to get it fully developed because, due to some kind of twisted logic, they believe the Ram Classic fulfills their place in the "mid-size" market. Yeah, I don't understand it, either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A few things I noticed when I checked out the Gladiator (did not drive it)...
  • The inside felt a bit cheap/underwhelming (fit/finish/materials/switchgear). I guess this is to be expected, since it plays the part of a 'rugged off-roader' and has removable roof/doors.
  • It was MUCH narrower than the Ridgeline. Both the front and back seat area felt more confined/cramped.
  • The truck bed is considerably smaller and less useful. It is much narrower with wheel wells that intrude into the bed.
  • Pricing was insane. Granted I looked at the Rubicon, but the MSRP was ~$60K! I assume pricing of lower trim levels is still significantly higher than the Ridgeline.
The Gladiator will no doubt be successful, but for an all-around suburban family hauler, it wasn't very practical.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think the Gladiator's interior looks cheaper. Just different than what I've had in the Ridgelines (unfortunately, virtually all new car interiors are covered in plastics now unless you get into the super luxury trims).

Good points on the overall size though. The Gladiator does feel narrower. Its 5" narrower I believe. Its kinda like "pinched in at the waist" since the fenders stick out from the rest of the truck. But, since its just me and my wife (no kids and the dog died :( ) it still works for me. I don't have a family to haul around.

And, the Gladiator bed is smaller. ( 60.3" long by 56.8" wide at tailgate. Floor between wheel wells is 44.8" With the tailgate down, the bed is 81.3" long) It will still haul a sheet of plywood but that's on top of the wheel wells with a board for support. Again, not an issue for me as I also have a flat bed trailer and daily access to a Ford F150.

The price of the Gladiator was considerably more than the Ridgeline. I was in the $53K range out the door with the Overland trim. However, Jeeps typically have great resale value because of their cult like following. (My neighbor just sold his 2015 Wrangler Sport for the total $ he had into it- between purchase price, lift, tires etc. He drove it for 2 years basically for free) So, I wasn't concerned about that either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts