Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drl

Does anyone know how to disable the DRL's on a 2012 RL ? Pulling the fuse does nothing.. Thanks

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Re: Drl

Take the bulbs out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Drl

I hated them also so i put yellow lens cover over them to make them fogs and will put switch someday when i get around to finding the wireing --

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2011 Ridgeline and did not like the DRL's being on. I know the purpose of them but it drives me nuts with the beige/yellow light on during the day. Since you cannot turn them off, and since you cannot unplug them or you will get the DRL idiot light, and since you cannot pull the fuse because it disables the TPS system, I figured out a way to fix all of that. I picked up four 6 ohm resistors that you use if you are running LED bulbs for blinkers. If you take two of them and wire them parallel, it drops the load to 3 ohms which is exactly what a head light bulb is. So unplug the DRL plug, wire the two resistors in parallel, and connect one end of the resistors to one wire in the plug and the other end of the resistors to the second wire in the plug. Does not matter which end of the resistor goes in to what wire. No DRL idiot light. It thinks that there are bulbs connected.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-50W-Load-Resistor-6-ohm-Fix-LED-Bulb-Fast-Hyper-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blinker-/261510632698?hash=item3ce33f94fa:g:fPMAAOSwBadTo4yz&vxp=mtr

Barry

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I'm not too sure I agree with your reasoning for disconnecting your DRL's. I have to ask, exactly how did they bother you...it's something that you can't see from the driver's seat or anyplace else in the car. These were designed to make you more visible during the day, a very important safety feature that could save your or somebody else's arse. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where's enforcement when you need it? Disabled DRLs should earn you a ticket for disabled safety equipment.

If you must do it, I hope you have the resistors placed where lots of air can get to them. They are intended to operate only when the blinkers are flashing. Even with the built in heat-sinks, running continuously those suckers will get hot. Keep them away from plastics, rubber and your wiring harness. Hate for your next post to be pictures of a burned out Ridgeline.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,385 Posts
I hate to say it but wouldn't putting a nice White LED, in the on coming vehicles actually solve you problem.:act024:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Some people dislike them because if you have one burnt out, you'll get pulled over and given a fix-it ticket. Fewer bulbs == less to go wrong.

Chip H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum...sheesh. You're just a bunch of friendly guys. What I have done is so bad big_eddy wants me to get a ticket?? As stated in the first post I understand the purpose.

I have done testing and they produce very little heat. If I was running one it produces quit a bit but I am running 2 in parallel.

I don't like the half lit light on. Looks like they are half way working. So I chose to disable them. I would rather have the driving lights on since they are fully lit. Since I had found others in the forum looking for this answer I thought I would provide one. Back to being a lurker....

Barry

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
thanks for the warm welcome to the forum...sheesh. You're just a bunch of friendly guys. What i have done is so bad big_eddy wants me to get a ticket?? As stated in the first post i understand the purpose.

I have done testing and they produce very little heat. If i was running one it produces quit a bit but i am running 2 in parallel.

I don't like the half lit light on. Looks like they are half way working. So i chose to disable them. I would rather have the driving lights on since they are fully lit. Since i had found others in the forum looking for this answer i thought i would provide one. Back to being a lurker....

Barry

yea!!! Get out of here you problem solver you!!

A drop from 6 ohm to 3 ohm wont produce much heat at all.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum...sheesh. You're just a bunch of friendly guys. What I have done is so bad big_eddy wants me to get a ticket?? As stated in the first post I understand the purpose.

I have done testing and they produce very little heat. If I was running one it produces quit a bit but I am running 2 in parallel.

I don't like the half lit light on. Looks like they are half way working. So I chose to disable them. I would rather have the driving lights on since they are fully lit. Since I had found others in the forum looking for this answer I thought I would provide one. Back to being a lurker....

Barry
Don't worry about it Barry..... there's lots of opinions on here, but there's also lots of helpful info. You don't have to agree with all of them.... we don't / can't all agree on everything. And you'll only rarely get a rude response. Have fun with your mods.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The state I grew up in had a 'test' zone for years and years, where they required headlight use all the time (this was way before DRLs, obviously). Initial data showed a reduction in collisions. Over time, that went away as people became accustomed to the headlights.

Thanks for the 'fix,' in2ford.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I replaced my DRLs and fogs with Pia bulbs. Re-wired fogs to come on with running lights. Wanted fogs to stay on with high beams. Now I run with DRLs and Fogs as my daily use. I drive on a 4 lane state road, 2 lanes each side. Have to cross the opposite lanes to enter any business. I want the guy coming at me, to see me

SENT from: My KINDLE FIRE HD

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Where's enforcement when you need it? Disabled DRLs should earn you a ticket for disabled safety equipment.
DRLs are NOT FMVSS-required equipment in the Unites States; therefore, you are not violating any laws if they aren't functioning. Most manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to implement them, but primarily for decoration and parts commonality with models that are sold in other countries where DRLs are required, such as Canada.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for that clarification ZROGER. I had begun to think, based on context here, that the laws had changed somewhere along the way that I was unaware of.

It's funny that (IIRC) GM tried DRLs in the late 90s, but they proved to be unpopular, so they discontinued this practice (again IIRC). I know I had them on my '99 AstroVan, and they were a novelty then. I didn't notice when they started to show up again.

I guess globalization has got the best of us now.

It's interesting that some folks have some fairly strong feeling on the subject!

http://www.lightsout.org/faqs.html

:)

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
It's funny that (IIRC) GM tried DRLs in the late 90s, but they proved to be unpopular, so they discontinued this practice (again IIRC). I know I had them on my '99 AstroVan, and they were a novelty then. I didn't notice when they started to show up again.

It's interesting that some folks have some fairly strong feeling on the subject!
Not only are DRLs not required in the US, they weren't even legal until 1995 when the NHTSA agreed to allow them! This is the year GM (the worst DRL "offender") started using them. The Corsica was the first to get them using high beams operating at reduced intensity. Over the last 20 years, GM and other manufacturers have used variations such as reduced-intensity high beams, dedicated white and amber lights (that are notorious for burning out - just look for all the "one-eyed" GM vehicles from the 90s-2000s running around), and now white LEDs that can be downright blinding.

Personally, I don't mind DRLs as long as they can be switched off such as when idling in a parking lot and there is no need to draw attention to yourself. This can be accomplished temporarily on many vehicles (including our Ridgelines) by ensuring the parking brake is set before turning the ignition on. If the ignition is already on, you have to shut it off, set the parking brake, then restart it - an inconvenience to say the least. If you get things out of order, you have to start over again. If you try to disable the lights by pulling fuses, bulbs, or relays, you'll get an annoying CHECK DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS warning light and/or message. Some dealers will reprogram the vehicle to disable the DRLs, but only if you have the proper credentials (i.e., law enforcement) and will otherwise generally refuse to do so.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
There was an interesting comment in that link I posted identifying which makes have DRLs, and commenting that some will disable them if requested by the owner. Sounds like this capability and maybe willingness (policy?) varies by Manufacturer.

Also interesting that most countries the REQUIRE them (DRLs) are very northern geographies (Hungary being the exception). I'm wondering if this has to do with winter visibility issues & people failing to turn on their lights when visibility is poor. (ref. same link)

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you try to disable the lights by pulling fuses, bulbs, or relays, you'll get an annoying CHECK DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS warning light and/or message.
Is this confirmed on the Ridgeline? Sorry, but I ask that out of ignorance. I pulled the DRL fuse out of my 2008 CR-V and there were no side effects. If you do get that message in your Ridgeline, do you have the RTL with navigation, so it has the expanded driver information screen?

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
There was an interesting comment in that link I posted identifying which makes have DRLs, and commenting that some will disable them if requested by the owner. Sounds like this capability and maybe willingness (policy?) varies by Manufacturer.
GM will disable the DRLs by downloading a new "calibration" (firmware) to the body control model upon request by a vehicle owned by law enforcement, military, or security company. The requester must state that the DRLs will be re-enabled before the vehicle is sold or disposed of. All paperwork must be kept on file and the dealer has to request a new calibration from GM. So, the dealer cannot disable the DRLs with their scan tool alone - GM has to approve and send new software on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis. It doesn't have to be this complicated, but they make it that way to discourage casual disabling of DRLs, which they believe should be mandatory safety equipment. BMW is a bit more liberal with DRL disablement requests, but you still have to pay to have the vehicle "re-coded".

Is this confirmed on the Ridgeline? Sorry, but I ask that out of ignorance. I pulled the DRL fuse out of my 2008 CR-V and there were no side effects. If you do get that message in your Ridgeline, do you have the RTL with navigation, so it has the expanded driver information screen?
Go pull a DRL fuse, bulb, or relay and see what happens. :) Some models are as fortunate as your 2008 CR-V, but most will set off a warning. On non-navi 2009-2014 Ridgelines, you'll get a "DRL" light. On navi models, you'll also get a "CHECK DRL SYSTEM" message.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts